The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear rumors that that was the last of the full albums and that phil has some other tricks up his sleeve, i guess time will tell.

I've heard he's possibly going to forge into Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, maybe into Wake of the Flood and Terrapin with Donna, too (haven't seen last night's set list yet).

Who knows. I do know he's playing a free show in Sioux City, Iowa at a band shell. Only a ten hour drive from Denver!

This just in from last night (David Nelson sits in on most tunes, too!):

Workingman's Dead

Uncle John's Band (JG, all) band

*High Time (DN)

*Dire Wolf (JG)

*New Speedway Boogie (JG)

*Cumberland Blues (all)

*Black Peter (PL)

*Easy Wind (JG, DN)

Casey Jones (JG)

Set 2:

Most Of American Beauty

*Box of Rain (PL)

*#Friend Of The Devil (DN)

Sugar Magnolia (JG)

Operator (PL)

Candyman (JG)

*%Ripple (DN)

$Brokedown Palace (JG)

+Til the Morning Comes (TW)

Donor Rap/Intros

E: +@Attics Of My Life (TW, PL, LC)

*Truckin' (JG, all)

*w/ David Nelson, +w/ Teresa Williams

#w/LC on fiddle and pedal steel, %, w/LC on mandolin,

$w/LC on fiddle, @w/LC on guitar and no other instruments

I've heard he's possibly going to forge into Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, maybe into Wake of the Flood and Terrapin with Donna, too (haven't seen last night's set list yet).

Who knows. I do know he's playing a free show in Sioux City, Iowa at a band shell. Only a ten hour drive from Denver!

Yeah its about that far for me too. I don't think I'm gonna be able to do it, although I'd love too. As of right now I'm doing Summerfest in Milwaukee and the chicago show.

as for the rest of the weekend, tonight: Set One: Wake of The Flood Set Two: Blues For Allah. Sunday: Set One: Shakedown Street and Set Two: Terripian (What a way to close things out).

Hopefully ALL of these tunes stay in the repertoire over the summer.

I still think Phil has some tricks up his sleeves for sunday outside of guests. A Three set show 80's style would be an appropriate ending. Acoustic and two electric?

I've seen two of phil's recent acoustic sets and while their great they'd work so much better at the shows start.

This just in from last night (David Nelson sits in on most tunes, too!):

Workingman's Dead

Uncle John's Band (JG, all) band

*High Time (DN)

*Dire Wolf (JG)

*New Speedway Boogie (JG)

*Cumberland Blues (all)

*Black Peter (PL)

*Easy Wind (JG, DN)

Casey Jones (JG)

Set 2:

Most Of American Beauty

*Box of Rain (PL)

*#Friend Of The Devil (DN)

Sugar Magnolia (JG)

Operator (PL)

Candyman (JG)

*%Ripple (DN)

$Brokedown Palace (JG)

+Til the Morning Comes (TW)

Donor Rap/Intros

E: +@Attics Of My Life (TW, PL, LC)

*Truckin' (JG, all)

*w/ David Nelson, +w/ Teresa Williams

#w/LC on fiddle and pedal steel, %, w/LC on mandolin,

$w/LC on fiddle, @w/LC on guitar and no other instruments

NELSON!!1!11!! :worship

Mike Gordon, Galactic, The Disco Biscuits and Mickey Hart Band To Offer Free Gigs On The Square

Buffalo, NY has confirmed the schedule for its Thursday at the Square concert series. These free performances will take place each Thursday from May 29 through September 4 at Buffalo Square. Galactic and the New Deal will open 2008 series on May 29 with with music slated to begin at 6PM. Other Artists scheduled to appear include: The Disco Biscuits (June 5), Yonder Mountain String Band (June 12), Mickey Hart Band and Tea Leaf Green (July 17) Zappa Plays Zappa and the Whigs (August 7) and Mike Gordon (August 14). The complete line-up can be found at the Buffalo Place website.

We have that sort of thing here where I live - but, it's old folks singing about Je-sus.

I heard it was Skull & Roses and Dead Set last night ...

Yeah he surprised with that second set. Kind of odd that he was going chronologically and then throws in a later record at random that repeats a bunch o tunes from the night before.

I think tonight is going to be three sets, opening with an acoustic. Too bad there isn't a live stream.

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section. This week we're going to jump right into a nice, big jam from 1969, followed my some great music from throughout the band's recorded history.

Our first stop is that the Big Rock Pow Wow at the Seminole Indian Village in Florida, where the Grateful Dead played two shows, May 23 and 24, 1969. From the second night, 5/24/69, we have the big jam that followed the show-opening Lovelight (which we played for you here last year), consisting of Doin' That Rag>He Was A Friend of Mine>China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider>Death Don't Have No Mercy. Yes, there's a bad cut in He Was A Friend of Mine, but overall this jam was too good not to play. The minor inconvenience of that cut is certainly outweighed by the quality of the rest of the music. These two shows in Florida have long been a favourite of mine, particularly as back-to-back concerts that equal one perfect three-plus hour chunk of music.

Like last week's focus on show-openers, today we'd like to stop in on the Grateful Dead's 5/25/77 show in Richmond, VA, to the trio of songs that opened that show: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, Jack Straw, They Love Each Other. Also from this show, the second set opening Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain. This was the third-to-last concert on this absolutely insanely great tour, one of the finest in the band's 30 year performing history. As a brief side note, 5/25/77 is the day Star Wars was released, and a feature film has been made called

Long live Phil and Friends. What a residency! :dancing

is there something going on with the warfield i don't know about? or is phil hanging it up? the article talks about closing out a 28 year history with the venue and that leads me to such questions...

i sure hope it's not going anywhere.

I believe it's switching hands from LiveNation to an even more corporate account, with some revamping planned architechturally as well as the inevitable name change. LiveNation bought out Bill Graham Present a year or so ago, I believe.

From Wolfgang's Vault today: 4.26.71 Fillmore. Entire set is fantastic:

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/grat...campaign=080521

I am a causal Dead fan at best and have recently gone broadband. I would be interested in favorite torrents currently available on easy tree or dime. Maybe people's top 2 or 3 in terms of both recording quality and performance.

I am a causal Dead fan at best and have recently gone broadband. I would be interested in favorite torrents currently available on easy tree or dime. Maybe people's top 2 or 3 in terms of both recording quality and performance.

Check out this blog:

The Grateful Dead Listening Guide

Also -

Mouth Of The Beast

35 years ago today:

5/26/73 Kezar Stadium, San Francisco CA

I: Promised Land, Deal, Jack Straw, Tennesee Jed, The Race Is On, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Row Jimmy, Looks Like Rain, They Love Each Other, Playin' In The Band

II: Here Comes Sunshine, El Paso, Loser, Beat It On Down the Line, You Ain't Woman Enough, Box Of Rain, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Big River, Bertha, Around And Around

III: Mississippi Half-Step, Me And My Uncle, He's Gone > Truckin' > The Other One > Eyes Of The World > China Doll, Sugar Magnolia

E: Casey Jones

I don't know if this is even a top 3 from '73 but it is a long and great show. The He's Gone through China Doll is very inspired.

35 years ago today:

5/26/73 Kezar Stadium, San Francisco CA

I: Promised Land, Deal, Jack Straw, Tennesee Jed, The Race Is On, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Row Jimmy, Looks Like Rain, They Love Each Other, Playin' In The Band

II: Here Comes Sunshine, El Paso, Loser, Beat It On Down the Line, You Ain't Woman Enough, Box Of Rain, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Big River, Bertha, Around And Around

III: Mississippi Half-Step, Me And My Uncle, He's Gone > Truckin' > The Other One > Eyes Of The World > China Doll, Sugar Magnolia

E: Casey Jones

I don't know if this is even a top 3 from '73 but it is a long and great show. The He's Gone through China Doll is very inspired.

Fast forward 20 years - 5/26/93 Cal Expo. The Playin' on this night...comparatively speaking, and amazing as this may seem, might actually be better than the Kezar version. Venturing into Tiger Territory, the jam leaves the parameters of Playin' several times, only to manage to find its way back. Every bit as long as the Kezar version - the jam just seems to never want to end.

I'll unabashedly claim this to be the last truly outstanding GD jam, as well as the best of all the Vince-only era jams.

37 years ago today 5-29-71 (Winterland)...for all you Chuck Berry fans, first ever "Promised Land". While never one of my all time favorites you gotta admit it's a pretty rollicking tune to get a show started, though on this date it was played later on in the first set.

On an un-related note listened to 11-17-73 today for the first time in many years. Forgot just how frigging awesome that Playin>Uncle John's>Morning Dew>Uncle John's>Playin sandwich is. Man those were the days.

1973 my favorite year

:thumbup That Playin' sammich is the shit. When they roll back into UJB from Dew it's one of the best things ever!