• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And fuck The Strokes too.

Simon stole a lot of Graceland from Los Lobos.

From what I just briefly read on Wikipedia, it sounds like it was 2 songs?

Whatever. I really think this is some shallow shit here. I can't imagine hating a band because of where they come from. That's really, really dumb.

:lol

I mean, I watched Michael Gira transubstantiate himself into the fallen Lucifer at a Swans show at Irving Plaza in 1988. I saw a Bad Brains show so insane that the whole room turned into a mosh pit. I saw Camper Van Beethoven shatter Einsteinian reality with their cover version of "Interstellar Overdrive." I KNOW shit from Shinola.

I mean, I watched Michael Gira transubstantiate himself into the fallen Lucifer at a Swans show at Irving Plaza in 1988.

"Gira lived with his parents in a relatively affluent suburb of Los Angeles, California"

Fuck him.

From what I just briefly read on Wikipedia, it sounds like it was 2 songs?

Whatever. I really think this is some shallow shit here. I can't imagine hating a band because of where they come from. That's really, really dumb.

So sue me. They marketed me wrong, is all.

"Gira lived with his parents in a relatively affluent suburb of Los Angeles, California"

Fuck him.

Wonder what THAT household was like.

Jesus wept. I don't like Vampire Weekend because they ape a great genre of music, badly, to the point of insult and exploitation. That they are rich just makes me more mad at them. If someone comes up with some stats (: ;) ) that this band's success results in people getting into Afropop and more money going to deserving Afropop artists, then maybe I will STFU about them. Until then, motherfuck them AND John Wayne.

But don't Afropop band's try and sound like western bands?, which is where the Pop bit of their name comes from. I wonder if they get hung up on not being from that culture when they steal from it?

Personally I think we should all be talking Animal Collective's album and the 'afropop' influences on that - cos I'd argue white kids from america can have african influences and be good at it - not this mediocre band. But, I think the fact that they are white and rich doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to play any style of music they wish to. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are both white middle class grammar school boys, but that didn't mean they couldn't play the blues or country. Although, like I said - there is a difference being allowed to play what you want and being good at it, which is where Vampire Weekend fail in this debate.

I don't know enough about Afropop to say whether Vampire Weekend is a success or failure at appropriating bits of it. But I do know that I find the record tuneful and much more enjoyable than just about any other well-known pop record of last year, so the band is at least successful at something.

Tell that to Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Bon Iver, et al. Massive amounts of reverb seem to be part of the formula for hipness in the age of Pitchfork. ;)

yeah. they are hip. that doesn't mean that vampire weekend, for example, could just copy that production - cos all that will do is make reverb less hip, not them more so.

yeah. they are hip. that doesn't mean that vampire weekend, for example, could just copy that production - cos all that will do is make reverb less hip, not them more so.

So am I unhip because I think the reverb makes AC, PB and BI sound like shit? :P

So am I unhip because I think the reverb makes AC, PB and BI sound like shit? :P

yes :P

I don't get the love for Animal Collective.

i'm not trying to say that vampire weekend are shit here, i was trying to defend what they did - i just can't defend them being great cos i don't think they are. whereas i do think so with animal collective. i'd just find it more interesting and able to contribute more if we were talking about them instead with regard to white guys taking african influences.

have you heard the new album?, cos it's a lot more poppy than any of their other stuff. i'd have thought you'd like it.

have you heard the new album?, cos it's a lot more poppy than any of their other stuff. i'd have thought you'd like it.

The new AC album? yes, and while my post was meant merely to poke fun at "your favorite band sucks"-type discussions, I truly do find the overbearing use of reverb to be huge turnoff. There is some good stuff buried under that reverb, I just have a hard time listening to it because of that reverb.