I am finding that BORN AGAIN IN THE USA stays in heavy rotation for me.

I really like the dynamics of the O'Rourke/Tweedy collaboration. I wish there could be some sort of accomodation where O'Rourke could become a de facto member of Wilco.

I have a feeling that Nels may not be a permanent addition to Wilco. If/when he leaves, my excitement would be renewed with an addition of O'Rourke.

I really like the dynamics of the O'Rourke/Tweedy collaboration. I wish there could be some sort of accomodation where O'Rourke could become a de facto member of Wilco.

I have a feeling that Nels may not be a permanent addition to Wilco. If/when he leaves, my excitement would be renewed with an addition of O'Rourke.

I was listening to the self-titled Wednesday, I love these guys quite a bit, I probably listen to their records just as much as I listen to Wilco these days. Anyway I'm not sure I see Nels only being a short-term member, this lineup seems pretty stable and a lot of the politicing/band members getting canned seemed to leave with Bennett, yeah I know Leroy left in 2004, but that seemed to be of his own accord. However, I thought the Bach/Jorgensen lineup was going to last for a long time too. What I really wanted to see was a Tweedy/O'Rourke/Bach/Jorgensen/Kotche/Stirratt lineup. Jim was a pretty amazing addition all of the times he played with the band during the YHF tour.

I am not sure how well he'd fit now with the six piece. And Loose Fur is awfully is good as it is, still it's an intriguing proposition.

--Mike

You know, my initial impression when Nels joined up was that he would certainly be a temporary member, especially given his own statements on his website, which indicated that he considered himself a bit of hired gun. Also, it seemed that he was such a strong musical personality that he would need to have serious input in the direction of the band, but Glenn seemed to have taken over Jay's old role as Jeff's main musical partner. After seeing how the band has developed since then, though, I really get the feeling that Nels has become an integral part of the band and that Jeff is willing to let Nels help shape the direction of the band. Nels still has his own projects, and I think they will probably give him enough of a chance to exercise the interests he has that don't fit into Wilco. Then again, it's never safe to bet on anyone's longterm prospects in the revolving door that has been Wilco's lineup (which makes John's tenure all the more impressive).

As for O'Rourke, I thought that he had decided to withdraw from music to some degree. I realize that this doesn't preclude future collaborations with Wilco, but it seems a little unlikely. As much as I appreciate Jim's contributions to Wilco, I get the feeling that his musical relationship with Jeff may have run its course -- I don't see Jeff attempting to revisit or revive past phases of Wilco's sound. Didn't O'Rourke take a shot at mixing Sky Blue Sky that the band rejected? Also, I don't know that Nels leaving the band would be a prerequisite to O'Rourke's further involvement.

I'd actually be more interested in hearing Nels contribute to any future Loose Fur projects should they ever take place.

I think Tweedy still sees O'Rourke as a part of Wilco. For example, while his mix was dropped in favor Jim Scott's mix, I believed he did write the violin parts in "Either Way," and "On and On and On" and he is listed as playing on some of the tracks on their latest release (however, some of his parts are rather small).

Moreover, I remember reading in Pitchfork in an interview with Tweedy that:

"Pitchfork: To what degree is Jim O'Rourke still involved with the band?

Jeff Tweedy: Well, I think as much as he ever has been. The contributions to this record aren't as much as the last two but I still feel like Jim's probably my best friend in the world and musical hero and just someone I feel really close to in terms of musical collaboration. He lives in Tokyo. We got together for some work on this record and we didn't have as much time to work on the whole project as we have in the past. I guess this relationship is pretty much the same it's just not the same output.

Pitchfork: So he's kind of a consultant, maybe?

Jeff Tweedy: I'm most comfortable with called him my friend, you know? He's a friend with Glenn [Kotche]-- obviously we have Loose Fur together. He's a good friend to everybody in the band. He's a very loyal friend and supporter and on top of all of that he's a bona fide musical genius, so he's a good guy to hang out with if you want to learn stuff about music."

