• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This seems like as good as a place as any to drop this.    NEW SPOON!

Surprisingly rock with attitude sound on this new single. They seem to meander from solidly good to amazing, so I'm always down for more.

I am hipper and "indier" than you

Just kidding maur... ;)

Welcome to the boards.

Guest Muncle Douchey
Gimme Fiction was the album that got me into Spoon (still my fave). Then I quickly worked my way backwards. All of them are superb.

exactly how i feel.

My personal ranking of Spoon albums, not that anyone cares:

1. A Series of Sneaks

2. Girls Can Tell

3. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

4. Kill the Moonlight

5. Telephono

6. Gimme Fiction

There are also two EPs that are both very good: Soft Effects, which would make # 3 if included in the list above, and Love Ways, which would rank just above Kill the Moonlight. I've never managed to get hold of a copy of the Nefarious EP, sadly.

As you can tell, I just never cared for Gimme Fiction ... to me it seems like the one serious misstep in an otherwise stellar catalog.

Love, Love, Love me some Spoon. Always have.

Last year when I was visiting the great Chicago, I finally got a hold of A Series Of Sneaks....and love it. It's so Chicago.

Love Gimme Fiction (this one took me a while to really love, but now I think it just might be they're best)

LOVE GA GA GA GA GA (this is a classic)

Love Kill The Moonlight (got this while in college, and it started my Spoon addiction)

I still haven't got Girls Can Tell, but it's next on my purchase list. I've hear it's really great.

Why Spoon aren't a huge fucking band, the world may never know...but at least they're big in my rotation. And I love when I ask someone if they like Spoon, and love the look I get..."what the fuck are you talking about??"......oh well, your loss bitches!

-seth

As you can tell, I just never cared for Gimme Fiction ... to me it seems like the one serious misstep in an otherwise stellar catalog.

That's funny, because Spoon had always been a band I admired and respected from a distance without fully embracing...until I got Gimme Fiction. Now I've gone back and rediscovered those albums that I could never quite get into as much as I felt like I should have been able to.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I would rank them all, but I will probably always hold Gimme Fictionin high esteem.

Last year when I was visiting the great Chicago, I finally got a hold of A Series Of Sneaks....and love it. It's so Chicago.

You know they're from Austin, right?

Wow. That's kind of shocking. Is it like nails on the chalkboard?

You don't like 'The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine'?

Just curious.

Wow. That's kind of shocking. Is it like nails on the chalkboard?

You don't like 'The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine'?

That's probably the one song on the record I do like. Maybe "I Summon You" too.

To me the album just meanders, never really gets up a full head of steam, repeats itself too much, and suffers from failed stylistic and sonic experimentation and Britt Daniel's weakest songwriting since Telephono. I got the impression that Daniel had an idea of what direction he wanted to go, but hadn't quite figured out how to go there yet. Then, on Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, he figured it out.

I also thought that Daniel played away from his strengths too much. The album is so piano-centric that you almost forget that there's a guitarist in the band, which is too bad, because he can really tear it up when he wants to. Seriously, I regard A Series of Sneaks as one of the best guitar albums of all time. It's not that I wanted Spoon to make another Sneaks, because Girls Can Tell proved how the band's sound could progress and still be amazing ... I just got the feeling that they released an album because they decided it was time to release an album, without really being ready to do so.

That's probably the one song on the record I do like. Maybe "I Summon You" too.

To me the album just meanders, never really gets up a full head of steam, repeats itself too much, and suffers from failed stylistic and sonic experimentation and Britt Daniel's weakest songwriting since Telephono. I got the impression that Daniel had an idea of what direction he wanted to go, but hadn't quite figured out how to go there yet. Then, on Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, he figured it out.

I also thought that Daniel played away from his strengths too much. The album is so piano-centric that you almost forget that there's a guitarist in the band, which is too bad, because he can really tear it up when he wants to. Seriously, I regard A Series of Sneaks as one of the best guitar albums of all time. It's not that I wanted Spoon to make another Sneaks, because Girls Can Tell proved how the band's sound could progress and still be amazing ... I just got the feeling that they released an album because they decided it was time to release an album, without really being ready to do so.

I firmly believe that Britt Daniel's weakest writing occurs in Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. There's so much repetition that Daniel's words discards all meaning as well as beauty in form.

I just could not get over the annoying "don't make me a target" or "ooh rhythm and soul".

Britt Daniel can write much better than that.

I firmly believe that Britt Daniel's weakest writing occurs in Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. There's so much repetition that Daniel's words discards all meaning as well as beauty in form.

I can see where you get that ... it's certainly not his best lyrical effort. I do like the album, though, because it recaptures some of the instrumental muscle that Spoon had before Gimme Fiction and Kill the Moonlight.

yeah, I know they are a texas band, but I guess what I mean't was, I purchased Sneaks in Chicago, and listen to it and GA while I was there....therefore in my mind Sneaks sounds very Chicagoy to me..... I'm weird...just go with me.....

-seth

oh yeah, and don't mess with texas.........fuckin' bush

yeah, I know they are a texas band, but I guess what I mean't was, I purchased Sneaks in Chicago, and listen to it and GA while I was there....therefore in my mind Sneaks sounds very Chicagoy to me..... I'm weird...just go with me.....

:lol I hear what you're saying. There are lots of albums and songs that seem tied to a particular place (and time) for me, probably because that's where I first heard them, or that's where I first really paid attention to them.