The Grateful Dead

So Many Roads - Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois, 1995-07-09 is the last track on the So Many Roads (1965-1995) boxset. I still think that was sort of a tacky thing to put on there.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Many Roads - Soldier Field, Chicago, Illinois, 1995-07-09 is the last track on the So Many Roads (1965-1995) boxset. I still think that was sort of a tacky thing to put on there.

I think it's a fantastic version, though. One of the few redeeming qualities to the overall tepid show. Garcia adds some sweet "Lord, I've been walking down the road..." stuff at the end, too.

sidenote: They played Hendrix' version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" after the show for the fireworks display.

I've never listened to that show and don't know if I ever will. Seems like the kind of thing that would be nice to have a copy of just for historical purposes, but I just can't listen to it. Its a shame if the "Black Muddy River" was lifeless, cuz that would have been a fitting end, otherwise, too. But "Box of Rain" is a pretty inspired choice. It's arguably my favorite song in the world, although I don't know that I've ever heard a live version that I like very much. (sorry, Phil) Still, the sentiment of that song......yeah, it just feels like the right way to end.

yeah, box of rain may be the only song in the GD canon that doesn't have a live version that approaches the studio version.

many many years ago, before i had given the dead a moment's notice, somebody i worked with was raving about the dead, and me being a total music snob, said something like, "really, well what the hell is a box of rain then?"

and this quiet little girl who i had barely noticed before went into this explanation of how two peoples' perspectives of the same thing can be so different and how much we can learn from that, and how when one person looks out a window and sees rain falling, maybe another looks out the window and sees instead a box of rain. i'll never forget that moment and that girl because it was such a key moment in me starting to understand what the dead was doing and starting to realize that if i stopped being so fucking close-minded about music maybe i'd have more great shit to listen to

Open to interpretation, of course, but the lyricist for the song (Robert Hunter) has said that a "box of rain" is the world we live in. I forget where I read that but it stuck out for me. Phil wrote the music and Hunter added lyrics. Also, Phil's dad was on his death bed at the time and Phil was visiting him often in the hospital and has said that he always associates the song with that kind of vibe.

and this quiet little girl who i had barely noticed before went into this explanation of how two peoples' perspectives of the same thing can be so different and how much we can learn from that, and how when one person looks out a window and sees rain falling, maybe another looks out the window and sees instead a box of rain. i'll never forget that moment and that girl because it was such a key moment in me starting to understand what the dead was doing and starting to realize that if i stopped being so fucking close-minded about music maybe i'd have more great shit to listen to

That's a great story. I love hearing stories like that.

For me, truthfully, the day I began to understand the Dead unfortunately wasn't until the day Jerry died. Before that, yeah, I knew them and I listened to them some and even caught one show in the early '90s, but it never really clicked all the way. Not the way it seemed to for all these people I knew who were really into it. And yet on the day he died, I remember hearing the news on the radio and having this really hollow feeling--a sense of loss of greater proportion than made sense to me, seeing as how I was only marginally a fan. And I remember driving around that night, listening to American Beauty and trying to make sense of what I was feeling. I was at a stoplight with Brokedown Palace playing and the windows down and, out of nowhere, this young girl with tears in her eyes jumps into my car and gives me a hug and just as quickly she was gone. It was the weirdest thing. So I kept driving around VA and eventually into DC and I kept noticing clumps of people gathered together here and there and I was really moved by it, I guess. I remember seeing on the news a huge gathering on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial and other places and I was just amazed at the sheer number of people who were touched by this. I think it changed my perception of them being "just a band that people follow around for the party" (which, me coming of age in the 80s/90s, that's primarily what I knew of them). And it made me want to go deeper to figure out what it is about this band that could move people like this. Sad that I didn't have my epiphany before Jerry's passing, but better late than never, I guess.

edit: Hmm, I think I'm a month early in telling that story. Remind me to link back to this post on Aug 9. :yay

if you aren't already aware: url="http://arts.ucsc.edu/Gdead/AGDL/"]The Annotated Grateful Dead[/url]

I have spent hours on there.

Soldier Field, 13 years ago today - the last show. Honestly, I'm glad I wasn't there. It was nice Phil stepped up and delivered the final tune - Box Of Rain. "Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."

Strange that I got the new Road Trips today in the mail. Looking forward to digging into this one.

There was a CD included with Phils book a couple of years ago. It had the usual novelties ( demos, etc) but also included the Box of Rain from the last show. You can sort of hear Phils angst and frustration (Phrustration?) in the vocal delivery and he makes some comments to that effect in talking about his mindset during the performance.

There was a CD included with Phils book a couple of years ago. It had the usual novelties ( demos, etc) but also included the Box of Rain from the last show. You can sort of hear Phils angst and frustration (Phrustration?) in the vocal delivery and he makes some comments to that effect in talking about his mindset during the performance.

There was a cd with Searching for the Sound? Hmm. I didn't get that, but maybe because I bought it at one of those overstock stores for like $4. I'll have to re-read the part where he talks about that performance.