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feat...interview-wilco

I imagine some of why they didn't leave O'Rourke mixing is because even this his mixing his genius, it's weird. Just listen to how he mixes drums in the EQ on YHF...two good examples are HMD and PKB, they're both straight foward sounding drum beats but they're still mixed odd. Not the kind of mixing I think you want on a clear, mellow, easygoing record, I guess.

I think Tweedy still sees O'Rourke as a part of Wilco. For example, while his mix was dropped in favor Jim Scott's mix, I believed he did write the violin parts in "Either Way," and "On and On and On" and he is listed as playing on some of the tracks on their latest release (however, some of his parts are rather small).

Moreover, I remember reading in Pitchfork in an interview with Tweedy that:

"Pitchfork: To what degree is Jim O'Rourke still involved with the band?

Jeff Tweedy: Well, I think as much as he ever has been. The contributions to this record aren't as much as the last two but I still feel like Jim's probably my best friend in the world and musical hero and just someone I feel really close to in terms of musical collaboration. He lives in Tokyo. We got together for some work on this record and we didn't have as much time to work on the whole project as we have in the past. I guess this relationship is pretty much the same it's just not the same output.

Pitchfork: So he's kind of a consultant, maybe?

Jeff Tweedy: I'm most comfortable with called him my friend, you know? He's a friend with Glenn [Kotche]-- obviously we have Loose Fur together. He's a good friend to everybody in the band. He's a very loyal friend and supporter and on top of all of that he's a bona fide musical genius, so he's a good guy to hang out with if you want to learn stuff about music."

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feat...interview-wilco

Oddly enough, it's that very interview that gave me the impression that O'Rourke's having much of a future role in Wilco was unlikely. Jim was all over A Ghost is Born but barely contributed since. Jeff's characterization of O'Rourke as his "friend" and "supporter" suggested to me that his role was no longer that of a collaborator, even though Jeff felt very close to him as such. Jeff mentioned viewing him as a mentor. It seems that Jeff has always had someone around that serves as sort of a mentor/collaborator until that particular phase runs its course, and I think O'Rourke's phase has done just that. I'm glad to see, though, that the friendship remains strong, unlike with either of the Jays. Thus, same relationship, but not the same output.

I bet he'll make some sort of contribution to future records. I think with this group of songs and this lineup, his mixes probably didn't work that well, but he'll still be doing something at least to the degree that he did on SBS. (strings & such)

I think the upcoming release is a re-issue from some old stuff. It seems after doing sonic youth and wilco O'rourke decided he was burned out on being a musician. He is still making films in Tokyo I believe. I think in the interview Tweedy didn't want to speak too much for Jim, cause who knows what he's gonna want to do in the future. He could easily do nothing on the next record, or be multi-instrumentalist and mixer. The other reason for his big role as musician on AGIB is they didn't have Pat, or Nels and they were recording live. I think between Mikael and Pat they have a lot of spare hands to get things done.

yeah, I'd love for O'Rourke to have officially joined Wilco during the YHF era. He's only listed as playing "feedback" on You Are My Face...which I never hear, at first I thought it was the ending of the tune, but that just sounds like Jeff's Holy Grail reverb/volume pedal.

I hope he still has a little more magic up his sleeve.

yeah, I'd love for O'Rourke to have officially joined Wilco during the YHF era. He's only listed as playing "feedback" on You Are My Face...which I never hear, at first I thought it was the ending of the tune, but that just sounds like Jeff's Holy Grail reverb/volume pedal.

I hope he still has a little more magic up his sleeve.

I have heard it. It's at the very very end.

And to Lost Highway, from what I have read (which could be entirely wrong) Drag City is reissuing his old stuff, but O'Rourke is finishing up a new album.

I think the upcoming release is a re-issue from some old stuff.

according to the link jff posted its some reissues AND a new album. Since the new album is coming out on Drag City it should be a song based one. unless it goes through streamline it'd be noise based I'd imagine.

according to the link jff posted its some reissues AND a new album. Since the new album is coming out on Drag City it should be a song based one. unless it goes through streamline it'd be noise based I'd imagine.

I just listened to his Drag City run the other night. I really hope the new album is a continuation of that series, they're all great.