I've been on a really big TL kick recently and... just DAMN!

All I have are a couple of compilations, so I'd like to know what y'all think are the best of their proper albums.

Because all the best stuff seems to span their entire career... I can't make a decision.

So good. And they deserve more love from the music snob population. The man could write a song!

Thin Lizzy (1971)

Shades of a Blue Orphanage (1972)

Vagabonds of the Western World (1973)

Nightlife (1974)

Fighting (1975)

Jailbreak (1976) (their best known album in this country, of course)

Johnny the Fox (1976)

Bad Reputation (1977)

Live and Dangerous (1978)

Black Rose: A Rock Legend (1979)

Chinatown (1980)

Renegade (1981)

Thunder and Lightning (1983)

Life (1983)

I never really gave them much thought until I heard Jon Brion cover Boys Are Back in Town on a KCRW show, there's something so incredibly refreshing about the conversational nature lyrics of that song. It inspired me to check out some of their records, and I really enjoy them. Jailbreak is certainly worth grabbing, and I like Bad Reputation a lot as well.

--Mike

"Jailbreak" is a personal fave.

I've always loved the "Fighting" LP. "Spirit Slips Away" gets me every time.

Somehow if I never hear that again it will be okay...(I don't dislike it, just heard it a thousand times..)

LouieB

I agree, it is a fine song and all but damn, if it hasn't been played so often that off planet species are sick of it.

I agree, it is a fine song and all but damn, if it hasn't been played so often that off planet species are sick of it.
Yea, the aliens are sticking their fingers in their auditory appendages from the constant repetion on the classic rock stations.....that and Lola....

LouieB

Funny timing this thread. I woke up this morning with "Rosalie" off of "Fighting" in my head. i've probably listened to it 4 or 5 times today. "She's got the power / I've got the power." Sweet, sweet tune.

Does anyone else hear "Impossible Germany" being influenced by Thin Lizzy? Listen to the guitar work on "the Wild One," for comparison.

Does anyone else hear "Impossible Germany" being influenced by Thin Lizzy?

Absolutely. Those guitar harmonies at the end, that Jeff n Pat play on the 2nd half of Nels' solo, sound very Thin Lizzy-esque to me

Funny timing this thread. I woke up this morning with "Rosalie" off of "Fighting" in my head. i've probably listened to it 4 or 5 times today. "She's got the power / I've got the power." Sweet, sweet tune.

...written by Bob Seger. :lol

Thin Lizzy totally nailed it though. :yes

Does anyone else hear "Impossible Germany" being influenced by Thin Lizzy? Listen to the guitar work on "the Wild One," for comparison.

For sure, lots of bands have been influenced by Lizzy's twin guitar attack. Listen to the guitars on the recent Hold Steady album. Gorham/Robertson influence all over it.

...written by Bob Seger. :lol

Thin Lizzy totally nailed it though. :yes

Holy crap I never noticed that Bob Seger wrote that. That sort of bums me out a little bit.

Seven guitarists in Lizzy before Phil's untimely demise (I think they might still tour in some shape or form, but for me that doesn't count).

Scott Gorham was an ever-present, Brian Robertson and Gary Moore are easy, but can you name the other four (I have a feeling Analogman can) and who, in your opinion, was the best? I think Scott was the best.