US unveils new driver's license rules

WASHINGTON - Americans born after Dec. 1, 1964, will have to get more secure driver's licenses in the next six years under ambitious post-9/11 security rules to be unveiled Friday by federal officials.

The Homeland Security Department has spent years crafting the final regulations for the REAL ID Act, a law designed to make it harder for terrorists, illegal immigrants and con artists to get government-issued identification. The effort once envisioned to take effect in 2008 has been pushed back in the hopes of winning over skeptical state officials.

Even with more time, more federal help and technical advances, REAL ID still faces stiff opposition from civil liberties groups.

To address some of those concerns, the government now plans to phase in a secure ID initiative that Congress passed into law in 2005. Now, DHS plans a key deadline in 2011

That perk only lasts for three years or so ... after which you'll have to get one of these things too. :P

You and your math. Thanks for bringing me down, man.

And PS - they don't think my demographic is scary at all! Yours, however, is suspicious. :brow

My Mom is a Danish citizen but lives in the states. She recently had to get a new green card to comply with "Homeland Security Regulations." I had a look at it and the amount of security measures on that thing is scary. Holograms and watermark type things everywhere, micro-sized portraits of every american president running across the bottom. The whole thing kind of freaked me out when I saw it.

micro-sized portraits of every american president running across the bottom.

Really? Wo.