The Grateful Dead

I was just wondering if anyone has heard if there is going to be a live stream tonite of the Dead and the Allman's at Penn State? I spoke with Scott about a hour ago and he was two hours away from Penn State, I am so glad that he is able to be there not just for the music but for the democratic party too.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering if anyone has heard if there is going to be a live stream tonite of the Dead and the Allman's at Penn State? I spoke with Scott about a hour ago and he was two hours away from Penn State, I am so glad that he is able to be there not just for the music but for the democratic party too.

Great Scott!

I will check and see.

There is no word of a stream at dead.net.

Edited by Analogman

There was no broadcast of any kind, I'm not even sure they allowed taping.

Looks like it was all killer, no filler.

Truckin >

US Blues

Help on the Way >

Slipknot >

Franklin's Tower

Playin in the Band>

Dark Star >

St. Stephen >

Unbroken Chain >

Other One >

Throwin Stones >

Playin reprise

Encore

Phil rap >

Bobby rap >

Touch of Grey >

Not Fade Away

Here's hoping it went well enough last night for the collective to press for a spring/summer tour together.

Let's hope so, I spoke to Scott about three hours ago, he said they played until 12:10, that is all I will tell I am sure once he gets home he will let you all know how it went.

RatDog, Phil Lesh & Friends to Welcome 2009 in San Francisco

Bob Weir & RatDog & Phil Lesh & Friends to Co-Headline each night.

Jackie Greene to support each night.

Dates: December 30 & 31, 2008

Venue: Bill Graham Civic Auditorium

City/St: San Francisco, CA

Doors: 5:00 PM

Showtime: 6:00 PM

Pre-sales through GDTS Too and Musictoday shall start accepting postmarks for GDTS Too and be initialized for internet sales via Musictoday, starting on Thursday, October 16. Musictoday to start at Noon EST. Pre-sales for GDTS and Musictoday shall conclude on Friday, October 31 at 6:00 PM EST.

Public OnSale is Sunday, November 2 at 10:00 AM PST.

The Four Winds blew me safely home. A couple of quick thoughts: #1 - there are few places I've seen that are more beautiful than the area surrounding State College PA in the Fall. The colors of the trees were so vibrant it was just astonishing.

And #2: OH YEAH TO BE BACK IN THE ROOM WITH THE BOYS AGAIN! :dancing Anyone caught sniveling about that set list should be kicked squarely in the nuts.

We went by it, and saw it, but no. We had just enough time to get checked into the hotel and then it was off to the show. Very little swag in the lot, but I did get Michelle a "Deadheads for Obama" shirt.

Also, I sat with tapers so the show should be up somewhere soon (if not already).

Ok. I thought about posting this in after the show but I figured the people who really give a shit would probably come here to read it anyway.

The Bryce Jordan is a typical college arena of (my guess) 12K. The show was supposedly sold out but there was plenty of room on the floor after you got past the first 20 rows or so. We had the GA on the floor. Most of the time I hung back at the soundboard.

The Allmans delivered their usual solid set. Susan Tedeschi came out and did Dylan's "Don't Think Twice", which she started solo and then the band added some subtle, cool accompaniment. Next up came Derek & the Dominoes "Anyday" with Susan and Oteil handling the vocals. Maybe my favorite part of the set. A killer "Jessica" (is there any other kind?) brought the set near a close, and who would argue with a "Whpping Post" encore? Warren served up his usual meaty solos and Derek continues to amaze me...he seems hell-bent on finding the most inventive, least repetitive phrases he can muster. 2 hours straight through.

At about 9:40 the Dead came out and played for 2 1/2 hours without a break. I'm glad Matt posted the setlist, but to be honest, with the exception of the opener and the H/S/F trilogy there really should be almost no arrows there. The setlist was a dream come true for everyone I'd imagine, but the boys had a really hard time constructing any segues. Playin', Dark Star, and Stephen all came to complete stops - very strange indeed. The bodies of the songs were very nice and noodley, but there was an obvious difficulty in connecting tunes. It also was almost comical when during the jam in Chain (where there are the two different themes that go back-and-forth) it seemed hard to make the thing turn the corner - they'd just stay in the "stronger than dirt"-type part or the major key jazzy part for a long time without smoothly changing gears. Not hard to understand - when was the last time they played together?

