The Grateful Dead

They have already played for him once. Maybe they are trying to make up for all the years they did not speak up.

For what though? To be blunt I think its hilarious how many people are willing to speak up for this guy. I guess I never expected The Dead to get back together to push for more of the same.

Tweedy and co.'s support is more understanding. The name Grateful Dead carries a lot more baggage than wilco, historically speaking.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what though? To be blunt I think its hilarious how many people are willing to speak up for this guy. I guess I never expected The Dead to get back together to push for more of the same.

Tweedy and co.'s support is more understanding. The name Grateful Dead carries a lot more baggage than wilco, historically speaking.

I can't claim to know the man, but I also can't help but wonder what JG's take on this would be. He was so resolutely apolitical by nature that the thought of supporting ANY politician would probably make him cringe.

Also - Aman, that would be an awesome thing to attend. Wish I could be there.

Well - we have a politics thread for this sort of thing, but at that press conference a while back, they said that he was the real deal. So I guess they look at him and see hope for the future.

Well - we have a politics thread for this sort of thing, but at that press conference a while back, they said that he was the real deal. So I guess they look at him and see hope for the future.

Understood, I'm not trying to just talk about obama. I think historically in terms of the deads legacy its a pretty relevant topic of discussion.

I think I've mentioned bob being a member of the grove on here, just smells rotten.

I hope their is a tour in the spring though

Understood, I'm not trying to just talk about obama. I think historically in terms of the deads legacy its a pretty relevant topic of discussion.

We used to have access to a lot more sbd shows, too, without fees. Times change. I don't really have a problem with it as they've never espoused rejection of polical views any more than embraced them.

Nice! Yeah, the Addendum is great - there's a big tribute to Latvala in that one that is a great read. Lots of interviews with family and friends, lots of pics, etc.

Nice! Yeah, the Addendum is great - there's a big tribute to Latvala in that one that is a great read. Lots of interviews with family and friends, lots of pics, etc.

That one did not come up when I borrowed them last year - apparently, it's very hard to find.

3D - far out, man.

A solid early 1980s show. But more importantly (for me) the first Dead show I ever saw.

Grateful Dead, Providence, 9/4/80

Feel Like a Stranger. Peggy-O, Cassidy, Dire Wolf, New Minglewood Blues, Althea, Looks Like Rain, Far From Me, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider

Samson and Delilah, Ramble on Rose, Supplication > Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World > drums > The Other One > Wharf Rat >Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad > Good Lovin'

U.S. Blues

A solid early 1980s show. But more importantly (for me) the first Dead show I ever saw.

Grateful Dead, Providence, 9/4/80

Feel Like a Stranger. Peggy-O, Cassidy, Dire Wolf, New Minglewood Blues, Althea, Looks Like Rain, Far From Me, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider

Samson and Delilah, Ramble on Rose, Supplication > Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World > drums > The Other One > Wharf Rat >Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad > Good Lovin'

U.S. Blues

I'll have to give that a listen, that second set it out of this world.

It would be interesting to see Derek set in with Wilco - I don't know what song they would play, but I'd like to see that.

Walken, the instrumental part at the end where it speeds up and the drums get harder, they should just stretch that out and have Derek go nuts over it.

Interesting.

I always wondered why they didn't do that and have Nels do it. It seems like they're just about to jam out and then they don't. I may be mistaken but I thought pre-album live versions were stretched out.

17241024716628iv2.jpg

Born September 8, 1945

"I think it's safe to say that we ALL loved Pigpen" - Jerry Garcia

>They have already played for him once. Maybe they are trying to make up for all the years they did not speak up.

Looks like Phil has been touring with an Obama sticker on an amp, at least since July: http://www.musicbox-online.com/photo-journ.../phil-lesh.html

It was one of his sons that got him interested in Sen. Obama - and then he approached the rest of the band. At least, I think that was what they said at the press conference, as I recall.

That 9/8/73 show is very very good, especially the segment Aman posted. It also has one of only a handful of live versions of Kieth's "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away".

I've never heard the 9/12 W&M show. But the previous night has some of Phil's very best playing imo. He takes a solo during Dark Star that will rattle the phlegm in your lungs!