tinnitus for my first wilco show

Wow! I'm glad I read this thread - now I know what to call that ringing in my ears that I only hear at night ever since going to that Old 97's show about 4 years ago. The entire show was absurdly loud and in a tiny venue (The Viper Room) and to add to it, everyone around me was considerably shorter, so the sound wasn't being muffled by those around me but going unimpeded to my ear drums. I blame the Viper Room sound crew, not the band.

ouch! and shame on all those short people!

i didn't know what it was either, at first. i went to bed and heard loud peepers. puzzled, i got up and opened the window.

yup, peepers . . . only how can it be? it's winter, in maine! decided it must be some electrical wire out there gone crazy.

by morning, i knew it was me -- and only i was hearing them.

i hope you've got plugs for loud noise so you continue to hear the ringing only at night.

Actually, even though it's there 24/7, I never notice it or think about it during the day. I'm rarely in a totally quiet place when I'm not sleeping - I have 2 year old twins! :stunned

And yeah, those short people sure are rude. Actually, it was really weird because I'm not THAT tall (6'2") and there wasn't anyone much over 5'10" anywhere near me. I never stick (up) out of a crowd like that. I was feeling rather self-conscious about blocking people's view more than anything.

And yeah, those short people sure are rude. Actually, it was really weird because I'm not THAT tall (6'2") and there wasn't anyone much over 5'10" anywhere near me. I never stick (up) out of a crowd like that. I was feeling rather self-conscious about blocking people's view more than anything.

my husband is 6'3" and knows exactly how you feel. except for the twins part!

if i'd known this was going to happen, i'd have had kids myself.

Tangara,

No, I haven't tried the Etymotic plugs. Maybe when I'm ready for a new pair, I'll consider those. They are similar in style to the MusicSafe Pro plugs, in that they claim to attenuate frequencies evenly. The selling point for the MusicSafe Pro was having the choice of filters.

Kevin

The MusicSafe Pros look cool - and I like the idea of being able to switch filters. I've been using the Etymotics regularly (once or twice a week for about a year now) and I'm a big fan - I think they're slightly less expensive than the MusicSafes, too. Though the MusicSafes aren't that pricey either, and certainly a good investment.

I'll echo the others who have said be careful with your ears...it's important to protect your hearing at every show - even if you don't think it's that "loud".

The MusicSafe Pros look cool - and I like the idea of being able to switch filters. I've been using the Etymotics regularly (once or twice a week for about a year now) and I'm a big fan - I think they're slightly less expensive than the MusicSafes, too. Though the MusicSafes aren't that pricey either, and certainly a good investment.

I'll echo the others who have said be careful with your ears...it's important to protect your hearing at every show - even if you don't think it's that "loud".

i blame slobberbone and the drive by truckers as well as tasty world in athens for my tinnitus. i think i chipped a tooth that night also. anyways, i've been an etymotic user for 4-5 years now and they really do work. hell, i just stood in front of the PA at a jucifer show saturday and no extra ringing afterwards. in fact i haven't noticed any worsening of my ringing since i've routinely worn these for shows.

another plus is that if you're at a show with a noisy audience it will get rid of most of the background talking and let you concentrate on the show but you can still hear someone if they talk directly to you. i also really like their headphones, i've had the er4p phones for 3 or 4 years now and they sound great.

another plus is that if you're at a show with a noisy audience it will get rid of most of the background talking and let you concentrate on the show but you can still hear someone if they talk directly to you.

God, yes.

Earplugs: they're a beautiful thing.

• 1 month later...

The MusicSafe Pro's or the Etymotics, where can these be purchased? Would my local drug store have something similiar?

I think these are designed for swimming, but I've used them for years at shows:

200.jpg

I wish I had been using them when I saw Mudhoney and Eugenius in '91/'92-ish (the show I blame for a lot of my hearing issues).

Lynch, see below:

This particular webstore has loads of different types of earplugs. I highly recommend the ones above.

cheers,

Kevin

these ones kevin suggests are great. i ordered some last time he posted about them and i can highly recommend too.

thank you kevin!

I've had tinnitus for about 35 years now-- I blame it on an REO Speedwagon/Black Oak Arkansas show. (Hey, don't look at me like that. It was between REO T.W.O. and Ridin' the Storm Out, and before Jim Dandy to the Rescue, so the bands weren't yet commercial sell-outs. Besides, I was 16...)

I've used the Etymotics for years. I keep several pair on hand, including a pair in the glove box of the truck so if I forget to grab a pair off the dresser I've got another chance. I got my last batch off Ebay for a couple bucks a pair off the going price on the 'net.