tinnitus for my first wilco show

a little advice needed here. this rotten condition first hit me about a month ago -- and i caught it from wilco. i was walking with my around the ear headphones, listening to a cd i'd just burned of songs from a variety of shows. so the volume was a little different for each song. suddenly one song started at waaaay higher volume than the rest, so high that it hurt, and i ripped the headphones off in pain. i didn't want to miss the song, though, so i slapped them back on my ears and got through it. how stupid is that? don't tell me, i already know.

ever since then, i've had this tinnitus that sounds mostly like 5,000 crickets or peepers screeching at a pretty high pitch. a few days i barely hear it; then it's kind of medium, enough to be really annoying; then for a few days it's really loud and i can hear it over everything, including any music, the tv, the car engine on the highway, and i struggle not to let it drive me completely crazy.

at first i thought, oh no how can i go to the concert in new haven! then no, i AM going, canNOT miss this. i've bought some of those spongy ear plugs. i'm sure i should wear those, but will they block out too much sound? do others of you have this problem, and do the ear plugs protect you from a spike in the tinnitus and/or do they kind of wreck the immediacy of the music at the concert? i have winter ear muffs that muffle the sound just a little, i'm tempted to wear just those so i don't miss the immediacy too much. i'm also tempted to wear nothing (on my ears, that is!), and assume the live music will make the tinnitus worse for a little while and then go back to its usual pattern.

anyone who knows anything about this or has experienced it, i could really use your advice. thanks.

i've bought some of those spongy ear plugs. i'm sure i should wear those, but will they block out too much sound?

No experience with tinnitus, but I purchased several pairs of these a few years ago:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

I gave a pair to each of my kids and keep the rest in my car, suitcase, camera bag, etc. and they've probably saved me from ruining my hearing any more than that Van Halen concert did in 1979.

Definitely take the earplugs with you--it will be better to have them and not need them than to realize you need them and not have them. That's what I usually do, and I've been grateful for them the few times I've needed them. I have a feeling you might not need them, though. Considering they're playing mostly smaller venues on this tour, I don't think they're going to have the sound cranked to top volume. In fact, I've never been to a Wilco show I thought was too loud, but this will be my first time seeing them inside (the night before you do).

I would also suggest going to see a doctor. He or she can give you a better idea of what's best for your ears than we can. Of course you want to hear the show well--but you want to be able to hear shows well for years to come, too!

Definitley go see a doctor. This isn't a condition that will EVER go away. There are things you can do to lessen the annoyance of it, but if its done, its done. Go to a doctor and buy some decent headphones!

a little advice needed here. this rotten condition first hit me about a month ago -- and i caught it from wilco. i was walking with my around the ear headphones, listening to a cd i'd just burned of songs from a variety of shows. so the volume was a little different for each song. suddenly one song started at waaaay higher volume than the rest, so high that it hurt, and i ripped the headphones off in pain. i didn't want to miss the song, though, so i slapped them back on my ears and got through it. how stupid is that? don't tell me, i already know.

ever since then, i've had this tinnitus that sounds mostly like 5,000 crickets or peepers screeching at a pretty high pitch. a few days i barely hear it; then it's kind of medium, enough to be really annoying; then for a few days it's really loud and i can hear it over everything, including any music, the tv, the car engine on the highway, and i struggle not to let it drive me completely crazy.

at first i thought, oh no how can i go to the concert in new haven! then no, i AM going, canNOT miss this. i've bought some of those spongy ear plugs. i'm sure i should wear those, but will they block out too much sound? do others of you have this problem, and do the ear plugs protect you from a spike in the tinnitus and/or do they kind of wreck the immediacy of the music at the concert? i have winter ear muffs that muffle the sound just a little, i'm tempted to wear just those so i don't miss the immediacy too much. i'm also tempted to wear nothing (on my ears, that is!), and assume the live music will make the tinnitus worse for a little while and then go back to its usual pattern.

anyone who knows anything about this or has experienced it, i could really use your advice. thanks.