There was a cd with Searching for the Sound? Hmm. I didn't get that, but maybe because I bought it at one of those overstock stores for like $4. I'll have to re-read the part where he talks about that performance.

If I recall the comments are on an interview track on the CD

I bought the book upon its release, and there was no cd included. That cd might have been included with There and Back Again.

I bought the book upon its release, and there was no cd included. That cd might have been included with There and Back Again.

So did I but I think there was a cd you get if you bought off of phillesh.com or something to that effect.

TONIGHT THOUGH! Live from All Good, Phil Lesh And Friends.

I only caught two shows this summer (chicago and milwaukee) chicago was amazing, milwaukee was just alright. I'd say its worth taking the chance and watching the show tonight though Scofeild played earlier in the day and warren haynes is playing late night, i'd say there is a good chance that one or the other sits in.

You can view the stream at iclips.net they have much improved their broadcasts since the dead heads for obama thing. Last weekends rothbury webcast came through great.

I've always really liked the "Ollin Arageed." They were playing this for a long while as we entered the Garcia tribute in Berkeley a few years ago and it felt really appropriate and set the vibe for the night.

I wonder if this is the same footage that has been circulating. If I remember it was like home video cameras, there was also footage of bill walton and maybe ken kessey walking through a pyramid.

I've always really liked the "Ollin Arageed." They were playing this for a long while as we entered the Garcia tribute in Berkeley a few years ago and it felt really appropriate and set the vibe for the night.

The version from 12/30/78 (UCLA) is outstanding, and segues perfectly into a rip-roarin' Saint Stephen. Must hear stuff!

7/13/84 -Greek Theatre, Berkeley CA

I: Bertha > Greatest, Dire Wolf, C.C. Rider, Loser, Cassidy, Dupree's, Bucket > Might As Well

II: Scarlet > Touch > Fire > Women Smarter > Drums > Space > Wheel > Miracle > Stella > Sugar Mag

E: Dark Star*

* first DS since 12/31/81, and last one until 10/9/89

After Sugar Mag there was a break announcement, then a big screen came down. The crowd was treated to a viewing of moonscapes, then the Star was played with these stunning visuals as the background. Oh, to have been there - what a Friday the 13th this must have been for those in attendance!

Much like the Steal Your Face tapes (which were re-worked when the film was re-released on DVD), I have always read that the Egyptian tapes were bad. I guess technology changes everything. Is there not a lengthy article about this in one of those Taper books?

Much like the Steal Your Face tapes (which were re-worked when the film was re-released on DVD), I have always read that the Egyptian tapes were bad. I guess technology changes everything. Is there not a lengthy article about this in one of those Taper books?

Well, not ALL of it is bad - 9/16 was ran through Sonic Solutions before entering circulation. Definitely better sounding than the first 2 nights. But there were logistical (and personal) nightmares at those gigs. The personal: JG had already become very dependent on the Persian, and to avoid a Midnight Express-type situation he was evidently gobbling up Percodans like they were tic tacs. Kieth was out to lunch most of the time, and his piano tuner was not on the trip (I can't remember if the dude was fired, or what). Billy had a broken finger...the list goes on.

As far as logistics, the temps were 110+ during the day, and to quote Harry Popick, " I'd go to try to move speaker cabinets and find them melted to each other." Kesey recalled, "the only thing properly wired was the crew." :stunned

It would seem to me that these shows should have/would have made a live LP. After all, it cost the band nearly a half million dollars to pull the thing off, and all the proceeds went to charity. But evidently the band were not pleased with the tapes. Of course now the technology is vastly superior (as you said), and Jerry's not around to say NO - so there you have it.

I am pretty stoked about this coming out though.

The CD being referred to was included with the audiobook version.

Well, not ALL of it is bad - 9/16 was ran through Sonic Solutions before entering circulation. Definitely better sounding than the first 2 nights. But there were logistical (and personal) nightmares at those gigs. The personal: JG had already become very dependent on the Persian, and to avoid a Midnight Express-type situation he was evidently gobbling up Percodans like they were tic tacs. Kieth was out to lunch most of the time, and his piano tuner was not on the trip (I can't remember if the dude was fired, or what). Billy had a broken finger...the list goes on.

As far as logistics, the temps were 110+ during the day, and to quote Harry Popick, " I'd go to try to move speaker cabinets and find them melted to each other." Kesey recalled, "the only thing properly wired was the crew." :stunned

It would seem to me that these shows should have/would have made a live LP. After all, it cost the band nearly a half million dollars to pull the thing off, and all the proceeds went to charity. But evidently the band were not pleased with the tapes. Of course now the technology is vastly superior (as you said), and Jerry's not around to say NO - so there you have it.

I am pretty stoked about this coming out though.

It had to do with them running the sound through the great pyramid. It must have been more about that not working - instead of the tapes being bad. I knew this show would come out some day.

Much like the Steal Your Face tapes (which were re-worked when the film was re-released on DVD), I have always read that the Egyptian tapes were bad.

I always thought the band wasn't happy with their performances. (one of those "We always blow the big ones" things)