Gary Louris Tour Dates...

Town Hall in NYC????A little large don't you think? Plus it is $35 in NYC!!!! I have seen the Jayhawks in Maxwells, Bowery Ballroom and Irving all for less money....I will still be there though :monkey

Sun 03/16/08 Seattle, WA Showbox At The Market

Mon 03/17/08 Vancouver, BC Richard's On Richards Cabaret

Tue 03/18/08 Portland, OR Wonder Ballroom

Thu 03/20/08 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore

Fri 03/21/08 Los Angeles, CA El Rey Theatre

Tue 03/25/08 Minneapolis, MN The State Theatre

Mekons / Gary Louris

Thu 03/27/08 Madison, WI Barrymore Theatre

Gary Louris

Sat 03/29/08 Pittsburgh, PA Mr. Small's Theatre

Sun 03/30/08 Toronto, ON The Mod Club Theatre

Tue 04/01/08 Somerville, MA Somerville Theatre

Wed 04/02/08 New York, NY Town Hall

Fri 04/04/08 Carrboro, NC Cat's Cradle

Sat 04/05/08 Atlanta, GA Variety Playhouse

He's playing the Vic here in Chicago, which frankly I think is a little large. Mark Olson played Schubas the last time he was in town, and is playing Martyrs tomorrow, both of which quite a bit smaller (around 200 capacity). And the Schubas crowd last summer was pretty sparse.

By way of comparison, Golden Smog played the Vic (with Tweedy) on that last tour and it was nowhere near sold out.

He's playing the Vic here in Chicago, which frankly I think is a little large. Mark Olson played Schubas the last time he was in town, and is playing Martyrs tomorrow, both of which quite a bit smaller (around 200 capacity). And the Schubas crowd last summer was pretty sparse.

By way of comparison, Golden Smog played the Vic (with Tweedy) on that last tour and it was nowhere near sold out.

Gary has a much bigger following than Mark. I don't think that is all that surprising. He would sell out Schubas in quick fashion.

Here are the complete dates for the tour. There might also be a short European leg mid/late May but no dates have been announced. There are links to the venues and latest info at: http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/tour.html

February

23 - MINNEAPOLIS, MN - in-store @ Electric Fetus - 6 - 7:30 pm

March

16 - SEATTLE, WA - Showbox

17 - VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA - Richard's on Richards

18 - PORTLAND, OR - Wonder Ballroom

20 - SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Fillmore

21 - LOS ANGELES, CA - El Rey Theatre

23 - DENVER, CO - Bluebird Theater

25 - MINNEAPOLIS, MN - State Theatre

27 - MADISON, WI - Barrymore Theatre (with the Mekons)

28 - CHICAGO, IL - Vic Theatre

29 - PITTSBURGH, PA - Mr. Small's

30 - TORONTO, ON, CANADA - The Mod Club

April

1 - SOMERVILLE, MA - Somerville Theater

2 - NEW YORK CITY, NY - Town Hall

3 - WASHINGTON DC - State Theater

4 - CHAPEL HILL, NC - Cat's Cradle

5 - ATLANTA, GA - Variety Playhouse

Gary has a much bigger following than Mark. I don't think that is all that surprising. He would sell out Schubas in quick fashion.

fwiw, the venue he's playing here in Minneapolis is bigger than the Jayhawks played since i moved here in 1999.

have a feeling it'll have a pretty empty balcony

fwiw, the venue he's playing here in Minneapolis is bigger than the Jayhawks played since i moved here in 1999.

have a feeling it'll have a pretty empty balcony

So you're saying it's possible to get a ticket at the door for this show.

Oh, no doubt. But there's no way he's going to come close to filling the Vic.

From the Minneapolis Star-Tribune (sorry no link):

Back in the early 1990s, when the Jayhawks backed revered songwriter Joe Henry on a pair of classic alt-country albums, Gary Louris was already contemplating a solo career that wouldn't come for another 15 years.

