The new AC album? yes, and while my post was meant merely to poke fun at "your favorite band sucks"-type discussions, I truly do find the overbearing use of reverb to be huge turnoff. There is some good stuff buried under that reverb, I just have a hard time listening to it because of that reverb.

i don't really notice it. there is certainly not as much as on Person Pitch, but I think some of the reason for that reverb was because the source material of the samples often had a lot of reverb on it, and also when you layer that many layers of sound on something it becomes a little hazy and less defined.

I have not heard the new one. Maybe I should.

But either way, this is all subjective. Whatever.

yes. you really should hear it. and that is not a subjective opinion, it's a fact.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then you prolly won't dig it too much.

that said, sonically, this is BAR NONE the best thing any body in that band has ever released.

i liked Person Pitch, but didn't dig the trebly under water production. they actually discovered LOW END this time

But I thought Person Pitch was pretty bad.

It's not really like that, though - or i don't think it is, maybe it has the same things in it that will put you off.

Try this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0SWKnXIZFyg

and this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fQZsr4QcW8E&...feature=related

it's a track off the album (not good sound quality, but you'll get an idea)

I don't think he'll like it. Like it or not, AC is never going to be universally adored. They are a love them or hate them band and for good reason.

yup.

hell, i'm shocked i like this new album as much as i do... and i basically loathed the band before this (still find them pretty annoying live)

Y'all sound like apologists.

"Normally I avoid 'blog bands' like the plague, and when I succumb to the hype enough to give them a listen I am presented with some crap like Vampire Weekend or The Fleet Foxes most of the time.

Thanks, but No Thanks."

Autopsy IV

9b

:wub

I ejected VW (and Fleet Foxes for that matter. :lol) into the ether after the first listens because like cheap beer and Britney Spears, life's too short, my hard drive too small.

I have said before that I don't get the love for Animal Collective but fair play to them and let them at it. As for Vampire Weekend, I like the previous poster, tend to run a mile from "cool blog bands" as well but I must have heard the majority of their album on the radio over time and have found it head noddingly pleasant and quite all right. I like them in the way I like Destiny's Child singles. Nice to listen to when I am working but not something I would buy.

I am not too impressed by Fleet Foxes either, come to think of it. What do they do that MMJ has not done better?

I am not too impressed by Fleet Foxes either, come to think of it. What do they do that MMJ has not done better?

UGH. :stunned

come on people, don't even respond to this. it's obvious he hasn't paid attention to many threads on here over the last year if he's asking this...

don't feed the trolls. :pirate

UGH. :stunned

come on people, don't even respond to this. it's obvious he hasn't paid attention to many threads on here over the last year if he's asking this...

don't feed the trolls. :pirate

Dude, I respect what you have done for our community, but I am not a troll. (I am more of an owlbear or perhaps a gelatinous cube.) I am just a guy who has not jumped on a bandwagon, and I am not ashamed to say so. Trust me, no amount of typey-type-type by anyone who is not Lester Bangs is going to convince me to like music I don't like.

I don't care about image, although it certainly seems sometimes that people get a little too wrapped up in it. Would people still like Fleet Foxes if they didn't all look like mountain men?

Vampire Weekend is pleasant enough, but it's an album I wouldn't ever miss not hearing again. I'm interested to see where they go from here, though, which I find more compelling than whether some people dislike their album because they tie sweaters around their necks.

The Fleet Foxes thing is something else entirely. It's another album I enjoyed, but the press just seems out-of-whack. Forget the MMJ references for the minute and look to this year's releases. Obviously, there are some differences in their respective sounds, but I thought Dr. Dog outdid Fleet Foxes by a long shot. And I think the similarities are close enough to warrant some comparison.

I know everyone's tastes are different, and blah, blah, blah. But that's my impression after repeated listens to both.

Dude, I respect what you have done for our community, but I am not a troll. (I am more of an owlbear or perhaps a gelatinous cube.) I am just a guy who has not jumped on a bandwagon, and I am not ashamed to say so. Trust me, no amount of typey-type-type by anyone who is not Lester Bangs is going to convince me to like music I don't like.

fine.

it's just that we've discussed this band a THOUSAND TIMES OVER the past 18 months, and if you're just now gonna come drop into this thread (which has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH FLEET FOXES) and drop a stink bomb, that's lame and borderline trolling imo, sorry. ;)

so what i'm trying to say is, good for you, you don't like Fleet Foxes, tons of fucking people on here do, tons of other people do, we're not going to change your mind, nor vice versa, so what is your point even? especially in a thread about VW...

and to say anyone who likes Fleet Foxes is just jumping on some bandwagon is ridiculous. hell, i'd seen them in concert twice before Pitchfork even reviewed their record. (doesn't make me cool or anything, just refuting the bandwagon claims).

