I think Spoon has been America's most consistent rock band of the last several years.

Gimme Fiction is probably still tops on my list. It's haunting, minimalist, whiskey-voiced punk-soul. I could listen to the bass line from "My Mathematical Mind", the chord progressions from "The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine", the falsetto accents in "I Summon You", and countless other little details from that disc all day. I also don't think anyone has ever transformed A major and C major into a song as effortlessly cool and cocky as "I Turn My Camera On".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This seems like as good as a place as any to drop this.    NEW SPOON!

Surprisingly rock with attitude sound on this new single. They seem to meander from solidly good to amazing, so I'm always down for more.

• 1 month later...

paging Uyen!

Fillmore Resdiency in Sept

San Francisco, CA Residency

Spoon will be performing three consecutive nights at the beautiful Fillmore Theatre in San Francisco in September. Pre-sale tickets for these shows will be available starting Friday (5/2) at 10 am PDT via spoontheband.tickets.musictoday.com. Tickets for the public at large will go on sale 5/11 at 10am PDT via Ticketmaster.

Can I admit that I fucking hate Spoon fans these days? Or, more likely, my appreciation for the band can't overcome my tolerance for the people who come to their shows?

That being said, the Britt solo gig this weekend looks pretty good...

• 1 year later...

Just announced via their e-mail list: Spoon to play a New Year's Eve gig in Milwaukee at the Riverside Theatre.

Public on-sale 10/23, but Spoon list members will get a pre-sale on the 19th (no further details on that yet, from what I can tell, except that pre-sale tickets will be surcharge-free).

Opener is Jay Reatard.

Wish I could go, but Milwaukee's further than I want to drive for a show in wintertime.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Reviving a 7 year old thread to see if anybody has listened to Hot Thoughts which was released yesterday. I took a couple spins through it today and think it's pretty great. I haven't spent a lot of time with their music since I gave They Want My Soul a shot back in 2014 and didn't think it held up to their earlier amazing work.

Reviving a 7 year old thread to see if anybody has listened to Hot Thoughts which was released yesterday. I took a couple spins through it today and think it's pretty great. I haven't spent a lot of time with their music since I gave They Want My Soul a shot back in 2014 and didn't think it held up to their earlier amazing work.

I've listened to it a couple of times and think it's solid (as is every album they make). I actually feel that the title song is the weakest track. I do miss the heavy guitars that are less prominent in this release, but for a band to be as consistently good as they are while at the same time evolving over time is pretty incredible. 

First listen is pretty good, but not great. A few of these tracks should be absolute bangers live. I like that they're experimenting and evolving while still sounding like Spoon. Will be hard to ever top Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga in my mind though.

First listen is pretty good, but not great. A few of these tracks should be absolute bangers live. I like that they're experimenting and evolving while still sounding like Spoon. Will be hard to ever top Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga in my mind though.

That one's my favorite as well.