• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The long Vampire Weekend:

01-17 London, England - Hoxton Square Bar and Kitchen

01-29 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom

01-30 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom ^

01-31 San Francisco, CA - Popscene

02-01 San Francisco, CA - Amoeba Records (in-store)

02-06 Washington, DC - Rock and Roll Hotel

02-07 Philadelphia, PA - First Unitarian Church

02-08 Williamstown, MA - Williams College Currier Ballroom

02-09 Boston, MA - Museum of Fine Arts

02-11 Toronto, Ontario - Horseshoe Tavern

02-13 Cincinnati, OH - The Gypsy Hut

02-14 Columbus, OH - Wexner Center

02-15 Pittsburgh, PA - Andy Warhol Musem

03-06 Orlando, FL - The Social *

03-07 South Florida Everglades, FL - Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation (Langerado)

03-08 St. Augustine, FL - Caf

I wont overintellectualize the band. I just know it sounds great while working out and driving.

I mean, if new bands had to influenced by anything, African and early Talking Heads music sure isn't a bad way to go. And to my ears they sound like they are trying to do their own thing unlike some other bands whose influences are the whole thing they have going (cough, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, cough).

• 1 month later...

I was told today that there has been something of a backlash against these guys because of their upper middle class upbringing. I hadn't heard this, but it seems like it was echoed in at least one post in this thread. Are people fucking serious?

Apparently. I hate rich people more than anything, generally speaking, but I won't begrudge anybody with REAL talent - which these kids have in spades - their unfortunate upbringing.

One of my top three '08 discs to date. Fun, innately listenable stuff. And I doubt I'd have even noticed the so-called "Africanness" of the music if it hadn't been pointed out to me in every single review of the band's music that I've ever laid eyes on. It's just airtight pop to my ears, with a not unremarkable "world music" edge. Big fuckin' deal!

Well, I don't think they are exactly breaking a ton of new ground, so I can understand charges of being derivative. Boring is a subjective charge, so there's no point in challenging that. As for whether they'll be forgotten in 2 years, who knows and who cares? I mean, obviously Solace plans on remembering them in two years, and I'm pretty sure I will too, so what's your point?

so what's your point?

My point is just that I dont understand why the indie media decided to go ga-ga over these guys, when theres really nothing special or noteworthy about them or the music.

And yes, the whole privileged east coast prep school upbringing coupled with the linen pants/rope belt getup, while banging on bongos and singing about Oxford commas and mansard roofs makes me want to puke. Sorry.

And yes, the whole privileged east coast prep school upbringing coupled with the linen pants/rope belt getup, while banging on bongos and singing about Oxford commas and mansard roofs makes me want to puke. Sorry.

Seems like you have a problem with them more than their music.

I think it's great stuff. It's fun, upbeat, melodic, hooky. I don't care if isn't something no one has heard before, I love the album start to finish.

Seems like you have a problem with them more than their music.

Im perfectly capable of separating background from music... still not drinking the cool aid. I spun the disc 3 or 4 times and that was enough.

Look, I'm not saying its awful. Im saying its woefully average and pedestrian. If I need an album to throw on while I've got a ton of people over on my porch and theres some bratwurst on the grill, then I mite reach for this album (although in truth I'd just rather listen to the Sea and Cake in that situation instead). But it is not deserving of the rave writeups its getting.

people are also very very much so overstating their buzz/hype honestly... they're still very much an unknown band at this point (the venue they are playing here in Minneapolis in April holds 300 and hasn't sold out yet)

at this point it's still less than Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's was, and imo, this is much much more justified. Bon Iver's gotten less buzz but deserves even more.. am i bitter no?

and lastly, what about those of us who were listening to the Blue CD-R since September (and the EP since July), it's obviously that we're not all swayed by hype like people would love to assume.

Me too, and I have never heard a note of their music. Sounds like an updated minstrel show act to me.

• 10 months later...

"soukous guitar"

what is this exactly - or what are examples on the album?

i was never blown away during the hype by what clips i heard or live songs i saw, but they did play The Kids Don't Stand a Chance on Conan fairly recently.

i decided to use my C-mas gift card and get it - which i do in these situations - if it's sucks, well at least I didn't waste money on it.

i have to say, it's an enjoyable record to listen to.

no obvious skippers or anything.

not a classic on any hand - like some said - will this record be talked about a few years from now?

probably not unless they continue to release strong releases in the future.

otherwise they'll probably have a Strokes/Clap Your hands/Arctic Monkeys type career.

The album is very Wes Anderson to me (or should I say Mothersbaugh score for Wes Anderson - the keyboard/string arrangements).