"I remember having a discussion with Joe at the time, who was a solo guy and I was a guy-in-a-band," Louris recalls. "It was a classic case of the grass is always greener."

"Joe was like, 'It must be nice being in a band, knowing who's playing with you, and having the camaraderie.' And I was like, 'Man, just to be free and not begotten to anyone would great. You can work with anyone you want.'"

Finally, Louris knows what it's like on both sides of the fence. The former Jayhawks frontman's first solo album, "Vagabonds," gets its national release Tuesday on Rykodisc.

Produced by Black Crowes singer Chris Robinson -- one of those people Louris always wanted to work with -- the disc is a shade grayer and noticeably mellower than his old band's blue melodic twang, but not so different that it needs to be filed in another section of the record store.

Talking last week at a coffee shop in Minneapolis' Bryn Mawr neighborhood, the 52-year-old singer/ guitarist already knows some of the disadvantages of being a solo artist.

"The record got pushed back a few months, so hiring the band I wanted has been a little more difficult than I thought," he admitted with a be-careful-what-you-wish-for laugh. The keyboardist he wanted for his tour was swiped by Robinson for the Black Crowes, the steel-guitar player was hired by k.d. lang, etc.

Nonetheless, Louris took advantage of having a clean slate when it came time to make the album last April. He opted to record in Los Angeles with an all-new group of musicians instead of his Minneapolis cronies.

"Without insulting the locals -- because I love them all and have played with many great people here -- I didn't want it to be Gary Louris & the Program," he said, referring to the group of musicians that his Golden Smog pal Kraig Johnson uses as backers. "I'll work with all those guys again, for sure. But in this case, I wanted to bring in some new people."

Some of the L.A.-based musicians on "Vagabonds" also worked with Louris on a record he made with the Jayhawks' other former singer, Mark Olson, who quit the band in 1995. That album -- also produced by Robinson -- was in the can before Louris' disc, but it's not coming out until summer or fall.

"A lot of those players came out of this jam session that I would go to out in Laurel Canyon on Wednesday nights, all night 'til 5 in the morning," he said. "They all knew each other and came in there with their own built-in chemistry."

Louris and Robinson also knew each other well. The Black Crowes were signed to Rick Rubin's American Recordings label about the same time as the Jayhawks, and the two bands toured together in the early '90s.

"[Mark and I] didn't need a producer to show us exactly how to make a record; we'd done it enough," he said. "We needed a producer to bounce ideas off of and help us put a band together. Chris and Jeff [Tweedy] are probably the two biggest fans I know, guys who listen to tons of records and know everything."

Robinson rounded up a few friends to sing backup on the album, including Rilo Kiley singer Jenny Lewis and her boyfriend, Johnathan Rice. Louris also brought in longtime friend Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles. The guests added high-reaching choirlike harmonies on a few tracks, including the bittersweet, Byrdsy gem "We'll Get By" and the gospel-tinged "To Die a Happy Man."

Mostly, though, "Vagabonds" is an intimate affair, played largely on acoustic guitar and piano with spring-jacket-light layers of organ and pedal-steel. The latter half of the album is especially somber and hushed, featuring the road-weary, piano-fueled title track and a lightly plucked gem called "D.C. Blues," stripped to just acoustic and pedal-steel guitars.

"Hand me down my walking cane/ Hand me down my shoes," he sings in "D.C. Blues," one of several tracks featuring some of his most vivid and poetic lyrics to date. "It's my game to win/ It's my game to lose."

Louris admitted he "worked harder on the words than I ever have before.

"I focused on the things I think I'm good at, which is singing and writing. Sometimes with the Jayhawks -- and this was totally my own fault -- you'd have trouble hearing me sing. I've never really made a quiet, intimate acoustic record. 'Rainy Day Music' was like that a bit, but not as much as this.

"Some people were like, 'This is your chance to be more experimental, or to rock out more.' I'll probably do that a bit, but later."

