The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What!!!!????? No one mentioned 8-27-72 yesterday......possibly the best ever Playin' and an absolutely mind melting darkstar. The Sun Soaked Serenaders indeed.

this show is my fav. at the moment, tho I just started collecting shows like 4 days ago. I also splurged and bought 'Steppin' Out' this evening, listening to it now. :thumbup

this show is my fav. at the moment, tho I just started collecting shows like 4 days ago. I also splurged and bought 'Steppin' Out' this evening, listening to it now. :thumbup

FYI, this show was filmed and is available out there. Its know as Sunshine Daydream. I highly recommend you track it down.

FYI, this show was filmed and is available out there. Its know as Sunshine Daydream. I highly recommend you track it down.

I've seen the film (it's been a while) and remember it as being pretty grainy and a bit wobbly (camera) throughout. I think Kesey or Ken Babbs filmed it. Still, for historical puposes it's pretty cool.

I've seen the film (it's been a while) and remember it as being pretty grainy and a bit wobbly (camera) throughout. I think Kesey or Ken Babbs filmed it. Still, for historical puposes it's pretty cool.

It's been cleaned up - I think it is on youtube - or was not too long ago, anyhow.

nice! stumbling across the Grateful Dead is a real treat considering the majority of 60's band were only recorded by kids with primitve recording devices. its cool to hear so many soundboards and see so many vids circulating out there.

by the way, what does everyone think of the 'Closing of the Winterland' dvd? any good? would like to buy a dvd soon and this and the Grateful Dead movie are pretty much everything my local music shop has in terms of footage.

by the way, what does everyone think of the 'Closing of the Winterland' dvd? any good? would like to buy a dvd soon and this and the Grateful Dead movie are pretty much everything my local music shop has in terms of footage.

Go with the Winterland show. Absolutely fantastic. Killer versions of just about every tune, long sets, and festivities abound. Great camera work, too.

It's been cleaned up - I think it is on youtube - or was not too long ago, anyhow.

Good to hear. I'll have to re-check it out.

Go with the Winterland show. Absolutely fantastic. Killer versions of just about every tune, long sets, and festivities abound. Great camera work, too.

Good to hear. I'll have to re-check it out.

The one scene showing Jerry, Bobby and Phil jamming during Dark Star is worth the price of admission.

nice! stumbling across the Grateful Dead is a real treat considering the majority of 60's band were only recorded by kids with primitve recording devices. its cool to hear so many soundboards and see so many vids circulating out there.

I don't know about that - you should read the The Deadhead's Taping Compendium and/or Bootleg: The Secret History of the Other Recording Industry.

I third (or fourth) Winterland DVD. When I got that, that was constantly playing in my apartment

awesome, sounds like its worth the $30-something price tag. I'm gonna be eating ramen noodles for the next year as I diligently stock-up on Dead discs.

In a way it's really quite astonishing how well the 12/31/78 holds up on both tape and video. The band was at such a low ebb spiritually at that time - Jerry was just starting to get knee-deep with opiates, Phil was in the "Heineken Years", both Kieth and Donna were a mess (in fact, they were fired/quit just 6 weeks later). This (closing of the Winterland) was one of the few instances where they brought their A game to a major event.

The bonus footage during set break with Kesey and Weir is alone worth the cost imo, especially if you're aware of what was going down backstage!

Dead Planning Spring Tour, Obama Benefit

Sources confirm that the surviving members of the Grateful Dead -- guitarist Bob Weir, bassist Phil Lesh,and drummers Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann -- are planning to tour in April and May of 2009. There's no word yet on the band's configuration -- previous configurations of "The Dead" and The Other Ones have included singer-guitar hero Warren Haynes, guitar ace Jimmy Herring, singer-guitarist Susan Tedeschi, singer Joan Osborne, keyboardists Jeff Chimenti and Rob Baracco, as well as guitarists Mark Karan and Steve Kimock.

Also in the works, likely for October 13, is a second Deadheads For Obama concert, planned for the swing state of Pennsylvania.

The first Deadheads for Obama concert took place at the Warfield in San Francisco -- with Weir, Hart, Lesh, drummer John Molo, keyboardist Steve Molitz, guitarist Larry Campbell, pedal steel player Barry Sless, singer-guitarist Jackie Greene, and Karan -- on the eve of the California Democratic primary.

