The Grateful Dead

I first saw them in '83 and while the '80s aren't what I generally turn to for my GD fix, I DO really think the time between Jerry's coma and Brent's death represented golden era for the Jerry Ballads. Songs like Wharf Rat, Black Peter, Stella Blue and Morning Dew really shine IMO. There is a poignancy to Jerry's voice and tons of emotion coming out his guitar during this period. Most people look at the Cornell '77 Morning Dew as the standard-bearer (and I really can't argue with that), but AM Dew was pretty consistently great during this period. I still think Dozin' at the Knick is a great release too.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'll come clean.

I don't own much 80's dead.

So I'm looking for a recommendation. Which dicks picks is best representative of 80's dead and which do you feel has the best jamming.

thanks,

matt

10/10/82 is a rather fine AUD recording that is available thru the Archive

So, I'll come clean.

I don't own much 80's dead.

So I'm looking for a recommendation. Which dicks picks is best representative of 80's dead and which do you feel has the best jamming.

thanks,

matt

DP's #6 10/14/83 Hartford is very good. Why they never released the next night with the St. Stephen I'll never know. I attended these and the recording does justice to the quality of the show.

Set lists:

1.Alabama Getaway

2. Greatest Story Ever Told

3. They Love Each Other

4. Mama Tried

5. Big River

6. Althea

Disc: 2

1. Scarlet Begonias

2. Fire On The Mountain

3. Estimated Prophet

4. Eyes Of The World

Disc: 3

1. Drums

2. Spinach Jam

3. The Other One

4. Stella Blue

5. Sugar Magnolia

6. U.S. Blues

Link

Welcome back to the Tapers Section. As we roll toward the dog days of summer, we have a good range of Grateful Dead music for you this week, as well as a nice Jerry Garcia Band track for your enjoyment.

Our first selections this week come from all the way up in British Columbia, Canada, in Vancouver specifically, to the Grateful Dead's first-ever concerts outside of the state of California. From the second show, 7/30/66, we have Cream Puff War, Viola Lee Blues, Beat It On Down The Line, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl. that final song has a cut in the master reel at the end, but it's a great version nonetheless and worth hearing. there isn't a lot of 1966 material in the vault, but what there is contains some exciting music, as heard here as well as on the very cool album rare cuts and oddities 1966 (check that album out if you want to hear some truly rare cuts that are occasionally odd).

Next we'll hear music from Jerry's birthday, on 8/1/73 at Roosevelt Stadium. From that massive show the ended the Grateful Dead's interesting run of shows in the summer of 1973 we have Dark Star>El Paso. After this show, the band would spend a good chunk of August, 1973, at the Plant studios in Sausalito, recording Wake of the Flood. They'd then return to the road for a short tour in September (9/7 through 9/26), followed by the nearly-uninterrupted string of perfection that last two months, 10/19 through 12/19. And in between, on 10/15, the Grateful Dead would release the first album on their own record label, Wake of the Flood. Indeed, it was a busy time for the Grateful Dead.

Jumping ahead almost nine years, we'll now stop in to Red Rocks, where we'll hear the pre-Drums portion of the show on 7/29/82, consisting of Cold Rain and Snow>Samson and Delilah, Crazy Fingers>I Need A Miracle. Crazy Fingers had returned to the lineup after a nearly-six year absence a couple of weeks before at the Ventura County Fairgrounds on 7/18/82. If you get a chance to read Blair Jackson's outstanding book on the Grateful Dead

DP's #6 10/14/83 Hartford is very good. Why they never released the next night with the St. Stephen I'll never know. I attended these and the recording does justice to the quality of the show.

Set lists:

1.Alabama Getaway

2. Greatest Story Ever Told

3. They Love Each Other

4. Mama Tried

5. Big River

6. Althea

Disc: 2

1. Scarlet Begonias

2. Fire On The Mountain

3. Estimated Prophet

4. Eyes Of The World

Disc: 3

1. Drums

2. Spinach Jam

3. The Other One

4. Stella Blue

5. Sugar Magnolia

6. U.S. Blues

I saw them in Richmond about a week before that, and it was awesome. My brother was at that St. Stephen show.

I saw them in Richmond about a week before that, and it was awesome. My brother was at that St. Stephen show.

I believe that was the Sugar Mag tease->Good Lovin', right?

I was at the Stephen Hartford show as well and it's one of my most vivid Dead show memories. I was waiting on each note out of Space for the intro after knowing it was done at MSG earlier in the week. The MSG and Hartford Stephen shows are kind of similar in the second set.

Sam Bush's band and a lot of the other cats from Rocky Grass fest (Bela, Chris Thile, etc.) closed with a Brokedown Palace on Sunday night.

I first saw them in '83 and while the '80s aren't what I generally turn to for my GD fix, I DO really think the time between Jerry's coma and Brent's death represented golden era for the Jerry Ballads. Songs like Wharf Rat, Black Peter, Stella Blue and Morning Dew really shine IMO. There is a poignancy to Jerry's voice and tons of emotion coming out his guitar during this period. Most people look at the Cornell '77 Morning Dew as the standard-bearer (and I really can't argue with that), but AM Dew was pretty consistently great during this period. I still think Dozin' at the Knick is a great release too.