I had tinnitus for 2 years now. I go to alot of concerts. It is finally getting better almost 2 years to the date of the incident. I got it at a Prince concert. It was like 2am I was tired and he hit a awkward note. I have had buzzing in my ears that I could hear when it is quite in a room or late at night. I went to an ear docotor and he tested my hearing which he said is better than normal. Anyway I recommend getting some heroes. The onces connected with a cord are the ones that block out alot of the louder sounds which I like. Good luck and be careful. If you are concerned with the loud noise just stand towards the back where it is slightly muffled. :music

I've been a rock musician for ten years, so I may be doomed. But earplugs are pretty good defense. The orange foam ones make most things sound like utter garbage, cause they cut way more high frequencies then low, so guitar and vocals sound really muffled and bass and kick drum really present.

If you go to Walgreens they have these blue, soft rubber (I think) plugs that looks like a series of three ridges with a little pole at the end so you can pull them out/push them in. Not as good as the customized expensive plugs but for five bucks they sound way better then the standard foam bullets.

I have had tinnitus for YEARS! it sucks and doctors haven't been able to do anything for it except give me klonopin so it doesn't drive me completely crazy.

but yes, ear plugs are a must. if you happen to forget them, ball up some toilet paper and put that in your ears. sorry you have to deal with this.

I am a Tinnitus sufferer as well.

Although I clearly don't have as bad a case as some folks, it is an ever-present condition. I go to sleep at night, it's there. I wake up, it's there. To those uninitiated to this medical condition take heed: If you don't protect your ears, you will most certainly damage them if you frequent concerts, listen to ear phones, or any number of things. There's tinnitus, but there's also full-blown loss of hearing. I think my hearing is actually quite good, despite the incessant ringing.

You asked for advice... although certainly not the "Cadillac" as far as musician earplugs go (you can spend hundreds) these are the plugs I own and use:

musicsafe.jpg

available here: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/alnasoearpl.html

Without getting too technical, these babies essentially attenuate the volume levels evenly (think of it as turning the volume knob down) without significantly distorting the music, which is always a disadvantage to the foam rubber earplugs that you see. I've found these to be quite effective for my needs, and I go to a lot of concerts. I've even worn these during ACL Fest and found them comfortable enough to have in all day, and I could still hold conversations with friends and hear every single word.

I have long since gotten over any sort of stigma about wearing ear plugs at a rock show. If one person reads this and decides to take better care of their hearing, then all the better. As for me, I want to be able to hear in my old age. And although I already have tinnitus... I certainly don't want to exacerbate it.

cheers,

Kevin

there should be some sort of support group for tinnitus sufferers. sometimes I wonder if I'll ever experience total silence ever again. my anatomy teacher is an acupuncturist and tinnitus can also be related to bruxism (grinding your teeth) which I also have. I'm going for a treatment with her on Tuesday and hoping that some muscles in my jaws can be released and maybe help the tinnitus. I don't know...it's worth a shot!

there should be some sort of support group for tinnitus sufferers. sometimes I wonder if I'll ever experience total silence ever again. my anatomy teacher is an acupuncturist and tinnitus can also be related to bruxism (grinding your teeth) which I also have. I'm going for a treatment with her on Tuesday and hoping that some muscles in my jaws can be released and maybe help the tinnitus. I don't know...it's worth a shot!

Pookie,

Post back here post-treatment. I'm curious to know if this would help my tinnitus.

Cheers,

Kevin

If you've already got tinnitus, why bother with the earplugs?

I know, cynical and stupid. I've got tinnitus and a major hearing loss. I'm thirty-five years old and I've got two hearing-aids. In 2004 my wife finally convinced me to go to an audiologist and they found I have the same type of hearing loss as someone working in a steel factory. I'm a librarian! After going to an ENT he checked out my ears, looked at the family history and said I was just dealt a bad hand. I've got the hearing of an eighty-year old.

It was a bit depressing to listen to songs I knew for years and think, "what happened to that guitar part?" I couldn't hear it anymore.