The Dead allied with Obama after Lesh's son began volunteering for Obama's campaign.

"This is the real deal," Lesh said of Obama then. Report by Richard B. Simon

Road Trips Vol. 1 Number 4

$19.98

"From Egypt With Love" (October '78)

2 Disc Set + Bonus CD with Preorder

Since we

9/2/68 - Betty Nelson's Organic Raspberry Farm, Sultan WA (Sky River Music Festival)

Dark Star > Saint Stephen > The Eleven > Death Don't Have No Mercy*, Cryptical Envelopement > The Other One > Cryptical Reprise, Alligator > Caution Jam > Feedback

* cuts out at the beginning

What a great early example of the band morphing into the classic band of the Live Dead era. TC's celestial keys are not yet present (he would join about 10 weeks later), but the rest of the band is pretty much on fire from the first notes. Dark Star is only about 10 minutes, and still a bit speedy, but the intricate communications between Gar and The Professor are already coming together.

I've always been big on those early feedback "Space" things - I only wish they would have used this stuff more in the latter half of their career instead of what Space eventually became (sometimes thrilling, sometimes...not). The unearthly shrieking of just standing up close to the amps with everything on 10 is very soothing for some odd reason.

A classic show that I've returned to many times.

The bonus footage during set break with Kesey and Weir is alone worth the cost imo, especially if you're aware of what was going down backstage!

How did I forget about that! Must see material.

I know a few of you deadheads also are obamaheads so I may be alone on this but....... does anyone else get a little bit of vomit in there mouth thinking about the boys playing FOR obama? The democratic party and this music have well zilch in common.

I am supporting Obama, but I like my Dead politics free. I love the Garcia quote from when they did the Rainforest Benefit back in '87 though:

"Somebody needs to do something. It's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

I know a few of you deadheads also are obamaheads so I may be alone on this but....... does anyone else get a little bit of vomit in there mouth thinking about the boys playing FOR obama? The democratic party and this music have well zilch in common.

They have already played for him once. Maybe they are trying to make up for all the years they did not speak up.

I don't have a problem with it. They wouldn't do it unless it was incredibly important to them. Just like they wouldn't play music if it wasn't important to them.

I don't mind that Wilco, Jeff Tweedy, and Golden Smog have done it either.

9/2/68 - Betty Nelson's Organic Raspberry Farm, Sultan WA (Sky River Music Festival)

Dark Star > Saint Stephen > The Eleven > Death Don't Have No Mercy*, Cryptical Envelopement > The Other One > Cryptical Reprise, Alligator > Caution Jam > Feedback

* cuts out at the beginning

What a great early example of the band morphing into the classic band of the Live Dead era. TC's celestial keys are not yet present (he would join about 10 weeks later), but the rest of the band is pretty much on fire from the first notes. Dark Star is only about 10 minutes, and still a bit speedy, but the intricate communications between Gar and The Professor are already coming together.

I've always been big on those early feedback "Space" things - I only wish they would have used this stuff more in the latter half of their career instead of what Space eventually became (sometimes thrilling, sometimes...not). The unearthly shieking of just standing up close to the amps with everything on 10 is very soothing for some odd reason.

A classic show that I've returned to many times.

Good call.....this is a very good show.

I listened to this show just a few weeks ago.....I've been so deep into 68 the last few months that I made a decision to put away all the 68 shows for a while..........yesterday I listened to three 73 shows while BBQing a pork shoulder and a roaster chicken.

>QUOTE (Lammycat @ Aug 29 2008, 09:34 AM)

>It's been cleaned up - I think it is on youtube - or was not too long ago, anyhow.

A lot of it is on youtube. I watched it over the weekend.

It's out there to snag - I got it from dime a dozen.

The Dead and ABB To Perform for Obama

Some additional information has been released regarding the Dead reunion performance we reported this past Friday. On October 13, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart will indeed reunite along with Warren Haynes and Jeff Chimenti for a benefit concert in support of for the Presidential candidate Barack Obama. The Allman Brothers Band also will appear on the bill, with a third band to participate as well. The show will take place at the Bryce Jordan Center in State College, PA with ticket information yet to be announced.

I should try to go to that show.

It's out there to snag - I got it from dime a dozen.

I should try to go to that show.

OH MYYYYYY.

I liveabout 2 hrs from state college. Thanks for making my day, no week, no month, no YEAR.