Kinks set to reformSixties stars The Kinks are on the verge of reforming with their original line-up.Lead singer and guitarist Ray Davies, 63, says a full reunion is on the cards next year for the first time in almost 40 years.

The band, whose hits include You Really Got Me and Waterloo Sunset, consisted of Ray, brother Dave on guitar, Mick Avory on drums and Pete Quaife on bass.

But Pete left in 1969 and they then continued with changing line-ups until 1996.class=ad-mpu-head id=mpu1header style: none"Dave had a stroke in 2004 and Pete has kidney problems - but Ray says both are keen to get back together.

He said: "I spoke to Quaife about a month ago and he dearly wants to make another record with me.

"I think Dave's getting better and Mick's still playing. It would be great to get back together just to see what musical ideas we had and what would happen." Ray, now a solo artist, told Record Collector he missed being part of a band. He added: "You miss the interactive stuff. You get it to a degree with other musicians but probably not with the same passion."

Any reunion is likely to coincide with next year's release of a Kinks CD box set called Retrospective.

per wikipedia:

As of 2006, Davies has somewhat recovered. He can walk and talk and play guitar, but has a hard time singing and playing at the same time, and has not been able to go on tour.

I remember Ray saying (at his solo show at The Vic in Chicago 1-2 years ago) that he was working with Dave, and he mentioned the same struggle of Dave not being able to sing and play at the same time. So *crosses fingers*

According to an interview with Ray from Mojo Magazine last year, he said he would only do it if they would do new songs. I don't believe that - if they end up doing a show I would think it would be made up of mostly the old British Invasion stuff. I wonder if out of all those bands they have the most albums -

1. The Kinks (Released in the US as You Really Got Me)

I'm thinking that the Stones might have more.

Particularly if you throw in the live albums and the complilations, many more. Also the Stones still produce (for what they are worth) the occasional album of new material.

LouieB

Maybe @ 40 minus all the live/hits albums - comes out about the same?

Wikipedia says 55 total.

LouieB

Well - you also get into American vs. English versions of the early stuff. I think a good number of those Stones albums are greatest hits albums. I like the way they are listed in Wikipedia - I did not cut and paste the Stones list - as it is listed different.

Here are the Kinks hits/compilation/etc/ list:

* 1966 Greatest Hits! #4 UK, #50 US,

* 1966 Well Respected Kinks #5 UK,

* 1967 Sunny Afternoon #9 UK,

* 1970 The Kinks ["The Black Album"]

* 1971 Hit Collection

* 1971 Kinks Greatest Hits

* 1971 Golden Hour of The Kinks #21 UK,

* 1972 The Kink Kronikles #94 US,

* 1973 Lola

* 1973 The Great Lost Kinks Album

* 1973 Golden Hour of The Kinks Vol. 2

* 1974 Lola, Percy and the Apeman Come Face to Face With the Village Green Preservation Society... Something Else

* 1975 The Pye History of British Pop Music: The Kinks

* 1976 The Kinks' Greatest: Celluloid Heroes

* 1977 The File Series: The Kinks

* 1978 20 Golden Greats #19 UK,

* 1980 Spotlight on The Kinks

* 1980 You Really Got Me

* 1980 Second Time Around

* 1981 Hit Station

* 1983 The Kinks Collection

* 1983 Candy From Mr Dandy

* 1983 Dead End Street: Kinks Greatest Hits

* 1984 20th Anniversary Box Set

* 1984 Kinks Kollectables

* 1984 The Kinks: A Compleat Collection

* 1984 The Kinks: A Compleat Collection - 20th Anniversary Edition

* 1985 Backtrackin': The Definitive Double-Album Collection

* 1986 Come Dancing With The Kinks: The Best of 1977-1986

* 1987 The Kinks Are Well Respected Men

* 1987 The Kinks Hit Singles

* 1988 Kinks-Size / Kinkdom

* 1989 25 Years - The Ultimate Collection

* 1989 Best of The Kinks 1964-65

* 1989 From 64 to 70

* 1989 PRT Collector

* 1989 The Kinks Greatest Hits

* 1989 The Ultimate Collection #35 UK,

* 1990 Fab Forty

* 1990 The EP Collection

* 1991 The Complete Collection

* 1991 You Really Got Me

* 1991 Lost & Found (1986-89)