I'd agree with this. My show-going days were between 1980 and 1986 and I saw some great shows, including some great Morning Dews. But most of what I listen to now is from 1969 to 1972. But I've never heard Dozin' at the Knick ...

I believe that was the Sugar Mag tease->Good Lovin', right?

I did not remember this, as I was quite the crispy critter back in those days ... but I just listened to it, and sure enough, the entire first minute of Good Lovin' is a major Sugar Mag tease. It's not a separate track on my copy.

Weird, but funny.

7/31/82 - Manor Downs, Austin TX

II: Scarlet > Fire > Estimated > Eyes > Drums > Space > Uncle John's > Truckin' > Dew > Sat. Nite

E: Don't Ease

I only listed the second set because that's all I own. With all due respect to the wonderful shows from the Spring, and the Frost shows in October, this might possibly be my favorite set from all of '82.

Although the pre-drums was played in this order many times who in their right mind would complain? The transition from Eyes into the drums is a unique moment to my ears - just Brentski and the drummers, and Brent goes fucking crazy on the Rhodes ala Chick Corea. Very far out stuff!

The second half of the set is very strong as well. I've always loved UJB out of Space, and to follow that with a good Truckin', and then Dew, seals the deal. This is another shining example of why shows from the latter half of their career should be listened to. I've owned this cassette for over 20 years and listened to it more times than I could count, and it always is thrilling.

MB: thought you'd post the Yale Bowl show from 37 years ago up here yesterday. My pal's sister was like 16, lived a few blocks away, snuck in, and Garcia helped her up on stage and gave her a beer. True story.

MB: thought you'd post the Yale Bowl show from 37 years ago up here yesterday. My pal's sister was like 16, lived a few blocks away, snuck in, and Garcia helped her up on stage and gave her a beer. True story.

Cool! Was that the show that ended up with riot cops and tear gas etc. outside the stadium? Some kind of Weathermen shit protesting that music should be "free for THE PEOPLE".

Cool! Was that the show that ended up with riot cops and tear gas etc. outside the stadium? Some kind of Weathermen shit protesting that music should be "free for THE PEOPLE".

I've never heard about a riot but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

In keeping with the spirit of Jerry Week, NP: Dick's Picks #31

Culled from 8/4,5 and 6 of '74. I can't recommend this one enough. These were the last shows before the small European Tour in September (hilariously, although probably not accurately, documented in Scully's book). Both versions of Playin' are here, and the Playin' > Scarlet > Playin' from 8/6 is frighteningly good.

8/9/95

Ooooh, nothin's gonna bring him back.... :ohwell

Man, I've been so wrapped up in my own shit, I never even realized.

But as I think of something to write a chill comes to my spine; I miss you Jerry.

"I wish there was a song to sing to bring you back......."

Taking a toke and listening to standing on the moon from 1993/12/10

"i'd rather be with you"

Has anyone seen these films:

A Night at the Family Dog 1970 (The Grateful Dead / Jefferson Airplane / Santana

Track Listing:

Santana

-Incident At Neshabur

-Soul Sacrifice

The Grateful Dead

-Hard To Handle

-China Cat Sunflower

-I Know You Rider

Jefferson Airplane

-The Ballad of You And Me And Pooneil

-Eskimo Blue Day

A Super Jam

-All Star jam with members of all 3 bands!

Go Ride the Music and West Pole

TRACK LISTING Disc 1 - Go Ride The Music: 1) We Can Be Together - Jefferson Airplane 2) Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane 3) Mexico - Jefferson Airplane 4) Warm Red Wine - Quicksilver Messenger Service 5) Baby Baby - Quicksilver Messenger Service 6) Subway - Quicksilver Messenger Service 7) Plastic Fantastic Lover - Jefferson Airplane 8) Somebody To Love - Jefferson Airplane 9) Mona - Quicksilver Messenger Service 10) Emergency - Jefferson Airplane 11) Wooden Ships - Jefferson Airplane

Disc 2 - West Pole: 1) Music - Ace Of Cups 2) Roll With It - Steve Miller Band 3) Greasy Heart - Jefferson Airplane 4) New Potato Caboose - Grateful Dead 5) Dino's Song - Quicksilver Messenger Service 6) Sittin' In Circles - Steve Miller Band 7) Simplicity - Ace Of Cups 8) Freedom - Sons Of Champlin 9) Gospel Song - Ace Of Cups

I've seen bits and pieces of the Family Dog thing, but that "Go Ride.." movie looks REAL good (never seen it). Very little QMS footage out there - that would be awesome to see.

Deadheads, can anyone recommend their favorite TLEO from an official release?

Dick's Picks 28 ( I'm pretty sure it's #28) has two different versions from Feb. '73 on it. I like those older bouncy ones.

The DP from Englishtown '77, too. Of course, the Cornell '77 one needs to be mentioned. I think that made it to an official release....