I've got bad genetics on my side but I think a lot of younger people are accelerating their hearing loss with constant headphone, cellphone use as well as not taking precaution at concerts, in subway stations, etc.

It's like the old cliche, you don't appreciate something until it's gone. It's a loud world out there, take care.

If you've already got tinnitus, why bother with the earplugs?

I know, cynical and stupid. I've got tinnitus and a major hearing loss. I'm thirty-five years old and I've got two hearing-aids. In 2004 my wife finally convinced me to go to an audiologist and they found I have the same type of hearing loss as someone working in a steel factory. I'm a librarian! After going to an ENT he checked out my ears, looked at the family history and said I was just dealt a bad hand. I've got the hearing of an eighty-year old.

It was a bit depressing to listen to songs I knew for years and think, "what happened to that guitar part?" I couldn't hear it anymore.

I've got bad genetics on my side but I think a lot of younger people are accelerating their hearing loss with constant headphone, cellphone use as well as not taking precaution at concerts, in subway stations, etc.

It's like the old cliche, you don't appreciate something until it's gone. It's a loud world out there, take care.

Wearing earplugs will prevent further damage. I have mild Tinitus don't want it to be severe! :hmm

many thanks, everyone, and also my condolences. it's a nasty thing, one of those things you think will never happen to you. in one instant it can change, and you can lose both your silence and your hearing. you didn't have it, now you have it. poof, just like that. a friend of mine warned me about listening through my bose headphones at too high a volume, but i just brushed her off. i was hearing all kinds of nuances in the music that i hadn't heard before, and was enthralled. besides, i'd been listening to opera for years, how could jeff tweedy hurt me??? but i didn't have the headphones for the opera -- i got them when i discovered wilco. and i was stupid. i'm coping, after two months of this, but at first i was totally freaked out. no more silence, no more listening to music the way i want to listen to it. actually i'm using sort of cognitive techniques to adjust to this, because if i let myself get really upset about it, i'll be upset for the rest of my life, and i refuse to do that.

i appreciate all your thoughts on different kinds of earplugs. the sponge ones are good for everyday stuff, when i need the protection (and i don't always, so far), but i decided to get the ones recommended for musicians by bigshoulders kevin. someday i might afford custom ones, but in the meantime those look like the safest and sound-truest, and i like the choice in how much filtering of noise you want for any given situation. i've ordered them and will take them (plus sponge ones for backup) to the new haven concert. i'll report back on how i do with them -- if i can get that practical after the excitement of my first wilco concert!

be careful of your ears out there. have fun, but be careful. this stuff can drive you crazy if you let it.

Here's another product that is available out there:

http://www.herbslay.com/pd.asp?id=5547&ClearTinnitus

cleartinnitus.gif

It's some sort of herbal remedy. I haven't tried it yet, because I simply don't like taking a bunch of pills, and my condition isn't as bad to warrant the daily expense. I've read the bottle at Walgreens (drugstore) and decided not to start taking them, b/c once you start taking them, if you stop taking them, the tinnitus returns.

I think you'll find the Musician earplugs from my earlier post to be very comfortable. They pack up nicely, too, in a nifty case.

cheers,

Kevin

Kevin, have you tried the Etymotic earplugs? If so - how would you say those compare to the MusicSafePro plugs?

Tangara,

No, I haven't tried the Etymotic plugs. Maybe when I'm ready for a new pair, I'll consider those. They are similar in style to the MusicSafe Pro plugs, in that they claim to attenuate frequencies evenly. The selling point for the MusicSafe Pro was having the choice of filters.

Kevin

Wow! I'm glad I read this thread - now I know what to call that ringing in my ears that I only hear at night ever since going to that Old 97's show about 4 years ago. The entire show was absurdly loud and in a tiny venue (The Viper Room) and to add to it, everyone around me was considerably shorter, so the sound wasn't being muffled by those around me but going unimpeded to my ear drums. I blame the Viper Room sound crew, not the band.