Favorite/Best Lo-Fi/Home-Recorded albums

It was recorded at a home studio in Denver, Colorado, I believe.

--Mike

Nebraska was on a 4 track cassette recorder.

My favorites include The Creek Drank The Cradle and early Elliott Smith recordings of course, as well as

Jason Molina - Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go

Songs: Ohia - The Ghost

The acoustic bonus tracks for My Aim Is True are classic. I've been under the impression they were recorded on a reel-to-reel machine in EC's bedroom.

Take off your shoes, hang up your wings

Stack up the chairs, roll up the rug

Savor the things that sobriety brings

Drain in the last from a jug

But when I hit the bottle, there's no tellin' what I'll do

'Cause something deep inside me wants to turn you black and blue

I can't resist you, I can't wait

To twist your loving arms 'til you capitulate

Beat me in the kitchen, and I'll beat you in the hall

There's nothing I love better than a free for all

To take your pretty neck and see which way it bends

But when it is all over we will still be friends

Wave a white flag, put away the pistol

Too many people just can't get kissed

But if there's nothin' I can do to make amends, baby

Hope you don't murder me

Oh, was it all right, or was it okay

I'll make it all up to you someday

Oh, but you didn't have to laugh that way

Oh, no, you didn't have to laugh that way

Wave a white flag, put away the pistol

Too many people just can't get kissed

But if there's nothin' I can do to make amends, baby

Hope you don't murder me

Gee, baby, hope you don't murder me

i thought Pink Moon was recorded in a studio - seems i've read a story about those sessions somewhere.

i think even the second Shins record was mostly recorded at home, just mainly the drums were recorded elsewhere.

Of Montreal's last few records have mostly been Kevin Barnes by himself at home.

come on, kids

Bee Thousand

Guided By Fucking Voices

I listed Alien Lanes instead. I just like it better.

anything by Capstan Shafts (that guy is a bona-fide genius)

great job, Doug ...

not crazy about the last record, but the previous 50 or so were amazing ... euridice proudhon is spectacular ... dean wells is his name & he records everything in his kitchen in some little town in vermont

absolutely brilliant stuff

and much of it is available via free download

i thought Pink Moon was recorded in a studio - seems i've read a story about those sessions somewhere.

me too. Wikipedia has this:

Although Island neither expected nor wanted a third album, Drake approached Wood in October 1971 to begin work on what would be his final release. The sessions took place over two nights, with only Drake and his engineer present in the studio. The bleak songs of Pink Moon are short, and the eleven-track album lasts only 28 minutes, a length described by Wood as "just about right. You really wouldn't want it to be any longer." Drake had expressed dissatisfaction with the sound of Bryter Layter, and believed that the string, brass and saxophone arrangements had resulted in a sound that was "too full, too elaborate". Drake appears unaccompanied on Pink Moon, save for a single piano overdub on the title track. "He was very determined to make this very stark, bare record", Wood later recalled. "He definitely wanted it to be him more than anything. And I think, in some ways, Pink Moon is probably more like Nick is than the other two records."

i think even the second Shins record was mostly recorded at home, just mainly the drums were recorded elsewhere.

Good to know, thanks!

Guided By Voices- Bee Thousand

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Paul McCartney- McCartney/Ram

Elvis Costello- honky-tonk demos

Wincing may have a lot of home recording too, i didn't read up on it as much.

Spoon, at least the early records, were recorded by themselves. I actually came across my Tape Op with their interview around Girls Don't Tell time.

oh yeah....

Emitt Rhodes

aka

the one man Beatles

recorded his records by himself in his parents' garage.

Does anyone know where I can get some Emitt Rhodes albums? I looked on amazon and they are out of print (not on itunes as well).

this here cd contains two albums on it - one is his work as leader of merry-go-round (he wrote time will show the wiser in that band, which fairport convention covered - you may know it) and the other album is one of his solo albums called "the american dream" - check out the track listing if you don't believe me. anyway, there's a little tip for you in purchasing some emitt rhodes. the other one of his really worth hearing is his self-titled debut solo album, but that is expensive to find, i'll admit.

this here cd contains two albums on it - one is his work as leader of merry-go-round (he wrote time will show the wiser in that band, which fairport convention covered - you may know it) and the other album is one of his solo albums called "the american dream" - check out the track listing if you don't believe me. anyway, there's a little tip for you in purchasing some emitt rhodes. the other one of his really worth hearing is his self-titled debut solo album, but that is expensive to find, i'll admit.

if you have a record player you can find the vinyl fairly cheap on eBay.

i did about a year ago - got both his self-titled and the follow up, Mirror.

Mirror has some great tracks, too.

i haven't tried to buy his third and last album yet, but i need to.

anyone heard it?

his wiki entry has a link to a fairly recent interview and i don't know what to think really.

it's crazy to think that there is potentially 30 years of great pop music sitting in a garage somewhere.

How about:

Peter Laughner - Take the Guitar Player For a Ride

41VVRNE82CL._AA240_.jpg

Yeah, that's where Jeff got the line from in "Misunderstood".

if you have a record player you can find the vinyl fairly cheap on eBay.

i did about a year ago - got both his self-titled and the follow up, Mirror.

Mirror has some great tracks, too.

i haven't tried to buy his third and last album yet, but i need to.

anyone heard it?

his wiki entry has a link to a fairly recent interview and i don't know what to think really.

it's crazy to think that there is potentially 30 years of great pop music sitting in a garage somewhere.

i think he's actually got 4 solo albums (the third one is the "the american dream" album i was talking about and then "farewell to paradise" is fourth and final) - i've actually got "Daisy-Fresh From Hawthorne, California" which includes his first solo album and then the best of Mirror & Farewell on cd - but it's expensive to buy now, I think that's all I really need from him. His self-titled and The American Dream are actually my personal favourites anyway.

Did anyone mention Badly Drawn Boy's first album in this thread? I'm pretty sure that was home-made.