The Grateful Dead

Link

This week we're going to hear some music from 1970 through to 1989, with a few interesting stops in between.

Our first selection, as mentioned the past couple of weeks, is the outstanding version of Lovelight from 7/16/70 in San Rafael, California, featuring none other than Janis Joplin sharing lead vocal duties with Pigpen. This would be the last of the very few times Janis would perform onstage with the Grateful Dead, and sadly, just two and a half months later, she would be gone. Worth noting here in the Tapers Section is that it was after this show that Bear went away, and is the reason there are no tapes from the second half of 1970 from this night until late December when the sound crew began recording the concerts again.

Because we love these monster versions of Playing In The Band so much, here is a really superior rendition from 7/19/74 in Fresno, California. I could get lost in these 1974 Playings for hours. In fact, I often do.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 7/19/74 is one of my favorites from an outstanding year. Kieth Godchaux's birthday that night - he seems really on here. The WRS > Spanish Jam > Eyes is the highlight for me.

Keith was such an incredible player there for a few years. God bless him.

He really did squander his opportunity though. In the later years of his tenure the guy is barely conscious. Donna should've kicked his ass.

He really did squander his opportunity though. In the later years of his tenure the guy is barely conscious. Donna should've kicked his ass.

He got to the point near the end where all he did was mimic Garcia's chords. Pretty lame.

He got to the point near the end where all he did was mimic Garcia's chords. Pretty lame.

Definitely pretty lame towards the end. Although in terms of the overall sound of the band, his exit marks the dividing line between the era of the band that I love and the era of the band that I like but only occasionally really love.

P & F to do 14 nights at NYC's Nokia Theatre ($60 a pop!):

Phil Lesh & Friends featuring Jackie Greene, Larry Campbell,

John Molo, Steve Molitz will perform for 14 nights at

the Nokia Theater Times Square in New York, NY.

In order to make our ticketing procedure more efficient

mail order for these performances will be offered in a series of six:

Series 1

Halloween, Friday, October 31, 2008

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Series 2

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Monday, November 3, 2008

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Series 3

Friday, November 7, 2008

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Series 4

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Series 5

Friday, November 14, 2008

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Series 6

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Doors are 7:00 PM Showtime is 8:00 PM except for the

Sunday shows which are 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM

All tickets are General Admission and are available

at $60.00 per ticket.

Please send in separately for each series. You may order

individual shows within a series.

Please state your series preference on the front of your envelope.

Mail in dates are July 18 through July 24, 2008.

I just recently started listening to the New Riders Of The Purple Sage stuff on the archive. Anyone have any recommendations? Any opinions on their best set with Garcia?

I just recently started listening to the New Riders Of The Purple Sage stuff on the archive. Anyone have any recommendations? Any opinions on their best set with Garcia?

Can't give you input on their best set. Buddy Cage erroneously has said he taught Garcia pedal steel!

They're in town tomorrow night, too. More than likely I'll go.

Can't give you input on their best set. Buddy Cage erroneously has said he taught Garcia pedal steel!

They're in town tomorrow night, too. More than likely I'll go.

Could be, I was just interested in hearing more of jerry's pedal steel. Any recommendations on particular live tracks with him playing the pedal live?

Could be, I was just interested in hearing more of jerry's pedal steel. Any recommendations on particular live tracks with him playing the pedal live?

Feel free to look at my etree list (on my profile). I'm sure I've added some commentary about the shows I have. :thumbup

7/19/90 - Deer Creek, Noblesville IN

I: Jack Straw, TLEO, Desolation Row, Row Jimmy, Picasso Moon, Althea > Promised

II: Victim > Foolish > Playin' > China Doll > UJB > Drums > Space > Watchtower > Black Peter > NFA

E: U.S. Blues

The last time I saw Brent ( he died 7 days later). This is a pretty strong show, especially pre-drums. The thing I remember most about this show was it was very hot, and during Row Jimmy my friend Ron suddenly turned pale as a sheet. I took off during Picasso to get him a soda and he perked up a bit after that. We didn't know it at the time but this was his first episode - he found out he was in the first stages of diabetes.

7/19/74 Selland Area, Fresno CA

Nice show.

Highlights >

1st set closer - Playin

WRS Prelude > WRS Part 1 > Let It Grow > Spanish Jam > Eyes > China Doll

Keith's B-Day

I think it's a fantastic version, though. One of the few redeeming qualities to the overall tepid show. Garcia adds some sweet "Lord, I've been walking down the road..." stuff at the end, too.

sidenote: They played Hendrix' version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" after the show for the fireworks display.

If you read the liner notes in the set that particular version of So Many Roads is actually a compilation of two different versions of the song. The first half was from a previous show (a few days earlier) and the second half was actually from that (final show) night.

Or something to that effect.

If you read the liner notes in the set that particular version of So Many Roads is actually a compilation of two different versions of the song. The first half was from a previous show (a few days earlier) and the second half was actually from that (final show) night.

Or something to that effect.

You may be right. I was just referring to the tape of the show. The tune in it's whole. The ending was the part I was referencing anyway.

;)

You may be right. I was just referring to the tape of the show. The tune in it's whole. The ending was the part I was referencing anyway.

;)

Yeah.... I listened to the show only once, it's seriously a bummer. On another note there is a great version of So May Roads from Salt Lake City from February of that year, that version (to my ears) is the best.....It was (and is) a great song. Wouldda been interesting to see what they would have come up with had Jerry knocked off the dope and chili dogs.

We don't own this place, though we act as if we did

It belongs to the children of our children's kids

The actual owners haven't even been born yet

But we never tend the garden and we rarely pay the rent

Some of it is broken and the rest of it is bent

Put it all on plastic and I wonder where we'll be when the bills hit

(chorus)

We can run

But we can't hide from it

Of all possible worlds

We only got one

We gotta ride on it

Whatever we've done

We'll never get far from what we leave behind

Baby, we can run, run, run, but we can't hide

Oh no, we can't hide

I'm dumpin' my trash in your backyard

Makin' certain you don't notice really isn't so hard

You're so busy with your guns and all of your excuses to use them

Well, it's oil for the rich and babies for the poor

They got everyone believin' that more is more

If a reckoning comes, maybe we'll know what to do then

(chorus)

All these complications seem to leave no choice

I heard the tongues of billions speak with just one voice

Saying, "Just leave all the rest to me

I need it worse than you, you see"

And then I heard...

The sound of one child crying

Today I went walking in the amber wind

There's a hole in the sky where the light pours in

I remember the days when I wasn't afraid of the sunshine

But now it beats down on the asphalt land

Like a hammering blow from God's left hand

What little still grows cringes in the shade till the nighttime

(chorus)

Brent Mydland - October 21, 1952 - July 26, 1990

RIP Brent. We still miss ya.

So, I'll come clean.

I don't own much 80's dead.

So I'm looking for a recommendation. Which dicks picks is best representative of 80's dead and which do you feel has the best jamming.

thanks,

matt

So, I'll come clean.

I don't own much 80's dead.

So I'm looking for a recommendation. Which dicks picks is best representative of 80's dead and which do you feel has the best jamming.

thanks,

matt

Remarkably, there's only 3 or 4 DPs from the '80s - a real shame imo. The '80-'85 period, at least, has many excellent shows.

As far as it goes, you can't go wrong with #6 (a stellar, 30+ min. ScarFire, with Estimated > Eyes that follows - 60 minutes pre-drums!), and you simply have to hear the amazing He's Gone > Caution Jam > Spanish Jam from 5/6/81 (#13). Killer stuff.

Hope this helps.

Remarkably, there's only 3 or 4 DPs from the '80s - a real shame imo. The '80-'85 period, at least, has many excellent shows.

As far as it goes, you can't go wrong with #6 (a stellar, 30+ min. ScarFire, with Estimated > Eyes that follows - 60 minutes pre-drums!), and you simply have to hear the amazing He's Gone > Caution Jam > Spanish Jam from 5/6/81 (#13). Killer stuff.

Hope this helps.

Sure does. I asked the same question over on the phil zone and a few people mentioned how they wish there were more 85 shows.

Both of those sound good.

We don't own this place, though we act as if we did

It belongs to the children of our children's kids

The actual owners haven't even been born yet

But we never tend the garden and we rarely pay the rent

Some of it is broken and the rest of it is bent

Put it all on plastic and I wonder where we'll be when the bills hit

(chorus)

We can run

But we can't hide from it

Of all possible worlds

We only got one

We gotta ride on it

Whatever we've done

We'll never get far from what we leave behind

Baby, we can run, run, run, but we can't hide

Oh no, we can't hide

I'm dumpin' my trash in your backyard

Makin' certain you don't notice really isn't so hard

You're so busy with your guns and all of your excuses to use them

Well, it's oil for the rich and babies for the poor

They got everyone believin' that more is more

If a reckoning comes, maybe we'll know what to do then

(chorus)

All these complications seem to leave no choice

I heard the tongues of billions speak with just one voice

Saying, "Just leave all the rest to me

I need it worse than you, you see"

And then I heard...

The sound of one child crying

Today I went walking in the amber wind

There's a hole in the sky where the light pours in

I remember the days when I wasn't afraid of the sunshine

But now it beats down on the asphalt land

Like a hammering blow from God's left hand

What little still grows cringes in the shade till the nighttime

(chorus)

Brent Mydland - October 21, 1952 - July 26, 1990

RIP Brent. We still miss ya.

dammit dammit dammit

Dead fans might be interested in this:

Composer introduces a "dead"symphony

As a moderate fan of the Dead, I don't think a strictly structured orchestra is the best way to capture the spirit of the band, but it sounds okay. I like the picture in the article. I'm thinking of making it my avatar.

I'm taking my 5 year old daughter to this Friday night. My 14 year old son won't go, but he is attending Zappa plays Zappa with me this Wednesday night in DE.

Dinner at Sabatinos and a night with the orchestra with my girl.

Weird Frank stuff with my boy.

Life IS good!

I may have to check out those DPs at some point, as I've never really been able to get into latter-Dead. I only have a handful of 80s/90s shows in my collection and rarely listen to them--I think I keep them around for the sake of feeling "well-rounded". :lol

Many people seem to have a sentimental attachment to whatever era of the band in which they became a fan, but I guess I'm really more of a posthumous fan in that I wasn't old enough to be around until the final years and by then I didn't really see the big attraction. It wasn't until later when I started listening to the old archive recordings that something clicked for me and I suddenly understood. Even now that I'm an addict, my listening habits rarely venture past '78 or so.