Obama's speech on race

Mike Huckabee Defends Jeremiah Wright

"As easy as it is for those of us who are white to look back and say 'That's a terrible statement!' ... I grew up in a very segregated South. And I think that you have to cut some slack -- and I'm gonna be probably the only conservative in America who's gonna say something like this' date=' but I'm just tellin' you -- we've gotta cut some slack to people who grew up being called names..."[/quote']
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double Standards are hard to accept from your side when you pilloried and ridiculed the other side for the same issue (i.e. views of nutty supporters)

Huckabee gets it.

"[Y]ou can't hold the candidate responsible for everything that people around him may say or do," Huckabee says. "It's interesting to me that there are some people on the left who are having to be very uncomfortable with what ... Wright said, when they all were all over a Jerry Falwell, or anyone on the right who said things that they found very awkward and uncomfortable, years ago. Many times those were statements lifted out of the context of a larger sermon. Sermons, after all, are rarely written word for word by pastors like Rev. Wright, who are delivering them extemporaneously, and caught up in the emotion of the moment. There are things that sometimes get said, that if you put them on paper and looked at them in print, you'd say 'Well, I didn't mean to say it quite like that.'"

indeed. great personality... maybe the best of any candidate

Don't start with that NOW.

I imagine you would have been ridiculing his views if he were in McCain's spot right now.

Sorry if I seem a bit combative or jaded, but I live my political life following this ethos:

Meet the new boss...Same as the old Boss

Don't start with that NOW.

I imagine you would have been ridiculing his views if he were in McCain's spot right now.

Sorry if I seem a bit combative or jaded, but I live my political life following this ethos:

Meet the new boss...Same as the old Boss

oh, Huckabee's views & policies are batshit crazy, not denying that! just he seems like a super cool/likeable dude otherwise.

oh, Huckabee's views & policies are batshit crazy, not denying that! just he seems like a super cool/likeable dude otherwise.

Plus...he plays the guitar.

Please elaborate...WHo has had their feet held to the fire like Obama has? McCain? Bush who...?

There have been plenty of times when Bush or other Republicans have been held accountable for things that crazy rightwing religious nuts like Falwell or Robertson have said. I just find the different standard for Obama to be interesting.

Plus...he plays the guitar.

And when he was governor, he pardoned Keith Richards.

There have been plenty of times when Bush or other Republicans have been held accountable for things that crazy rightwing religious nuts like Falwell or Robertson have said. I just find the different standard for Obama to be interesting.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but I agree completely with IKOL here and I don't think IKOL and I have the same political leanings at all. History has been made.

Surprise, I don't agree. Name a specific time and incident that Bush was put under fire for comments made by anyone? The nearest thign I can think of was the tepid press reaction to his utter lack of knowledge as to the nature of Bob Jones university way back in 2000, and that asted all of one day or so. If anything a comment by a Falwell, Dobson, Hagee, LaHaye etc...may have been mentioned in passing by the press, but Bush was never pressed to disavow them, not even by the Catholics that some of those guys hate. Quite the contrary the press continually played up the Bush contacts with these people and their easy access to the White House and policy making apparatus. Their association has almost always been portrayed as a positive for Bush regardless of what their beliefs might be.

It has been what? Two weeks of Obama coverage on this one issue? When did Bush ever feel the pressure to address in a speech comments made by supporters? I honestly don't recall anytime he has adressed an issue even remotely close to this personally. Did Bush even get held accountable for Jack Abrahamoff and even when pictures of Bush and the guy surface he brushed them off with nary a word of inquiry fromt he press. Is McCain being held accountable for the supporters he is cavorting with? (see Hagee and LaHaye) Nope, not at all. There are definatley different standards at work here and flippant comments with no support will not balance the playing field in the reality based world. Maybe in 30% fantasy land, but not here on earth.

Obama isn't president yet, so he can't blow off shit like this, like Bush can.

Here is somthing that they will not be held accoutnable for, O'Fallon, an opponant of a pre-emptive war with Iran was recently fired. Now here is an exchange that dirty dick had with a reporter...this exchange shoudl scare the crap out of any sane person yet he will say it and not get held acocuntable...

Raddatz: "Do you believe the National Intelligence Estimate, that says they shut down their nuclear program or intentions five years ago?"

Cheney: "I think it's been -- it's important if you're going to look at the National International Estimate that we be precise in terms of what it says. And what it says is that they have definitely had in the past a program to develop a nuclear warhead; that it would appear that they stopped that weaponization process in 2003. We don't know whether or not they've restarted. . . . "

Raddatz: "But do you have high confidence they halted their nuclear weapons program in 2003?"

Cheney: "I have high confidence they have an ongoing enrichment program."

Raddatz: "But not high confidence they halted it?"

Cheney: "The enrichment program? They've never halted enrichment --"

Raddatz: "The nuclear weapons program."

Cheney: "Well, just go back and look at the National Intelligence Estimate."

Raddatz: "It says high confidence they halted their nuclear weapons program in 2003."

Cheney: "And high confidence that they had a nuclear weapons program."

Raddatz: "Right. But I'm specifically asking if you have high confidence, yourself, when you read that intelligence that that in fact happened in 2003?"

Cheney: "I think it's important, again, to be precise, in terms of what we're talking about."

Raddatz: "I'm trying to be precise."

Why should that scare people? Was he wearing a scary mask while saying it?

Perhaps because he is and has been disavowing the intelligence community's point of view and remember this is the vice president and he is playing games with imflamatory rhetoric...never mind.

Could be interpreted as Cheney refusing to admit that another branch of his government has estimated that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program anymore.

Could be interpreted as Cheney refusing to admit that another branch of his government has estimated that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program anymore.

Dirty Dick has never admitted anything that he has not been in agreement with his pre-disposed notions of any subject. Witness the above interviiew and also his still adamit refusal to admit that Sadaam and AQ had no workign relationship, this even in the face of the recently released report from the army stating as much. When a guy has his finger on the trigger and thinks this way it should scare us all.

What trigger does Dick Cheney have his finger on?

I read in a book once that Cheney was for the invasion of Iraq. Some people think that Iran is next on our list, but I think we are fresh out of troops.

Of course he was for the invasion of Iraq. But what trigger does he have his finger on? My dad was for the invasion of Iraq, is he scary too?

I've never met your dad. Is he Dick Cheney?