The Grateful Dead

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume 1: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1959-1974

I finally ordered it last night - I got it for $17.40.

Amazon has it listed, starting at 54 bucks. Looks like you got a good deal.

A year ago, Vol 3 was going for $140 on Amazon. I found Vol 3 at a book store, which was going out of business. I think I paid $15.

Get all three, you'll love 'em.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon has it listed, starting at 54 bucks. Looks like you got a good deal.

A year ago, Vol 3 was going for $140 on Amazon. I found Vol 3 at a book store, which was going out of business. I think I paid $15.

Get all three, you'll love 'em.

Oh, it's an ongoing quest. The Addendum does not even really appear anywhere - it goes for 400-500 bucks as far as I can tell. That is sort of my dream, to find II, III, and the Addendum somewhere for a good price. There was a copy of the second one for about 40 bucks on Amazon, but someone snagged it before I could order it.

A week ago, I missed my chance to post a shout-out for my very last show w/Jerry and the boys, 9/13/91. So here's one for today. What a setlist!

Fillmore East, NY, NY

9/20/70

Uncle John's Band, Deep Elem Blues, Friend Of The Devil, Big Railroad Blues, Dark Hollow, Ripple, To Lay Me Down, Truckin', Rosalie McFall, Cumberland Blues, New Speedway Boogie, Brokedown Palace

Casey Jones, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Candyman, Sitting On Top Of The World, Good Lovin'-> Drums-> Good Lovin', Big Boy Pete, Me & My Uncle, Easy Wind, Sugar Magnolia, Attics Of My Life, Mama Tried, Not Fade Away-> Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)-> We Bid You Good Night

A week ago, I missed my chance to post a shout-out for my very last show w/Jerry and the boys, 9/13/91. So here's one for today. What a setlist!

Fillmore East, NY, NY

9/20/70

Uncle John's Band, Deep Elem Blues, Friend Of The Devil, Big Railroad Blues, Dark Hollow, Ripple, To Lay Me Down, Truckin', Rosalie McFall, Cumberland Blues, New Speedway Boogie, Brokedown Palace

Casey Jones, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Candyman, Sitting On Top Of The World, Good Lovin'-> Drums-> Good Lovin', Big Boy Pete, Me & My Uncle, Easy Wind, Sugar Magnolia, Attics Of My Life, Mama Tried, Not Fade Away-> Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)-> We Bid You Good Night

Hell yeah. One of the best acoustic sets around there. Must hear stuff.

Fillmore East, NY, NY

9/20/70

I've never seen a setlist with so many American Beauty songs on it. I wonder why they never played many songs off of this album? IMO, its their best.

I've never seen a setlist with so many American Beauty songs on it. I wonder why they never played many songs off of this album? IMO, its their best.

That show was right around the time they were recording American Beauty, so it makes sense to see a lot of the tunes that made the album.

They actually did play a lot of the tunes off the album for most/ all of their tenure: "Box of Rain," "Friend of the Devil," "Sugar Magnolia" "Candyman," Brokedown Palace," and "Truckin'."

"Ripple" got ample play early on and in the early 80s for the acoustic shows, as well as a re-visit in the early 90s. "Attics of My Life" got a re-visit around the same time (Hampton, etc. '89).

"Til' The Morning Comes" and "Operator" are the only ones that didn't get a fair shake in the live setting (5-6 live ones each in '70), and of course Pigpen dying squashed the "Operator."

I saw an Other Ones show (Phil, Bobby, Mickey, Bill, Herring, Haynes and Barraco) in December '02 and they opened with Cold Rain > Till the Morning Comes - when they went into TTMC the roof nearly blew off the place. Completely unexpected, and very exciting indeed.

"Til' The Morning Comes" and "Operator" are the only ones that didn't get a fair shake in the live setting (5-6 live ones each in '70), and of course Pigpen dying squashed the "Operator."

I suppose due to so many great songs, those songs fall by the way side. Operator is basically a old blues/Robert Johnson rip-off - I dig it though.

I need to get my hands on those songs he was putting together for an album - information.

I suppose due to so many great songs, those songs fall by the way side. Operator is basically a old blues/Robert Johnson rip-off - I dig it though.

I always figured that the falsetto-like vocals for the chorus at the end might have been a problem, particularly as they aged and the song hadn't been brought back. Although, P & F still play it.

I need to get my hands on those songs he was putting together for an album - information.

I believe I've heard a few of these over the years. I don't think I have any available to send to you, though I will check. Most likely, I have them as filler on cassettes somewhere.

I got many of those tunes on cassette - folks used a lot of that stuff as filler on side B. If you've never heard No Tomorrow I hope you find it out there. It's so beautiful and poignant - it'll choke you up for sure.

"The Stranger (Two Souls in Communion)." Pretty decent montage, to boot:

From Dodd's site

What are they seeing, when they look in each other's eyes?

What are they feeling, when they see each other smile?

Is it love, I don't know - or an emotion that I've outgrown?

Did I take a wrong turn on life's winding road?

Won't somebody help me find the right way to go?

My life need some correction, alteration in [and?] direction.

Won't somebody stand by [comfort?] me - yes, I'm lost, yes, I'm lost,

Yes, I'm lost.

What is the secret of this tie that binds? [time of mine?]

Two souls in communion, both body and mind.

Is it special magic, or just the nature of things?

Conceived of [Come see the?] great spirit, not for beggars but for kings.

You who have found it please help me along.

