• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, but how about June or something? Starting the season there is ridonkulous.

I doubt any team would agree to travel that far mid-season. At the beginning of the season, they can build in some extra days to rest up both when they arrive in Japan and when they return to the U.S., but in June they can't do that.

Also, the Japanese baseball season runs pretty much the same time as the MLB season. I don't think the Japanese baseball leagues would be very happy about Major League games in Japan mid-season to take away interest from Japanese baseball.

I doubt any team would agree to travel that far mid-season. At the beginning of the season, they can build in some extra days to rest up both when they arrive in Japan and when they return to the U.S., but in June they can't do that.

Yeah, I kinda thought someone would say that - I'm not that good at talking about stuff.

I want to say the Yankees and Rays and Yankees and Mariners have done series in Japan before, but I could be wrong. I know for sure the Rays and Yanks did once, though. I got up early to watch them.

Jeez, it's not like these guys are flying in the cargo section of a plane straight out of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Sure, the travel can't possibly be something that they look forward to, but we ARE talking about first class/charter air travel. And the finest hotels. And the finest foods and hospitality when they get there. The travel complaints are just about a whole lot of nothing in my book.

Jeez, it's not like these guys are flying in the cargo section of a plane straight out of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Sure, the travel can't possibly be something that they look forward to, but we ARE talking about first class/charter air travel. And the finest hotels. And the finest foods and hospitality when they get there. The travel complaints are just about a whole lot of nothing in my book.

It's not about the finest this or that ... it's the 14-hour time difference that's the issue. That can take a long time to recover from, and any team in the middle of a pennant race would be stupid to want to take a trip that long in the middle of the season.

That's why these things happen in March.

The atmosphere for the games is pretty awesome too.

Speaking of atmosphere, Dolphins stadium is a finalist to host same games for the WBC next year. I can see a Cuba-Puerto Rico matchup drawing 70,000+ and being an absolute ball. If it happens I'm going to try to go.

It's not about the finest this or that ... it's the 14-hour time difference that's the issue. That can take a long time to recover from, and any team in the middle of a pennant race would be stupid to want to take a trip that long in the middle of the season.

Screws with the rotation as well as they cross the International Date Line. The time difference is a pretty big factor here.

Also: I believe it was 2004 that the NYY and Tampa Bay opened the season in Tokyo, too. I think the Expos played some regular season games against (I forget) in Pueto Rico/San Juan, too.

Screws with the rotation as well as they cross the International Date Line. The time difference is a pretty big factor here.

Also: I believe it was 2004 that the NYY and Tampa Bay opened the season in Tokyo, too. I think the Expos played some regular season games against (I forget) in Pueto Rico or San Juan, too.

The Expos played 19 home games each of their last two seasons in Hiram Bithorn stadium in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I considered flying down when the Marlins played them and staying with family.

The Expos played 19 home games each of their last two seasons in Hiram Bithorn stadium in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I considered flying down when the Marlins played them and staying with family.

That's right, I remember now.

I think it was the Cubs and Mets (not NYY/SEA) who had played in Japan first, wasn't it?

Didn't the Japan season opener practically ruin Mussina for an entire year once?

I'm not sure you can blame that on the series.

I need to get a baseball prospectus subscription... I'd spend all day on there. I'm considering going to Barnes and Noble today and just reading the 2008 BP book for a few hours. Maybe try to see what PECOTA thinks about my fantasy team...

(And, you know, if anyone has a BP subscription and doesn't mind letting me use it, that could be cool.)

I wasn't the one suggesting that they do it in the middle of season. I was lamenting the complaints about the trips to Japan at this point in the season.

I agree that the time difference is a fair point that I had not considered. You know what? I still don't care. Man up.

These dudes can sleep until 1pm on days with a night game.

Didn't the Japan season opener practically ruin Mussina for an entire year once?

From the NY Times about a year ago:

Some Pitches From Mussina Should Be Private

By MURRAY CHASS

Mike Mussina graduated from Stanford and is supposed to be an intelligent guy, but every once in a while he doesn

I wasn't the one suggesting that they do it in the middle of season. I was lamenting the complaints about the trips to Japan at this point in the season.

Ah. I'm guilty of conflating several posts in my mind and then replying to yours alone.

I certainly don't think these guys have any major reason for bitching. Besides, you should be proud to serve as ambassadors for your sport to a far-off country that also happens to be mad for it. I'd consider it a privilege.

Plus, I'm hot for Japanese chicks.

Regardless of how much money they make or their accomodations and time for sleep on the flights, baseball players ( as like most professional athletes) are creatures of habit. I've already mentioned the monkey wrench it throws into the starting rotation but adjusting to climate/environment and the time zones has an affect on most of the players, I'd imagine.

So yes, they get loads of money and should suck it up (and as far as I know, they do) but it still takes them out of their collective comfort zones for the beginning of the season.

I certainly don't think these guys have any major reason for bitching. Besides, you should be proud to serve as ambassadors for your sport to a far-off country that also happens to be mad for it. I'd consider it a privilege.

I don't think anyone (besides Mussina after the fact) is bitching, though. The BOS players were sticking up for their coaches, demanding they get paid for the trip as well, is all

The Japan games are the official start to the season, right? So this is probably as good a time as any to zip up this thread and start a new one, I would think.

If they haven't happened yet, I'd appreciate it if someone would just start a new thread whenever they do, and I'll go ahead and close this one then.

:wave