I don't care about image, although it certainly seems sometimes that people get a little too wrapped up in it. Would people still like Fleet Foxes if they didn't all look like mountain men?

The Fleet Foxes thing is something else entirely. It's another album I enjoyed, but the press just seems out-of-whack. Forget the MMJ references for the minute and look to this year's releases. Obviously, there are some differences in their respective sounds, but I thought Dr. Dog outdid Fleet Foxes by a long shot. And I think the similarities are close enough to warrant some comparison.

I know everyone's tastes are different, and blah, blah, blah. But that's my impression after repeated listens to both.

:rolleyes uh, yes. that's sort of a silly question imo. had no clue what they looked like prior to hearing them, or even before the first time i saw them.

again... you can claim all the stuff about press, etc. but what about those of us who were listening to the 2006 Demos in late '07 and then when the Sun Giant EP leaked winter '07/08? clearly we all weren't swayed by the press/hype. was the hype maybe overblown after the album was released in June? i guess... but it was in my top 3 on the year, so i personally would say most of the press is warranted (esp. their live show).

and i'm also a HUGE HUGE Dr. Dog fan (that said, Fate was very good, but didn't even crack my top 20)... but not really a fair comparison. Dr. Dog have been around since 1999, and when you consider their debut album from 2001, no contest compared to Fleet Foxes debut (i also don't think they really sound ANYTHING like Dr. Dog to warrant a single comparison honestly). i think people forget the fact that a lot of these albums are bands first records going up against bands who have been at this for quite a while. that often is what makes a record like Fleet Foxes so impressive in my book. will they top it going forward? i dunno, but the potential is quite high.

uh, yes. that's sort of a silly question imo.

again... you can claim all the stuff about press, etc. but what about those of us who were listening to the 2006 Demos in late '07 and then when the Sun Giant EP leaked winter '07/08? clearly we all weren't swayed by the press/hype. was the hype maybe overblown? i guess... but it was in my top 3 on the year, so i personallly would say most of the press is warranted (esp. their live show).

and i'm also a HUGE HUGE Dr. Dog fan... but not really a fair comparison. Dr. Dog have been around since 1999, and when you consider their debut album from 2001, no contest to Fleet Foxes debut. i think people forget the fact that a lot of these albums are bands first records going up against bands who have been at this for quite a while. that often is what makes a record like Fleet Foxes so impressive in my book. will they top it going forward? i dunno, but the potential is quite high.

It was a purposefully silly question. Nobody likes a band because of their image, so why would someone dislike a band for that reason. It doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, not to further hijack this thread, but I would agree with you about Fleet Foxes and the fact that it is a strong debut, pointing to a potentially high ceiling. I think you can say the same for Vampire Weekend.

But my point about Dr. Dog is that, in my opinion, Fate is a much better album than Fleet Foxes. This year. I'm not comparing the groups or their potential, but the products they released this year.

And it seems that in most years, a good debut album will get more credit and acclaim and press because of the fact that it's a debut album. It feels like this is what happened with Fleet Foxes and Vampire Weekend. Very good albums from promising bands that get more hype than they might deserve, setting up ultra-high expectations and inevitable backlash.

It was a purposefully silly question. Nobody likes a band because of their image, so why would someone dislike a band for that reason. It doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, not to further hijack this thread, but I would agree with you about Fleet Foxes and the fact that it is a strong debut, pointing to a potentially high ceiling. I think you can say the same for Vampire Weekend.

But my point about Dr. Dog is that, in my opinion, Fate is a much better album than Fleet Foxes. This year. I'm not comparing the groups or their potential, but the products they released this year.

And it seems that in most years, a good debut album will get more credit and acclaim and press because of the fact that it's a debut album. It feels like this is what happened with Fleet Foxes and Vampire Weekend. Very good albums from promising bands that get more hype than they might deserve, setting up ultra-high expectations and inevitable backlash.

ah, sorry, guess i didn't pick up on what you were getting at Re: image :thumbup

fair enough, i just disagree with you on Fate vs. Fleet Foxes is all, as much as i love Dr. Dog, they've yet to make a truly GREAT album 100% all the way through... the last two records, while very good, have all had a clunker or two. i much prefer Dr. Dog live to their records too, fwiw.

ah, sorry, guess i didn't pick up on what you were getting at Re: image :thumbup

fair enough, i just disagree with you on Fate vs. Fleet Foxes is all, as much as i love Dr. Dog, they've yet to make a truly GREAT album 100% all the way through... the last two records, while very good, have all had a clunker or two. i much prefer Dr. Dog live to their records too, fwiw.

It's funny you say that, because I've only seen them once. They opened for Wilco in Dallas and I wasn't very impressed. But I love the albums, especially the new one. I probably need to catch them again.