jesus, what an incredible movie. the best music film i have ever seen. great background too: shot for only 160,000$, based on a true story, develops into a cult classic and wins an oscar.

see this movie if you are even the least bit interested in film.

>i searched and got no results; sorry if there is already a thread for this. because it indefinitely deserves one.

while i'm a longtime/huge Frames fan, for whatever reason I only found the film to be enjoyable and not great (just was a bit too slow and not very much story there for me), but i'm super ecstatic with how well the film did and their Oscar win. hopefully that translates to much better turnouts at Frames shows next US tour.

>i searched and got no results; sorry if there is already a thread for this. because it indefinitely deserves one.

There have been a couple of other threads. I'm linking because folks might be interested in the previous discussions:

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=28673&

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=29877&

It's a very sweet touching simple story. No special effects* no beautiful people with the soft focus sex scenes, no guy getting the girl at the end. Just a nice film.

* i Generally don't like special effects extravaganzas, but will probably be sucked into seeing the next indy jones film.

It's a very sweet touching simple story. No special effects* no beautiful people with the soft focus sex scenes, no guy getting the girl at the end. Just a nice film.

* i Generally don't like special effects extravaganzas, but will probably be sucked into seeing the next indy jones film.

My thoughts, exactly.

I loved Once for being miniature, for being disheveled, and for containing zero artifice. Although the story charts the quavering, uncertain connection between a street busker and a Czech immigrant in Dublin, its real subject is not romance but the transporting power of song itself. Close your eyes and you'll hear two people who together fall in love with the possibilities of music.

I loved Once for being miniature, for being disheveled, and for containing zero artifice. Although the story charts the quavering, uncertain connection between a street busker and a Czech immigrant in Dublin, its real subject is not romance but the transporting power of song itself. Close your eyes and you'll hear two people who together fall in love with the possibilities of music.

Yes, nicely put, Eric. A beautifully atmospheric little film, though I too kept waiting for more of a plot to develop.

I think I enjoyed it more on second viewing, because I knew that I didn't have to be bothered waiting for the plot to kick in. It just was what it was, and it was beautiful. :yes

My mom would like to see it, but I've been putting off watching it with her, because she's not a big fan of any ambiguity at the end of a story. She wants the people that are supposed to be together to end up together, and all loose ends to be tied up. Otherwise, what's the point?!? :ermm