The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man. I just got a call from a buddy in Dayton: "I got 2 tickets for the Obama thing on 10/13. Wanna go?"

I'm stunned.

Is it worth tracking down?

Well, I have lost all perspective (of course :stunned ), but I would say yes. I mentioned a few pages back about a really nice, long biography (done Robert Greenfield-style) about Dick Latvala in the Addendum.

I admit I haven't cracked these books in about 10 years (maybe 8). They, along with the Deadbase, were invaluable when I was collecting DATs, but the Internet has really changed the game. I rarely listen to the GD anymore (at least not religiously sifting through shows) and when someone suggests a show, I can go online and listen to it easily to see if it suits my tastes. When trading DATs, I would read all about shows and do my due diligence before making a trade or joining a tree just because it was such a commitment. But I will say the write-ups -- particularly from the folks that attended the shows -- are nice historical accounts and an interesting read. I just don't use them as reference books anymore.

Just a heads up for all who don't already know: if you pre-order both the Egypt '78 CD/DVD combo and the new Road Trips Vol. 4 before 9/30 you get them both for $49.99.

RT #4 should be a beaut - the Oct. '78 "From Egypt With Love" run at Winterland. I have some of this run on tape and it's really really good. Cippolina shows up, Lee Oskar, etc.

Weir and Lesh Side by Side in NYC

Bob Weir and Phil Lesh will make a rare in-store appearance together on October 14. The once estranged bandmates will sign copies of the new Grateful Dead archival release Rocking The Cradle: Egypt 1978 the Best Buy in midtown Manhattan at 5th Avenue and East 44th Street on October 14 starting at 7:00 PM. The first 400 people to purchase Rocking The Cradle at the Best Buy location on Tuesday, September 30 will receive a wristband entitling them access to meet Lesh and Weir on October 14. Please contact the store for more details at (212) 808-0309.

The signing will take place the day after the remaining members of the Grateful Dead play an Obama benefit at State College, PA's Bryce-Jordan Center. Weir and Lesh will also both celebrate Halloween in the New York area, with Lesh confirmed to appear at the Nokia Theatre and Weir scheduled to play the North Fork Theatre with RatDog.

Last night, Lesh's run of public dress rehearsals continued at Larkspur, CA's Sweetwater Station. Like his previous performances at the venue, Lesh's band consisted of Larry Campbell, Jackie Greene, Steve Molitz and Barry Sless, with his agent Jonathan Levine subbing for drummer John Molo. For the third night in a row, the ensemble nodded to Ryan Adams, this time with a cover of his "The Peaceful Valley." Lesh also performed Weir's politically-charged "Throwing Stones" for the first time with his solo band and also pulled both "Mr. Charlie" and "Standing On The Moon" off the shelf.

9/27/72 - Stanley Theatre, Jersey City NJ

I: Morning Dew, BIODTL, FOTD, Black-Throated Wind, Tennessee Jed, Mexicali Blues, Bird Song, Big River, Brokedown Palace, China > Rider, Playin'

II: He's Gone, Me & My Uncle, Deal, Greatest, Ramble On Rose, Dark Star > Cumberland, Attics, Promised, UJB, Casey Jones

E:Around

The reviewer in the Compendium (Robert Goetz) calls this show "one of their best ever", and it's easy to see why. From the Phil-bomb laden Dew opener to the very trippy Playin' closer this is one of the best first sets around. Special mention to the mid-set Bird Song - at the end you can hear Phil say "DYNAMITE!", and he's not kidding!

This was the best period for Greatest Story imo, and this one smokes - actually the next night's version is THE best (again, imo). The Dark Star > Cumby combo was only done this one time. It's a shame, the transition is so smooth it'll take your breath away. DS clocks in at 30+ as well. I think this might be the last Attics until the bustout in Hampton in Oct '89.

Available as Dicks Picks #11

OK so I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, and after a quick search of it I didn't see anything so I'll ask...anybody recommend a show with a stellar Wharf Rat? For whatever reason that's my favorite tune of theirs right now (although Cumberland Blues is making a move), and I was wondering if there was a definitive version of the song.

