I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

I saw it twice at Tampa Theatre. It's an old single screen movie house built back in the 1920's. There is an old Wurlitzer Organ that someone plays before every film which then drops below the stage. Wilco played live there back in 2002. GReat show, great sound. I have a sound board rcording of that show, spectactular.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it on opening day in DC at Visions Theater (now closed), and again a week later with some friends. A wilco-y friend of mine was out of the country when it opened, so we saw it at the Charles in Baltimore a few weeks later when she got back.

I watched it again recently on television and it was really weird -- when I saw it in 2002, I was quite taken with wilco, but it was still a fairly new obsession. Watching the same movie years later, after uncountable shows and a few aftershows and those little private shows was kind of jarring to my memory. In a good, strange, disorienting way.

Rosie and I saw it at the Music Box on opening night before she had ever seen the band. Sam was actually there to introduce the film and I bought a poster for Rosie and wanted him to sign it. Unfortunately he left before we had a chance, but we did mail it to him and he signed it for her.

Unfortunately Rosie doesn't like the way the poster looks anymore, I guess she thinks the photo is creepy, so it is sitting in the attic at the moment.

LouieB

not sure why anyone would care to see this more than once in the theater.

good documentary though. the story really makes the film. it has to be a great feeling for a documentary film maker when a story like that just naturally happens while you're shooting.

What a coincidence - I put the movie in last night and watched it, not realizing people were posting about it here yesterday.

I saw the movie once in the theater when it came out. My wife didn't really know anything about Wilco at the time, so I went to the movie solo.

Then I got the DVD and watched it with her once when it arrived. (She had gotten into Wilco by the time the DVD came out.) I hadn't watched it again until last night. Eerie.

Pretty sure I pre-ordered the DVD from Amazon, and I remember thinking it was pretty silly for people to go tracking down their UPS guy cause they needed to see it that night.

thats because you were probably not in the mindset of a group of 21 year old girls with a rock band obsession.

Bonus discs also very watchable with Magazine Called Sunset etc and very touching live peformnace in that empty hall of Pieholden Suite. Sweet indeed.

:thumbup

I haven't watched the movie in a few years, but I pull out the bonus disc every few months. Enjoy the music while I'm working, glance up and watch now and then. You gotta be in the right mood to deal with the drama of the time, Jeff throwing up, etc. in the movie, but the bonus disc is all goodness.

One of the first conversations my wife and I ever had when we first met was about going to see this movie in Winnipeg. It would have been our first date, but she ended having to work. I still have the little poster she gave me advertising it in the theater.

Very cool.

I watched it once and threw it in the ocean.

I really needed a good laugh today and that was it.

It didn't play in theaters here, but preordered from PlexiFilm, dug it, and still do. Made my dad watch it the other day because he still thinks they're just some local band that I do the occasional poster for.

I watched it again recently on television and it was really weird -- when I saw it in 2002, I was quite taken with wilco, but it was still a fairly new obsession. Watching the same movie years later, after uncountable shows and a few aftershows and those little private shows was kind of jarring to my memory. In a good, strange, disorienting way.

I have experienced that experience.

I watched IATTBYH again in 2006 at a record fair in Chicago while I was waiting for Sam and Paul. The movie was playing in a back room and I was the only one there. It was the day after the private show at the Hotel S&S. I remember feeling amazed at the unexpected course my life had taken between that first viewing and the present. So many adventures and friendships inspired by one band. ... And many more to come, I hope!

Weird timing. I just saw this movie for the first time tonight. My son bought it for me when it came out on DVD cause he was a Sam Jones fan and he knew I was a Wilco fan. Put it in the cabinet and forgot about it until tonight. Made me a little nostalgic for jay Bennett. Nothing lasts forever but they made some great music with him there to act as an catalyst. It also makes me glad I didn't become a rock star.

I saw it at the Music Box when it was playing on the smaller of the two screens, which actually fit the movie quite well. The theater was empty enough as it was that the large room would have been more than a bit strange. I do remember it was a beautiful fall day and it was either a weekend or I had taken the day off of work and saw it with my roommate at the time. We walked home from the theater pretty enthralled with the movie, it was really a great day.

I love how the movie ends with "Pure Imagination".

They were also opening shows with that playing over the PA around that time ... I remember they came out to that at the Riviera show in late summer/fall of '02. That whole period of time is burned in my head in a very positive light - I completely understand someone being nostalgic for that time :)

I too saw it at the Music Box for the premiere with Sam Jones' Q&A after the showing. It was strange that they showed the trailer during the previews. Sam Jones thought it was strange too.

I parked near the Riv and walked to the theater so I had an easy out after the show. Tweedy's Honda was parked outside the Riv and Spongebob was still hanging from the rear-view mirror that was shown in the movie. Wilco was also on stage for soundcheck (the side door was opened) so I stood and watched a couple songs.

I've been thinking about watching the DVD again...thanks for the reminder! :thumbup

i remember driving to somewhere in minnesota north of the cities to see it with my brother when it opened, because it wasn't scheduled to play anywhere in iowa. and then the next week it came out in one of the des moines theaters. so then i went to it again, but this time with a new friend (who is now one of my bestest friends). it was valentine's day, and it was actually the perfect start to a very, very (very) beautiful friendship.

i hadn't watched the film in years, but it was on tv for awhile in the wee hours of the morning four or five months ago, and i watched it while i fed the baby. it was much needed break from watching the world series of poker. :yes

I just talked to a guy who claims that all of the Wilco movie was staged and scripted in an attempt to hype the band and try and push them into wider audiences. When I asked if he thought the puking scene was real, he claimed that it wasn't. I tried to talk logic, but he swore to me that this was all common knowledge and that it was widely known to be staged. I have never heard of such nonsense. Anyone else here ever here of this?

Guest Muncle Douchey
I just talked to a guy who claims that all of the Wilco movie was staged and scripted in an attempt to hype the band and try and push them into wider audiences. When I asked if he thought the puking scene was real, he claimed that it wasn't. I tried to talk logic, but he swore to me that this was all common knowledge and that it was widely known to be staged. I have never heard of such nonsense. Anyone else here ever here of this?

no, that's absolutely absurd. that guy is just a fuckface.

What, you thought that was a real Sharpie they was using on Jeff's tummy*? Pfft, Greg, I didn't think you were so gullible. That shit was a laundry marker.

*prosthetic