Mick and Billy also tried hard to steer Stephen into The Eleven but there was no point where the guys could get all their ducks lined up in a row and just SLAM into it so it petered out. At 11:30 the house lights came on during a song and stayed on for about 5 minutes...we all thought the plug was about to be pulled - but NO! The lights went back down and they did Throwing which contained one of Mr. Haynes' most inspired solos of the whole night.

Phil did his donor rap before the encores, and Bobby did a 'vote' rap (Lammy, you'll did this): "As Hunter S. Thompson once said > 'If every Deadhead in the state of Florida would have voted in 2000 the world would be a very different place'". How true.

For once, Touch seemed like an important statement to make and the NFA was icing on the cake. Phil was WAY cranked up in the mix for the encores and for a moment time sort of stood still for me - although I'd never been to this arena it felt like EVERY OTHER PLACE I'd ever followed the guys to - just such an amazing feeling. I missed this so much, and to be hanging with a truly great friend made it something for the memory books.

Don't forget to vote!

Ok. I thought about posting this in after the show but I figured the people who really give a shit would probably come here to read it anyway.

The Bryce Jordan is a typical college arena of (my guess) 12K. The show was supposedly sold out but there was plenty of room on the floor after you got past the first 20 rows or so. We had the GA on the floor. Most of the time I hung back at the soundboard.

The Allmans delivered their usual solid set. Susan Tedeschi came out and did Dylan's "Don't Think Twice", which she started solo and then the band added some subtle, cool accompaniment. Next up came Derek & the Dominoes "Anyday" with Susan and Oteil handling the vocals. Maybe my favorite part of the set. A killer "Jessica" (is there any other kind?) brought the set near a close, and who would argue with a "Whpping Post" encore? Warren served up his usual meaty solos and Derek continues to amaze me...he seems hell-bent on finding the most inventive, least repetitive phrases he can muster. 2 hours straight through.

At about 9:40 the Dead came out and played for 2 1/2 hours without a break. I'm glad Matt posted the setlist, but to be honest, with the exception of the opener and the H/S/F trilogy there really should be almost no arrows there. The setlist was a dream come true for everyone I'd imagine, but the boys had a really hard time constructing any segues. Playin', Dark Star, and Stephen all came to complete stops - very strange indeed. The bodies of the songs were very nice and noodley, but there was an obvious difficulty in connecting tunes. It also was almost comical when during the jam in Chain (where there are the two different themes that go back-and-forth) it seemed hard to make the thing turn the corner - they'd just stay in the "stronger than dirt"-type part or the major key jazzy part for a long time without smoothly changing gears. Not hard to understand - when was the last time they played together?

Mick and Billy also tried hard to steer Stephen into The Eleven but there was no point where the guys could get all their ducks lined up in a row and just SLAM into it so it petered out. At 11:30 the house lights came on during a song and stayed on for about 5 minutes...we all thought the plug was about to be pulled - but NO! The lights went back down and they did Throwing which contained one of Mr. Haynes' most inspired solos of the whole night.

Phil did his donor rap before the encores, and Bobby did a 'vote' rap (Lammy, you'll did this): "As Hunter S. Thompson once said > 'If every Deadhead in the state of Florida would have voted in 2000 the world would be a very different place'". How true.

For once, Touch seemed like an important statement to make and the NFA was icing on the cake. Phil was WAY cranked up in the mix for the encores and for a moment time sort of stood still for me - although I'd never been to this arena it felt like EVERY OTHER PLACE I'd ever followed the guys to - just such an amazing feeling. I missed this so much, and to be hanging with a truly great friend made it something for the memory books.

