1. 1. The National or Lucinda Williams?

• The National
    • Lucindia Williams
    • both suck

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really kick myself for being too lazy to drive the hour and a half to see her back in July. I knew I'd regret it later. I haven't given West enough of a listen to be able to vote, but what I did hear definitely didn't grab me. I feel like she hasn't put out anything better than Car Wheels On A Gravel Road yet, though I have faith she's capable of it.

I really kick myself for being too lazy to drive the hour and a half to see her back in July. I knew I'd regret it later. I haven't given West enough of a listen to be able to vote, but what I did hear definitely didn't grab me. I feel like she hasn't put out anything better than Car Wheels On A Gravel Road yet, though I have faith she's capable of it.

that's kinda my feeling unfortunately.

don't get me wrong, i LOVE Lu, hell, i have a pretty crazy personal connection to her actually, but while Essence was solid, the last 2 studio albums feel like coasting to me and both are wrought with some really bad lyrics.

case in point:

I shudder to think

What it would mean

If the president wore pink

Or if a prostitute was queen

What would happen then

How would the world change

If thick became thin

And the world was rearranged

If the rains brought down the moon

And daylight was feared

And the sun rose too soon

And then just disappeared

If dogs became kings

And the Pope chewed gum

And hobos had wings

And God was a bum

If houses became trees

And flowers turned to stone

And there were no families

And people lived alone

If buildings started laughing

And windows cried

And feet started clapping

And out came inside

If mountains fell in slivers

And the sky began to bleed

And blood filled up the rivers

And prisoners were freed

If the stars fell apart

And the ocean dried up

And the world was one big heart

And decided to stop

If children grew up happier

And they could run with the wolves

And they never felt trapped

Or hungry or unloved

If cats walked on water

And birds had bank accounts

And we loved one another

In equal amounts

sorry, but that's like sixth grade lit class stuff right there... :yucky:

Huh. solace is being ornery.

or ready to go home :stunned

I saw her open for Ryan Adams a few months ago and she was an hour long snoozefest. One of the longer hours of my life, actually. And I've never been able to get into her studio stuff, though I do admit I haven't given it much of a chance.

The National, on the other hand, are brilliant both live and on record.

whenever the song Righteously (which i'll admit is pretty repetitive to the point of borderline annoying) came on the radio when that album was being pushed, my wife would yell at me to turn the station immediately. she couldn't believe I actually listened to and liked Lucinda :lol

Lucinda Williams probably released the worst album of her career this year, while The National definitely released one of the best albums of the year.

You should see a Psychiatrist about that, you're clearly delusional :stunned

I saw her open for Ryan Adams a few months ago and she was an hour long snoozefest. One of the longer hours of my life, actually. And I've never been able to get into her studio stuff, though I do admit I haven't given it much of a chance.

The National, on the other hand, are brilliant both live and on record.

I saw her open for Bob Dylan back in 2003 and she was marvelous, though she only got to play five or six songs. She writes about heartbreak so brilliantly, but it seems like her most recent breakup didn't hit her hard enough to get her out of her songwriting slump.

That said, I really can't get into the National because I can't stand the lead singer's voice. I don't know what it is. Musically, I like their sound, but it's ruined for me as soon as the singing starts. I respect them, I just don't really like them.

don't get me wrong, i LOVE Lu, hell, i have a pretty crazy personal connection to her actually, but while Essence was solid, the last 2 studio albums feel like coasting to me and both are wrought with some really bad lyrics.
Absolutely the truth..not to mention the waste of some great back-up musicians. I borrowed the review copy from Laurie's and may never even buy a used copy.

Who is Lucindia Williams? :cheers
You must be a kid...or kidding...

Car Wheels > The National's entire discography > Lucinda's discography minus Car Wheels

If that makes sense.

Sorry. I have heard the National (well Alligator only) and while they are quite good, Lucinda has some marvelous records besides car wheels. Dig a bit deeper.

LouieB

Which one was Sweet Relief intended to benefit, Lucinda Williams or Victoria Williams? I get them confused. I know that one was the intended beneficiary of the proceeds of the album, while the other contributed song to the album to benefit the other. I'm confused.

Regardless, Boxer is one of the best albums of the year.

Which one was Sweet Relief intended to benefit, Lucinda Williams or Victoria Williams? I get them confused. I know that one was the intended beneficiary of the proceeds of the album, while the other contributed song to the album to benefit the other. I'm confused.

Victoria Williams. the ex-Mrs. Mark Olson

Victoria.