Brandi Carlile appreciation thread

I can't stop listening to both of her albums. My fiance recently made me a mix with two of her songs on it, and I was hooked. She's like Lucinda only less gritty and like Jackson Browne except female and less cheesy. From her name, you might think that she's some kind of pop star, but no, she's totally original

Huh. I'm really, really sick of that "Turpentine" song (and never liked it much in the first place), but that's the only thing of hers I've heard. I just read up on her on All Music Guide, though, and maybe I'll give her stuff a listen.

If you like her studio albums, you should really see her live. She is much more passionate live and really projects her wonderful voice. She covers Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and it may be the best version yet. I first saw her in her first concert after being signed. She blew my wife and I away. We had never heard any songs, but it didn't matter. We bought her CD and were fans from the beginning. Her twin brother backing band do a phenominal job with harmonies. The second time we saw her she was solo opening for Ray Lamontagne. Overall that show was unreal - both Brandi and Ray have such beautiful unique voices.

• 2 months later...

Just saw her live recently and was very pleasantly surprised I have to say. :yes Her live show basically blew me away! (Thus the need to resurrect this thread. :lol) Loved hearing her cover of Folsom Prison Blues and Hallelujah. :wub What a voice! Just got her album this morning. Hubby didn't get to see her live, but seems to like what he's heard this morning.

owl, thanks for the links! :wave Look forward to having a listen soon. :)

Three months later, and I'm still listening to her pretty much daily. Thanks for resurrecting my thread.

For a second, I thought Hey, I started a thread like that a few months ago!

I am also a big fan. She has an amazing voice.

I first heard her on XM at the end of last year. That voice just really reached out and grabbed me. It is very unique and powerful. When I looked her up and saw that T-Bone Burnett produced her last album(The Story) it was a must buy(I really admire is production work). Definitely did not dissapoint. A very solid ALBUM with many great songs top to bottom.

• 2 months later...

I used to go watch Brandi play at this little bar and grill called The Paragon, in Seattle, every Sunday. We'd just nurse a beer and watch her play for 2 and a 1/2 hours....covers galore....requests from the audience and, in addition to the songs from her first two albums, many more originals that have yet to see the light of day on her official releases. When I compare that image in my head (young woman playing for dinner in a small restaurant) to the image of the new nationwide GM commercial she's lent her song to, I have a hard time squaring up the two. Crazy.

That being said, on Friday night she played a "secret" small venue show in Seattle and it was great. Sang a duet with her mom and one with her sister...just a really fun, relaxed, hootenany vibe.

hardy har har. so f'in clever.

i bet you make bryan/ryan adams jokes too.

i don't get it. Maybe I should re-read this thread.

EDIT: Ok, I was wondering why people would be talking about her. It's early. I guess I owe it to her to check out her myspace now.