• Stones
    • Beatles
    • Zeppelin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starts out nice -

I was using that as an example of a Stones song that was not about sex/drugs/rock and roll.

I know, I got that. It does end up pretty horrendous. How is that even on the same record as, say - Jigsaw Puzzle?

I was not nearly alive at the time, but I have always been a huge "The Who" fan. They are in my top 5 bands

Both bands have lost a lot of their luster, what with the Stone's mega tours and every Who song ever being used in 10 different commercials, but still.

And the second poll wasn't very difficult

I know, I got that. It does end up pretty horrendous. How is that even on the same record as, say - Jigsaw Puzzle?

I don't like that song much - I like No Expectations the best - besides the ones you've heard a million times.

"Sympathy for the Devil"

There's not a song on that record that I dislike.

Completely agree. Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet and Exile are three albums that I never tire of. Of all the late 60's, early 70's stuff that I used to listen to, very few get played anymore.

It's interesting that apart from Led Zeppelin, all those bands had Nicky Hopkins playing on their music (I just thought about that when I read Analogman's Beggar's song list), during the period. (Although to be fair, with the beatles he used to put down the piano as a guide and then they'd record it themselves over him - although, again, saying that it is rumoured he played the actual piano on hey jude).

By the way... off subject, but who made it blasfomous to say that Exile has plenty of filler on it? I prefer basically any other album from this period to Exile. It would have been an amazing 8-10 song album, but as it stands, I can't make it through the whole thing on a single listen.

I used to feel the same way about Exile. It takes a long time to digest and to call it a hodgepodge album is an understatement. If I was to put together a Stones compilation, Exile wouldn't get a ton of representation. But taken as a whole, it's a pretty fucking amazing record.

It's interesting that apart from Led Zeppelin, all those bands had Nicky Hopkins playing on their music (I just thought about that when I read Analogman's Beggar's song list), during the period. (Although to be fair, with the beatles he used to put down the piano as a guide and then they'd record it themselves over him - although, again, saying that it is rumoured he played the actual piano on hey jude).

Also - The Jeff Beck Group, The Jefferson Airplane, and Quicksilver Messenger Service. He was a strange agent - so I have read.

Also - The Jeff Beck Group, The Jefferson Airplane, and Quicksilver Messenger Service. He was a strange agent - so I have read.

He was in the Garcia Band for a short spell, too. I've got a show with him and JGB on New Years.

He was in the Garcia Band for a short spell, too. I've got a show with him and JGB on New Years.

That's right. Probably several other bands - he was the Benmont Tench of his day.

I think I like Let It Bleed a bit more than Beggar's Banquet - although, I recall reading somewhere that several of the songs on Beggar's Banquet through Exile on Main Street were recorded/demoed at the same time.

The Who were probably a little more innovative musically, but for a wide variety of kickass R & R, the Stones kicked their asses, especially in the period noted. Take all the stone cold classic Stones tunes from that period and line them up with the best off the Who albums, and the Stones list is much, much longer.

Much as I love the Who ... it's the Stones by a mile.

I'm surprised by the panning of "Salt of the Earth" by some. Great song, imo.

I agree. Great jam at the end.

I recently dusted off (or re-booted) "Goats Head Soup" and I think its a very good record. "100 Years Ago", "Cold, Cold Winter" and "Heartbreaker" are all first rate songs, plus "Angie" and "Silver Train"...not one of the greates of all time, but an underrated Stones record.