R.E.M. - ACCELERATE

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. Reminds me of Monster... not their greatest record in my humble opinion.

But to be honest: I'm really, really, really looking forward to this record. Hope it'll be better than their last 3 albums.

i still love Monster... for what it was, they suceeded greatly and it was a re-awakening in some aspects.

i'm excited to hear this new one.

The National will likely be opening some of their US tour in April

i still love Monster... for what it was, they suceeded greatly and it was a re-awakening in some aspects.

i'm excited to hear this new one.

The National will likely be opening some of their US tour in April

Where did you hear of the us tour in April???? I am going to Langerdero which is in March though...

:stunned

I'm very much anticipating the new album. I have been somewhat disappointed in there recent albums. They seem to be leaning more towards the electronic/synth type sound. I hope the new rocked out album is a sign of things to come.

I'm not excited at all...and this is from someone who counts R.E.M. as their #3 band ever, after The Beatles and The Stones. I don't want high energy R.E.M.; I want weird R.E.M. that underwhelms at first then grows on you, and eventually becomes indispensable. I didn't like Murmur at first, and now it's my favorite record of the 80s. I was underwhelmed by Automatic for the People at first, now it's my favorite record of the 90s.

Great records don't instantly reveal themselvs..they're murmurs that eventually develop into voices that document an important part of Life's rich pageant. They're definitely not automatic for the people. (I'm sorry, I got on a punning spree and couldn't stop.)

That being said, I will still give my kidneys to see them and The National on their tour.

I'm very much anticipating the new album. I have been somewhat disappointed in there recent albums. They seem to be leaning more towards the electronic/synth type sound. I hope the new rocked out album is a sign of things to come.

hmm.... only Up was like that... :unsure

I've been lukewarm about everything since Out Of Time.

I must be old.

i didn't care for that one all too much to be honest (Losing My Religion to this day still makes me kinda queazy), but Automatic, Monster, and especially New Adventures In Hi-Fi are all fantastic.

R.E.M. Prepares To 'Accelerate'

R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe and Mike Mills

January 02, 2008, 10:40 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Nobody would ever confuse R.E.M. for Metallica, but the guitars have definitely been turned up for the Georgia group's 14th studio album, "Accelerate," due April 1 via Warner Bros.

Nearly all the material was tested out during a summer run in Dublin, although manager Bertis Downs tells Billboard a few of those songs didn't make the cut, and that a couple of album tunes were held back from live airings.

Mostly gone is the drowsy vibe of 2004's "Around the Sun," with "Living Well Is the Best Revenge," "Horse to Water," "Aftermath" and "Until the Day Is Done" recapturing the old R.E.M. energy. "It's not like we're going to pretend these are ballads. These are rockers," Downs says.

"I feel like there's a confidence in the material, and a communication between the three of us that hasn't been there for some time," frontman Michael Stipe told Uncut. "We didn't talk to each other for a couple of records -- as friends or as bandmates. And we reached a point before this LP where we just sat down at a table and hashed it out."

R.E.M. will tour this spring; for now, the lone confirmed date is an appearance at the Langerado Festival, which runs March 6-9 in Big Cypress, Fla.

I am tentatively optimistic. I saw most of the Dublin sessions on youtube (they are still there) and can still recall the melody to 4 or 5 songs. After "Around The Sun" I hoped the band would fold: it was that bad. The other good thing about Dublin was they dusted off lots of goodies from 1982 to 1985 they hadn't played in ages. Other news for the tour is they won't be bringing Ken Stringfellow who has played keyboards and strings on the last 2 or 3 tours. So I am hoping for a lean, hungry REM with something to prove.

This band would be infinitely better if Bill Berry decided he didn't want to be a peanut farmer anymore.
As a one-time hard-core REM devotee, I've slackened in my admiration ever since Monster. I didn't even bother buying Around the Sun. But I distinctly recall Bill had become a Sushi chef at one point.

I too, wish he would climb behind the drum kit once again.

cheers,

b.s.