• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were some posts in this thread that made no sense at all. How can a pop band be an "updated minstrel show"?
And yes, the whole privileged east coast prep school upbringing coupled with the linen pants/rope belt getup, while banging on bongos and singing about Oxford commas and mansard roofs makes me want to puke. Sorry.
These guys aren't world-changers or anything, but most of the album is catchy enough fun. But does anyone else hear the similarity between "Oxford Comma" and Tom Petty's "Don't Do Me Like That"?

funny you should mention that...

Vampire Weekend + Andrew W.K. covering "Don't Come Around Hear No More"

Bjorn, you're gonna have to do better than that. That's some shallow, shallow reasoning to be throwing around "minstrel show", which is a pretty shitty, loaded term.

Jesus wept. I don't like Vampire Weekend because they ape a great genre of music, badly, to the point of insult and exploitation. That they are rich just makes me more mad at them. If someone comes up with some stats (:;)) that this band's success results in people getting into Afropop and more money going to deserving Afropop artists, then maybe I will STFU about them. Until then, motherfuck them AND John Wayne.

Jesus wept. I don't like Vampire Weekend because they ape a great genre of music, badly, to the point of insult and exploitation. That they are rich just makes me more mad at them. If someone comes up with some stats (: ;) ) that this band's success results in people getting into Afropop and more money going to deserving Afropop artists, then maybe I will STFU about them. Until then, motherfuck them AND John Wayne.

they're rich??? uh, no

they're not even as big as Arcade Fire... and i can tell you no one in that band is even close to "rich"

Meh, whatever. You don't like them. I don't think they "ape" shit, but whatever. They've been influenced by a genre of music, and it's apparent on a few songs, but for the most part, they are just a guitar pop band. If you really think all they've done is exploited the genre of Afropop, then I think you haven't really listened to them.

Anyone who has ever been influence by anything ever is taking part in minstrelsy. You heard it here first.

Solace, aren't they upper middle class to begin with? I think that was his point. Fucking assholes! How dare they?

God, that fucking bothers me. Who gives a fuck what their upbringing is? If they were raised poor and made the same music, would it be any better? What the fuck does a bank account have to do with music? This whole poor, starving artist bullshit is such crap. Beyond the fact that you don't like the music, you are being a bigot.

Solace, aren't they upper middle class to begin with? I think that was his point. Fucking assholes! How dare they?

God, that fucking bothers me. Who gives a fuck what their upbringing is? If they were raised poor and made the same music, would it be any better? What the fuck does a bank account have to do with music? This whole poor, starving artist bullshit is such crap. Beyond the fact that you don't like the music, you are being a bigot.

if it was... that's even more lame.

so nobody who is well off can start/be in a band?

if it was... that's even more lame.

so nobody who is well off can start/be in a band?

I wouldn't go that far. I would hope that unlike VW, they would a.) not suck so hard - serious, it seems to me that they just can't freaking PLAY - and b.) not play the music of a people so much poorer than they (or even I) are.

I am not being a bigot, but I am feeling my inner Marxist lately.

Good for them, then. I found their album to be pretty much unlistenable.

In defense of Bjorn, I have seen (maybe here, I can't remember) people giving bands like Fall Out Boy shit for being from rich suburbs. Either way, it has little to do with the music as long as the band doesn't sing, say, songs about working graveyards in a factory and drinking malt liquor.

As for Vampire Weekend, I don't need them, but I don't find them particularly offensive.

Paul Simon was filthy fucking rich when he made Graceland. What an asshole.

And if we're going to get into this, what the fuck does Jay Farrar know about grain whiskey stills, and what was 18 year old Jeff Tweedy doing singing about the depression? At least Vampire Weekend isn't singing about living in Africa or anything.