* 1992 The Kinks

* 1992 The Kinks Story Vol. 1: 1964-1966

* 1992 The Kinks Story Volume 2: 1967-1971

* 1992 The Kinks - The Collection

* 1992 The EP Collection Vol. Two

* 1993 Gold (Greatest Hits)

* 1993 The Definitive Collection: The Kinks Greatest Hits #18 UK,

* 1994 Preservation - A Play in Two Acts

* 1994 The Best of: 20 Classic Tracks

* 1994 You Really Got Me: The Very Best of The Kinks

* 1995 The Story of the Kinks

* 1995 Tired of Waiting for You

* 1996 The Kinks

* 1997 Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 Pop Legends

* 1997 The Very Best of: 25 Original Recordings

* 1997 The Singles Collection

* 1998 God Save The Kinks, Vol. 1

* 1998 God Save The Kinks, Vol. 2

* 1998 God Save The Kinks, Vol. 3

* 1998 Limited Edition Compilation: Music From the First Four Velvel Reissues

* 1998 It's The Kinks

* 1998 Limited Edition Compilation 2

* 1998 The EP Collection

* 1999 Greatest Hits

* 1999 Limited Edition Compilation 3

* 2000 You Really Got Me: The Best of The Kinks

* 2000 The EP Collection Vol. 2 (box set)

* 2001 The Marble Arch Years

* 2002 The Ultimate Collection #1 UK indie (2007)

* 2005 The Pye Album Collection (10 CD box set)

• 3 weeks later...

i would be the happiest clam in the mud if this were to happen and if dave were really up for it. even up through the last time i saw them in the 90s on the UK Jive tour the kinks were one of if not the best live bands i've ever seen. if they could manage half of that - even with someone backing up dave on his songs - i'd be quite happy. even if its just another album and no tour.

even up through the last time i saw them in the 90s on the UK Jive tour the kinks were one of if not the best live bands i've ever seen.

A lot of people feel that way. I know a guy who has been going to one or more concert a week since the late '60s. I once asked him what were the best shows he'd ever seen. He wasn't specific, but he said of his top five shows, the Kinks occupied at least three spots.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Ray Davies: Kinks Writing New Material

November 05, 2008 , 12:05 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Kinks are writing songs for a potential reunion album, frontman Ray Davies told BBC News. "We've started a little bit of this and that," he said. But it is too early to judge the quality.

"It depends if there's good music. We want good new music. I'd like to do it as a more collaborative thing than we used to do."

The Kinks disbanded in 1996 after a 30-plus year reign as one of the most influential bands in rock history. Davies' brother/Kinks guitarist Dave Davies suffered a stroke in 2004 but has returned to music in recent years, opening the door for Kinks activity.

The problem: Dave Davies seems to want no part of a reunion, having posted on his Web site earlier this year that "it would be like a poor remake of 'Night of the Livin (sic) Dead' " and declaring that Ray has been doing "Karaoke Kinks shows since 1996." Ray's response to Billboard at the time: "He's getting well enough to shout at me. That's a good sign."

According to the BBC, Davies has several other projects on tap, including an album with a choir and another album he hopes will include collaborations with members of Snow Patrol, Razorlight and ... Chuck Berry.

"I've never met the man but he was one of my heroes as a lyricist," he said. We'll see how it works out -- a mixture of Snow Patrol and Chuck Berry. It should be an interesting record."

A guy I know is making a movie about trying to get the Kinks to reunite.

He talks to, and plays with, Sting, Robyn Hitchcock, and others.

The trailer is here:

That was fabulous! Compliments to your friend. :worship

I almost got to see the Kinks once.....had tickets for a tour sometime about, I think, 1980? But Ray and Dave got into a big fistfight the night before the show I was going to see, and cancelled the rest of the tour. I was SO pissed!!!! Worse yet, they patched things up a day later and resumed the tour.....so the only date missed was the one I had tickets for! Doesn't it just figure! :lol

Maybe someday, huh?