And anyway, Louris said he's not trying to get his solo career up to the level of notoriety and activity that the Jayhawks had. He has booked a few weeks of U.S. tour dates starting in March and a few more later in Europe, all with the San Francisco-based experimental folk band Vetiver as both his backers and openers.

Following the Jayhawks' final tour in 2004, he said, "I settled into just hanging out and being Dad pretty easily," referring to his son Henry, 8. He seemed more eager to promote his wife Julie's new French-themed boutique store, Duetta, in southwest Minneapolis than his album.

"I finally had the chance to tell her, 'You do your thing, and I'll carry the weight more at home,'" he said.

Louris hardly became just a homebody, though. He co-wrote four of the songs on the Dixie Chicks' Grammy-winning album "The Long Road Home." He also wrote with Dar Williams, Susan Tedeschi and Carrie Rodriguez, and he produced the Sadies' last album, just nominated for a Juno Award (Canada's Grammys).

The most significant project, though -- at least on a personal level -- was his two "From the Jayhawks" tours with Olson, featuring their first performances together in a decade.

"Mark and I were close friends for a long time, so the nicest thing is being friends again," he said. (The two reunited again Sunday at the 400 Bar, Olson's gig to promote his own solo album, "Salvation Blues.")

As for the record they made together, he said, "We're both very proud of it. The songwriting was always great between us. We fill in each other's blanks. I think we'll continue to do things together."

In fact, when the idea of future Jayhawks outings was floated, he said "it'd have to be with Mark Olson. That's the biggest regret I have, Mark leaving. I'm proud of what we did afterward, but it would've been interesting to see what else we would've done with Mark."

But no matter what, Louris expects to remain more a solo guy than a guy-in-a-band.

"I expect I'll always be all over the board from here on out," he said. "I admire Neil Young, who can go out solo, or with the band, or with CSN. He keeps himself interested, which is what you have to do."

Just a reminder to those so inclined....Gary's new cd "Vagabonds" comes out today! I think it's a thing of beauty and couldn't be more pleased, even if I am a little biased. :)

Totally agree...There is maybe one song on it that I can do without but the rest is very, very solid. I'm looking forward to seeing him next month. :dancing

Makes one wonder how old Jeff will be when his first solo record is released. And no, I don't count Chelsea Walls.

Also, looks like they wound up changing the Chicago venue to the Metro. Maybe they read this thread and figured the Vic to be too aggressive.
Maybe they finally figured that a reasonably full Metro was better than a half full Vic....

LouieB

Great album, sounds like a lost classic from the 1970's.

God the 70s were a great time.....I remember them well..... :lol

LouieB

:dancing

Also, looks like they wound up changing the Chicago venue to the Metro. Maybe they read this thread and figured the Vic to be too aggressive.

Vic capacity: 1300

Metro capacity: 1100

hardly a difference honestly.

the venue he's playing here in Mpls is 2100, and he will have a hard time filling the balcony and farther back seats... he'd have been better off selling out First Ave (1500)

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to this album.

Ouch, is all I can say. I am very, very unimpressed. Reminds me a lot of the way I felt about the most recent Golden Smog record (basically consisted of entirely Gary's stuff) and I haven't touched that one since the day I got it.

Just disappointed.

Reminds me a lot of the way I felt about the most recent Golden Smog record (basically consisted of entirely Gary's stuff)

are you referring to "Another Fine Day" or "Blood on the Slacks"? because this isn't true for either of them

are you referring to "Another Fine Day" or "Blood on the Slacks"? because this isn't true for either of them

haha... i know...

AFD was pretty mixed across the board, but Kraig Johnson had a big hand in that record overall.

Vagabonds has no similarities to AFD whatsoever

Maybe I'm forgetting the liner notes for AFD. I thought Gary had a hand in songwriting on all but maybe 4 tracks on the record.

And, for the record, I wasn't comparing AFD and Vagabonds sound-wise, but reaction-wise for myself. They both are almost entirely forgettable IMO.