Don't forget to vote!

Great post. I got the set list from the philzone, usually a little unreliable. I am currently listening to this source (I'm only at Franklins) and while it is quiet rough, its by no means bad. A little rehearsal is all they need. Warren doesn't do it for me on the lead though, there are a few other people I would like to hear over warren (sless or trey or maybe some guy named Jerry Garcia :music ).

ETA: I've been up too penn state a few times, your right it really is beautiful in the fall.

I wish The Allman Brothers would wake up and allow their shows to be put up at BT sites. Speaking of Presidential campaigns, The Allman Brothers once did a show for another great man, President Jimmy Carter.

I wish The Allman Brothers would wake up and allow their shows to be put up at BT sites. Speaking of Presidential campaigns, The Allman Brothers once did a show for another great man, President Jimmy Carter.

Yeah, what's up with that I wonder? Especially if they're AUDs. Do they do the 'instant live' SBD thing ala P&F? This was the first time I've caught the ABB since about '04.

I have a pic around here somewhere with Jimmy and the boys backstage from that benefit show. Ahh, the good ol' daze.

Yeah, what's up with that I wonder? Especially if they're AUDs. Do they do the 'instant live' SBD thing ala P&F? This was the first time I've caught the ABB since about '04.

I have a pic around here somewhere with Jimmy and the boys backstage from that benefit show. Ahh, the good ol' daze.

They allow taping and trading, just not online. I don't get that.

I was looking for that photo - could not find it. There are some other photos of him, Phil, Greg, and Dickey, out there that I had not seen before.

Everybody say "Happy Birthday Bobby!"

Hard to believe but the 'kid' is 61.

Bobby: "Okay, gather 'round kids. I'm gonna tell y'all a story. Anyway, if...some of you maybe have heard this one before."

Jerry: "Aaaaaaaaaaauuuuwwwwuh."

Unknown: "Is it bedtime already?"

Jerry: "I'm falling asleep."

Bobby: "Well, then just shut up and I'll tell you when its the punchline, because it's really funny. Anyway, it goes like this. There was once this guy, and he had a dog. It wasn't just a regular dog. It was a short, fat, squat, ugly, little yellow dog. And, anyway, he was out walking this short, fat, squat, ugly, little yellow dog. And he decided he was thirsty. Figured he go into a bar. He did that. He did just that. Went into a bar. And sitting down the bar from him was this guy with a big, black, slick, mean looking dog-all toothy and gnarly and slick and mean looking. And the guy with the big, black, slick, mean looking dog shouted down the bar to the guy with the short, fat, squat, ugly, little yellow dog and said "Hey, that sure is an ugly little dog you got there, all short, fat, squat, ugly and yellow." And the guy said "Yeah, well he may be ugly, but he sure can fight!" Yeah, that's what he said. Anyway, so the guy said, "Oh yeah? Well, why don't we take them out back, and we'll have them fight it out. And I'll put a five dollar bill on mine says he wins." And the guy with the short, fat, squat, ugly little yellow dog agrees with the guy with the big, black, slick, mean-looking dog and said yeah, we'll do that. And, so, anyway, they went out back, and they had it out. And the short, fat, squat, ugly, little yellow dog just whipped the shit out of this big, black, slick, mean-looking dog. After the fight, that short, fat, squat, ugly, little yellow dog was looking good, or as good as he ever looked, I guess. And the big, black, slick, mean-looking dog was reduced to a pile of fur. Anyway, the guy said, "Well, you were right. He sure could fight." The guy with the short, fat, squat, ugly, little yellow dog said to the guy with the big, black, slick, mean-looking dog said, "Yeah, I was right. He sure could fight. Anyway, where's my five dollars?" The guy gave him his five dollars and said, "Yeah, but I never seen a dog like that, anyway. I mean all short, fat, squat, ugly, little and yellow. What kind of dog is that? I've never seen one of them." The guy said, "Well, he used to be an alligator before I cut off his tail and painted him yellow.""