OK so I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, and after a quick search of it I didn't see anything so I'll ask...anybody recommend a show with a stellar Wharf Rat? For whatever reason that's my favorite tune of theirs right now (although Cumberland Blues is making a move), and I was wondering if there was a definitive version of the song.

I won't say definitive only because my knowledge of shows is not as vast as some of the others on here but for me:

Dicks Picks 12 Truckin>Other One Jam>Spanish Jam>Wharf Rat

5/7/77

1971/11/14 preceded by an awesome other one>me and my uncle> other one

1973/6/10 Dark Star> He's Gone> Wharf Rat (i probably would have shit my pants :shifty

I received Volume 1 of The Deadhead's Taping Compendium today - very good shape - except for a bent top right corner - but I can live with that. The amount of information in those books is astounding.

Link

September 29 - October 5, 2008

Tapers Section By David Lemieux

Plenty of good music on the docket this week here at the Tapers Section, ranging from 1969 through to 1980, with plenty of good stuff in between.

Our first stop is to beautiful Santa Rosa, California, located in the heart of Sonoma County. If you ever find yourself passing through Santa Rosa, be sure to pack your ice skates and stop in to the Charles M. Schulz skating rink (and Snoopy museum!) in downtown Santa Rosa. The Grateful Dead performed two very good shows there in June 1969, and from the second night, on 6/28/69, we have the quintet of songs that ended the show, Doin' That Rag, High Time, King Bee, Sitting On Top of the World, Lovelight. All of it is played really well, so we figured we'd fill your ears with a nice chunk of the show.

Next up, because we recently got a request for a New Speedway Boogie, is this great version from 7/3/70 in Calgary, from the famous Festival Express tour across Canada. It's too bad they put this song away in 1970, but fortunately they brought it back in 1991.

From 1973, in Portland, Oregon, we have the meaty second set jam featuring Dark Star>Eyes of the World>China Doll from 6/24/73. This was part of a little tour of the west coast in 1973, with shows in Vancouver, Portland, Seattle and Universal City. It's a nice, long, exploratory Dark Star, with a great combination of the newer songs Eyes and China Doll following it.

We'll now move forward to the fall tour of 1976, when many great concerts were played. An interesting, unique second-set sequence was played at virtually every show on this tour, and this show from 9/30/76 in Columbus, Ohio is certainly no exception. From that show, we have St. Stephen>NFA>Wharf Rat>NFA>St. Stephen>Around and Around. There's lots of great jamming throughout this sequence.

Lastly this week, from the Warfield Theatre in San Francisco during the Grateful Dead's three week residency during which they performed three sets per show, we have the opening of the second set featuring Feel Like A Stranger>Franklin's Tower, Samson and Delilah. This was drawn from the cassette master, for although there were multi-track recordings made of all of these shows, unfortunately, many have since been erased. Fortunately, the entire run is documented on cassette masters for those shows for which multi-tracks don't exist.

I preordered Rockin' The Cradle yesterday and look forward to getting it this week in the mail.

It would be nice if The Dead toured again in the near future. I would definitely make an effort to see them tour this time around. I just wonder if they would recruit Jimmy Herring again for a brief period or if they would go with someone else since Jimmy's playing with Widespread these days.

I don't know about 'definitive', but '77 has many fine versions. DP #3 has a really good one that seamlessly slides into the closing section of Terrapin - I would say it's a must hear.

Great Wharf Rat from 4-26-71 (Fillmore East NY, NY) immortilized for all time on the SkullFuck album

Good shout out MB for 9-27-72, an all time great. They sold this DP on the home shopping network when it first came out and was absolutely hillarious to see the live feed from Dead HQ with visibly tripping Latvala and Parrish going on and on about this. It's the one item I have ever ordered from a shopping channel. The operator that took my order was like "why are all these weird people calling here tonight"

True Story