• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking about the Omaha show. I'd be home by like 1:30 or 2:00. I might be too old to handle that.

OK, a serious question for someone who went to the 1st Ave show, and preferably someone who has seen them before.

I would consider myself a fan of the band, though I had never seen them live, so I was really looking forward to the show on Wed. I would appreciate from anyone at the show their honest opinion. I may be in the minority, but I can't think of a show (particularly at 1st Ave) that was as disappointing as this one. It seriously seemed as if they saw each other for the first time in, oh, 5 years or so. Is it to much to ask for a leader singer to remember the words to his own songs? Just too drunk? There were a few times when I couldn't tell if all four were playing the same song. The sound was bad IMO, and based on past experience I doubt it was 1st Ave's fault.

I've read a couple of posts on other boards using the adjectives like "fantastic" and "outstanding" ("as usual"), so maybe I'm missing something. Can anyone comment on how this show compares to other Old 97's shows.

OK, a serious question for someone who went to the 1st Ave show, and preferably someone who has seen them before.

I would consider myself a fan of the band, though I had never seen them live, so I was really looking forward to the show on Wed. I would appreciate from anyone at the show their honest opinion. I may be in the minority, but I can't think of a show (particularly at 1st Ave) that was as disappointing as this one. It seriously seemed as if they saw each other for the first time in, oh, 5 years or so. Is it to much to ask for a leader singer to remember the words to his own songs? Just too drunk? There were a few times when I couldn't tell if all four were playing the same song. The sound was bad IMO, and based on past experience I doubt it was 1st Ave's fault.

I've read a couple of posts on other boards using the adjectives like "fantastic" and "outstanding" ("as usual"), so maybe I'm missing something. Can anyone comment on how this show compares to other Old 97's shows.

2 posts on the Old 97's forum gave positive reviews. I wasn't there, maybe I'm glad I wasn't. I was really hoping to catch them this tour. Saw Rhett Miller about 1 1/2 years ago on a solo acoustic tour. That was a fantastic show, but I also thought this is a guy who needs a band behind him to fully appreciate.

Did anyone hit up the Chicago show last night?

What a sweaty mess. I arrived late and still lasted exactly one song :lol

TG did but she doesn't post here any more.......she had a very good time though and said it was a great show.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

We'll be seeing them tomorrow night in New Orleans. Excited about seeing the band again and hearing the new songs live. That interview was great.

i wish they were doing an in-store in nashville. :( thought about making it to ATL too, but it would cause me to miss 3 out of 4 class days... not happening. stupid stat class.

i am SUPER excited for this Wends. The Mercy Lounge is a fun place to see a show, especially a show by a band I haven't seen since 2005.

both openers were very good.

the spring standards are from NYC, and rhett actually co-produced their record. they were enjoyable. sleepercar was okay...they're from el paso (i think). i enjoyed their set considerabely less than the spring standards.

the 97's were tight, in fact, i think it's the best they've ever sounded. though, that could be because i'd not seen them in 3 years.

both openers were very good.

the spring standards are from NYC, and rhett actually co-produced their record. they were enjoyable. sleepercar was okay...they're from el paso (i think). i enjoyed their set considerabely less than the spring standards.

the 97's were tight, in fact, i think it's the best they've ever sounded. though, that could be because i'd not seen them in 3 years.

I don't think the Spring Standards are opening the Charlotte show. At least that name doesn't sound familiar. I'll check.

I haven't seen them in almost 4 years!

• 2 weeks later...

New Tour Dates--

September 3 We Portland, OR - Berbati's Pan (Music Fest NW)

Old 97's

September 8 Mo Baltimore, MD - Sonar Baltimore

Old 97's (Rock Obama fundraiser)

September 17 We San Antonio, TX - Sam

I am so freakin' pumped. Oct. 14 in Des Moines!!!

Sorry to write back so soon, but we wanted to give everyone a consolidated update on all the new Old 97's, Rhett Miller, and Murry Hammond shows recently posted. Here's the full rundown:

Old 97's

8/15 Fr Annapolis MD - Watermark Music Cruise

8/30 Sa Groveland, CA - Strawberry Music Festival

8/31 Su Seattle, WA - Tractor Tavern

- Satellite Riders (Old 97's tribute band)

9/1 Mo Seattle, WA - Bumbershoot Festival

9/2 Tu Eugene, OR - WoW Hall

9/3 We Portland, OR - Berbati's Pan (Music Fest NW)

9/8 Mo Baltimore, MD - Sonar Baltimore

- (Rock Obama fundraiser)

9/27 Sa Austin, TX - Austin City Limits Fest

10/1 We Athens, GA - Georgia Theatre

10/2 Th Knoxville, TN - Bijou Theatre

10/3 Fr Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle

10/4 Sa Lancaster, PA - Chameleon Club

10/5 Su Boston, MA - Wilbur Theatre

10/6 Mo Burlington, VT - Higher Ground

10/8 We Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom

10/9 Th Pittburgh, PA - Diesel

10/10 Fr Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom