The Grateful Dead

"Two magical, complete performances from Fall '79, the basis for Road Trips, Vol. 1 No.1. These Spectrum shows, 11/5/79 & 11/6/79, are now available in both FLAC and MP3; documenting the band in the midst of their sparkling three-week eastern swing and capturing the raw excitement of the first tours with keyboardist Brent Mydland.

The Spectrum, Philadelphia 11/5/79

From $9.99 (Available in FLAC & MP3)

More Info

The Spectrum,Philadelphia 11/6/79

More Info

Get Both Downloads and Save 10%

From $17.99 (Available in FLAC & MP3)

More Info"

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Two magical, complete performances from Fall '79, the basis for Road Trips, Vol. 1 No.1. These Spectrum shows, 11/5/79 & 11/6/79, are now available in both FLAC and MP3; documenting the band in the midst of their sparkling three-week eastern swing and capturing the raw excitement of the first tours with keyboardist Brent Mydland.

The Spectrum, Philadelphia 11/5/79

More Info

The Spectrum,Philadelphia 11/6/79

More Info

Get Both Downloads and Save 10%

From $17.99 (Available in FLAC & MP3)

More Info"

:dancing Don't forget to pre-order Egypt kids!

speaking of Egypt...has anyone purchased the Winterland 1973 set? I'm very tempted to but just can't bring myself to do it yet. if anyone has it, how's it sound/ look (artwork, etc.)?

Yes, I did. I think it's great and the set is definitely cool looking. 11/11/73 was and is my favorite show though and fall/winter '73 my favorite era. The sound quality is not stellar but typical for that timeframe. I had 11/11/73 on DAT and the sound quality on my DAT was comparable to this set. It's nice to have the whole thing. If you've never heard the Dark Star->Mind Left Body Jam-> Eyes from 11/11/73, it is worth the price of admission alone!

who's brave enough to tell me their fav Scarlet/Fire's

There are some monsters from the late 70s but the first one that always pops into my head is the S->F from Poplar Creek, Il. in '83. It's one of the early 80s quick-jam Scarlet's but the chord progressions and build up in it are really nice.

I've got a bunch that are up there, though.

>who's brave enough to tell me their fav Scarlet/Fire's

I've always enjoyed 3/22/90 from Copps Coliseum. The segue is nearly seemless. The Believe It Or Not, played live only a handful of times, is very nice as well.

AUD: http://www.archive.org/details/gd90-03-22....1433.sbeok.shnf

SBD: http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-03-2...1772.sbeok.shnf

Note that we are also in the midst of the 18th anniversary of the Dead's six-night run at MSG from 9/14 - 9/20/90, the last of which has achieved near-legendary status. I was lucky enough to catch 5 of the 6 shows, during which the boys "broke in" the new guys on the keys, Bruce Hornsby and Vince Welnick. They did a few pre- and post-drums jams with a variety of combos of band members with the new guys, all leading to a nice Dark Star on 9/20. The entire run is worth a listen:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=co...0%22&page=4

who's brave enough to tell me their fav Scarlet/Fire's

Were you looking for ScarFires that are on DPs? #6 (10/14/83) is a good long version, with Brent getting some cool 'marmba' sounds out of his keys. #13 (5/6/81) has a hidden track on disc 2 that is a S/F from 11/1/79 - 35+ minutes (!), and Mr. Mydland goes nuts on this as well.

Hope this helps.

Yeah DP#6 and Copps Coliseum (available on the So Many Roads box set) are the two commercially available that sprung to mind. Also, I think we'd be remiss if Cornell '77 wasn't mentioned and that is probably the most widely circulated recording of all time. I believe you can even find in 5.1 surround sound!

I need to get me some Grateful Dead, I am ashamed of my lack of them

or is it?

The Grateful Dead

Anthem of the Sun

Aoxomoxoa

Live/Dead

Workingman's Dead

American Beauty

Grateful Dead (also known as Skull & Roses)

Europe '72

History of the Grateful Dead: Volume One (Bear's Choice)

Ladies and Gentlemen... The Grateful Dead

and then tons of live shows. . .

The Grateful Dead

Anthem of the Sun

Aoxomoxoa

Live/Dead

Workingman's Dead

American Beauty

Grateful Dead (also known as Skull & Roses)

Europe '72

History of the Grateful Dead: Volume One (Bear's Choice)

Ladies and Gentlemen... The Grateful Dead

and then tons of live shows. . .

You just described the soundtrack of my adolescence. :thumbup

Far Out Man?

www.deadlistening.com

A number of years ago, David Gans interviewed me on his Grateful Dead Hour radio show, asking me to talk about audience tapes, and the Wall of Sound in particular. We played and talked about the Dillon Stadium 1974 AUD, one of my favorite tapes (just waiting in the wings for an upcoming review here). Well, my luck continues..

I figured that most of the GDLG readership would be interested in knowing that their trusty DeadListening tour guide, icepetal, is going to be featured on the radio this weekend. I was invited to appear on

tix on sale tomorrow at noon ticketmaster for Bryce Jordan Center at PennState on 10/13

Benefit for Obama....

here's the link!

http://barackobama.com/psu

EVENT DETAILS:

WHO: Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, and Mickey Hart, Gregg Allman, Butch Trucks, Jaimoe, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, Marc Quinones, Oteil Burbridge, and Jeff Chimenti

WHAT: Concert Fundraiser

WHERE: Bryce Jordan Center, Pennsylvania State University State College, PA

WHEN: Monday, October 13, 2008 - Doors Open 5:30 PM EDT

The Dead, Allmans To Rock For Obama

September 18, 2008 , 6:15 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Dead and the Allman Brothers Band have signed for a Barack Obama fundraising concert, to be held Oct. 13 at Bryce-Jordan Center in State College, Pa. Tickets go on sale tomorrow (Sept. 19).

"We're all deeply into this, into Barack Obama and the thought of taking this country back in some shape or form, what's left of it -- it's probably one thing we can all agree on," Dead drummer Mickey Hart told Billboard.com in July. The group reunited in February for a similar Obama fundraiser in San Francisco.

The Pennsylvania Campaign for Change is sponsoring the show and its related voter outreach campaign.

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume 1: An In-Depth Guide to the Music of the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1959-1974

I finally ordered it last night - I got it for $17.40.