I'm a man, I'm a man, - I'm not made out of stone.

My needs they are simple, I don't want anything,

but I surely want to fly on those wings, on the run, one more time.

All I wanna do, fly up, fly home.

Fly on those wings of love, fly up, fly home,

I'm a stranger [a staying?] in your town, fly up, fly home,

Help me somebody please! Fly up, fly home.

I wake up early in the morning, fly up, fly home,

you know I never saw you babe, fly up, fly home.

I just can't seem to understand,

can't seem to understand what's wrong, fly up, fly home.

What I wanna do is take a little ride with you, on the wings of love,

woh-oh one more time, one more time.

The Stranger (Two Souls in Communion)(live at JAHRHUNDERT HALLE - Frankfurt, West Germany 4/26/72) (McKernan)

Clip of sound check for New Year's '87 a couple minutes in finds them doing two (brief clips) versions of "Sittin' on top of the World," among "Pocky way," others....It's grainy and not great sound but worth it for the "Top of the World" versions (starting at about 2:55):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orBw3RdU0-M...feature=related

Oh, it's an ongoing quest. The Addendum does not even really appear anywhere - it goes for 400-500 bucks as far as I can tell. That is sort of my dream, to find II, III, and the Addendum somewhere for a good price. There was a copy of the second one for about 40 bucks on Amazon, but someone snagged it before I could order it.

The Addendum? I'm not familiar with this........is it a newer version of I, II & III covering newly discovered shows? There are indeed A LOT of gaps that need to be filled in, IMO.

The Addendum? I'm not familiar with this........is it a newer version of I, II & III covering newly discovered shows? There are indeed A LOT of gaps that need to be filled in, IMO.

The Deadhead's Taping Addendum

Orders are now being accepted for The Deadhead's Taping Addendum, the final installment of the critically acclaimed, award winning series, The Deadhead's Taping Compendium (Vols. 1-3). This final addition specifically addresses the onslaught of newly circulating music that has surfaced since our last publication, and is an essential companion to the first three volumes, containing a wealth of information and new data for both new tapers and old school veterans alike. It also stands quite tall as an enjoyable read by itself.

The Addendum will include in-depth reviews and analysis of over 175 newly circulating performances. The majority of these shows are derived from the highly sought after pre-1975 period of the Grateful Dead's career, an are all reported on by the community's most prized writers and scholars.

Additionally, the Addendum will include an interview and step by step historical recounting with the Legendary Marty Weinberg. After being reported MIA for the past 25 years, Marty recently resurfaced after reading about himself and his legendary status in Volume 1. Marty shares the remarkable stories of his East Coast taping experiences from 1969-1971 in great, glorious detail. You'll be amazed to hear the lengths that this pioneer of our community went to capture this experience and preserve it for all of us. Of course, also included will be the long awaited definitive listing of Marty's Master Reels, thus allowing tapers and traders alike to correctly identify the source of their until now questionable audience recordings.

Didn't bid high enough on eBay? Well, here's the next best thing. Join us while we take a tour of the Grateful Dead's Vault with Jeffrey Norman. Come walk through the fabled Vault with us while Jeffrey shares his knowledge of each historical section, down every eye-popping aisle. Very rare photographs, by Eliza Bundledee, provide a sumptuous background to Jeffrey's illuminating interview.

The Addendum also features a very special Tribute To Dick Latvala. Long known as the Taper's Best Friend, Dick is given the red carpet treatment he deserves here. Heartfelt recollections, amusing stories and touching insights permeate each recollection from those that knew Dick best: Robert Hunter, Mickey Hart, Dennis McNally, Steve Silberman, Nathan Wolfson, Pat Lee, Eddie Claridge, Carol Latvala, Rich Latvala, Kevin Shapiro (Archivist for Phish), Rob Bertrando, Kirk West (Archivist for The Allman Brothers Band), Harvey Lubar, Jeffrey Norman, Dr. Bob Wagner, Kidd Candelario, and Christi Lamb Vogel.

Ever wonder exactly what Dick felt were THE hottest, most interesting songs and jams? Culled from Dick's own well-worn Deadbases, J-cards and notebooks, here is a list of what Dick felt were the Dead's most distinguished song versions and exciting, unique instrumental passages

Have you ever wondered how the Vault Archivist himself notated his recordings? You'll find many examples of exactly how Dick marked and measured a show's performance with this sampling from his own private collection. You won't help but be moved by the illustration of passion captured in these rare reproductions.

Due to the influx of new data since Volume 1's publication in 1998, we have carefully updated and corrected all of the first three volumes, bringing the entire series up to date in one chapter enclosed here in our Addendum.

Curious about where Dick might be these days? Then check out "Dick's Jam In The Afterlife" and read about how Dick goes toe to toe with an afterlife guardian in this provocative, humorous and touching what-if fable

Of course, the Addendum wouldn't be complete without the inclusion of ticket stubs, rare photographs, and the updated Resources section.

Yeah, it's listings and reviews of shows that were unearthed after I II & III were published - nearly all of it deals with the first 6-7 years. There's a couple of shows from the early '80s but of course after the comeback in '76 almost everything is documented (due to the aud tapers).

The only listing I could really find for it was some old posts where people were selling them for 400-500 bucks.

Wow! I could make some $$$ !!!

That may be possible. I'll see what can be done.

I am sure someone has scanned them all by now - and they are probably out there to snag - but I have not found them. I will have the first volume this week.