Carter had 3% of the vote in Dec. '75. Just for the sake of argument.

Yeah, but Carter wasn't a senile old man who wants to disband the entire government, and who's only supporters are college kids with too much time on their hands. Key difference.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but Carter wasn't a senile old man who wants to disband the entire government, and who's only supporters are college kids with too much time on their hands. Key difference.

Exactly. It does baffle me somewhat that the younger voters are so enamored with a 75 year old man with like 15 grandkids. That's pretty unusual by itself. I wouldn't consider him senile, just misguided.

It seems ironic to me that Carter lost in '80 to someone who was kind of senile and preached about less government.

Everyone has their shortcomings.

Most of my beef with Ron Paul is the fact that his supporters on (college campuses) are pretentious asshats who put graffiti all over the campus (Our campus is actually really nice, and doesn't need that bullshit).

I don't like his policies, but I dislike his supporters.

Most of my beef with Ron Paul is the fact that his supporters on (college campuses) are pretentious asshats who put graffiti all over the campus (Our campus is actually really nice, and doesn't need that bullshit).

I don't like his policies, but I dislike his supporters.

His supporters are kind of obnoxious.

I would agree that most Ron Paul supporters are nuts. But you cannot argue with results, or their ability to raise money, 5 million in one day! While personally supporting Paul, I know he will never win, nor do I car much for the love-lution campaign. What I do like is that he said that he would leave people alone, and that is what I personally like.

well, I guess Tweedling is voting for Obama then.
He said Obama won't win because of his middle name.
oh yeah, I forgot about that.

That was before Oprah.

Couldn't you guys have said all this to each other in your living room or something? :lol

Honestly, I find this shit exciting. I wish I could take a hit day tomorrow and just glue myself to the TV.

I have a friend who is treating this like the superbowl.

I'm curious who Kendrick is pulling for. I'd assume his buddy Tim Ryan would be going with his fellow Rep from Ohio.

I really hope something totally unexpected happens.

That was before Oprah.

Couldn't you guys have said all this to each other in your living room or something? :lol

yeah, because we are both in our living room and in each other's company 24 hours a day. I wouldn't mind being with my husband that much, since he is my favorite person on earth, but sadly that's not our reality.

--

mb - I know, I am really excited too. I will be glued to NPR most of the day/evening.

The Ron Paul thing is just so perplexing to me. The other board I go to(which skews a bit younger than here), there are a bunch of self-proclaimed libertarians where many of them think differently on a lot of political points -- but they all seem to be sure that Ron Paul is the way of the future. It's really kind of bizarre.

I mean, is there NO other candidate out there that libertarians support?

I like what someone else said as far as his internet support, this guy is like the Arcade Fire of the 2008 election.

Guest Speed Racer

This definitely makes up for the fact that I have practically nothing to do at work tomorrow. Though I want to make predictions for each, I still think that the Dems are really a toss-up.

Like I said, I really admire Ron Paul for speaking truth on the war and not giving in to the "double Guantanamo" bullshit.......you know when Fox News wants to shut you up and shut you out, you might be onto something. ;)

It was really weird seeing Paul supporters at the anti war demonstration we went to a few month ago. They were everywhere. Just strange seeing a GOP name in that environment.

However, his domestic policies would be :yucky

--

I have no predictions for either race.....

I am pulling for Obama. If Edwards got the nod, I would be happy. How about an Obama/Edwards ticket? Sounds good to me. It makes me sad that the first time there is a viable woman candidate, I am not interested - but, no thanks Hillary. Still, I will vote for her in the general election, if she's the candidate.

Like I said before, I just can't even choose a GOP candidate that I hate less than the others. I pretty much despise each one equally for different reasons. I keep trying to think, "well, so and so wouldn't be SO bad....." but nope, can't do it.

from one of the blogs I read....

One last night for the candidates to make their case. Hillary will be on Letterman tonight. She taped it in Cedar Rapids. She then went to her Des Moines campaign office to give a pep talk to staffers.

John Edwards made 11 stops today and is finishing with a big event in Des Moines with John Mellencamp

When all is said and done the best-case scenario (imo) is RP changing his mind and running a third-party candidacy. That would undoubtably fracture the Republicans even more than they already are.

I also think that whoever gets the nod no the Dem side should give serious consideration to Sen. Joe as a possible VP or Sec. of State. I could get behind a Obama/ Biden ticket - haven't I said this before?

ostrich-head.jpg

Entirely not the case, I would go so far as to say anyone who truly believes real change will come from a mainstream candidate has their head buried deep in the sand.

How will an Obama presidency differ drastically from a Romney presidency? Both are beholden to corporate interests. Aside from potential Supreme Court appointees, I suspect, based on this countries history, nothing meaningful will come about, whether the president be a Democrat or Republican.

Kucinich is on to something, but neither he nor anyone like him has a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting elected (partly because we are so shallow a nation as to put an inordinate amount of stock in whether or not someone looks presidential

How will an Obama presidency differ drastically from a Romney presidency? Both are beholden to corporate interests. Aside from potential Supreme Court appointees, I suspect, based on this countries history, nothing meaningful will come about, whether the president be a Democrat or Republican.

is this a joke??? i will never understand why folks think Dems and Republicans are anything less than exact polar opposites. Kennedy Carter and Clinton vs Nixon Reagan and The Bushes???!!!! I mean are you friggin kidding me??? Ive been in Washington most of the last ten years and I dont understand why people believe this claptrap crap. It couldnt be further from the truth IMO

McCain is the only person that the Republicans couldnt even have a chance in hell of winning with IMO. I'll be scared if he's the nominee. Otherwise they are done regardless of who the Democrats field.

IMO

is this a joke??? i will never understand why folks think Dems and Republicans are anything less than exact polar opposites. Kennedy Carter and Clinton vs Nixon Reagan and The Bushes???!!!! I mean are you friggin kidding me??? Ive been in Washington most of the last ten years and I dont understand why people believe this claptrap crap. It couldnt be further from the truth IMO

McCain is the only person that the Republicans couldnt even have a chance in hell of winning with IMO. I'll be scared if he's the nominee. Otherwise they are done regardless of who the Democrats field.

IMO

Not at all.

Please, explain how they are polar opposites