How Jeff Tweedy Scared Me!

I was rereading Learning How To Die (#342 How Do You Know You Are Obsessed With Wilco) and was on the part about the crazy/dysfunctional Being There Tour where Jeff was "challenging" the fans on a nightly basis. BTW if you caught any shows on this tour it came off as stunningly compelling in my mind, not as negative as Greg Kot portrays it. Anyhoo, I recall the Bham show on 11/3/96 on this tour where Tweedy seemed angry/stoned who knows?, but it was borderline train wreck/the most exciting thing ever. To start off, during the opener Sunken Treasure and the noise distortion Tweedy trips over his monitor (i think on accident ) and falls into the crowd, really wierd cause your thinking he is so out of his mind right now. He had that look in his eye. Then later is when he scared me. During Kingpin and the "statue of liberty" line. He holds up his guitar over his head and sings "it only works once...... I SWEAR THE GUITAR WAS ABOUT TO FLY, I'm telling you he had that look in his eye. I know he probably did this every night, but that night, I thought he meant it.

And that is my favorite Wilco show ever. Goodnight young ones, sleep well, and dream of candyfloss.

Tweedy once snuck up behind me and blew a foghorn in my ear. i shat my pants.

true story.

-justin

LOL! I don't know why, but I found this hilarious. Thanks, I needed that. :lol

He also scared me during a Golden Smog show in Athens GA during the Down By the Old Mainstream tour while singing "She Don't Have To See You", in his lounge singer fashion he came up on me in the front row and grabbed the ball cap off my head. The scary part was I was trying to get out of a relationship (off at college still dating high school girlfriend) YIKES! at the time and had begun seeing a new gal and I took this as a sign that the all knowing one knew. :mellow :ohwell

He scared the shit of me when I woke up one Saturday morning and saw the VC post "Charleston rescheduled? August 7th says Ticketmaster...".. But the several hundred angry posts that followed were even scaryier..

Tweedy once snuck up behind me and blew a foghorn in my ear. i shat my pants.

true story.

-justin

What is the point of this?

Did you even read the OP?

I have a Tweedy scaring me story;

One time I was at a show, and I was really into it. Like, really into it, like, I had this moment wash over me, where I knew everything was right in the world and I just couldn't help myself.

So I jumped up the stage, and ran over to him for a hug, but wouldn't you know it, he just punched me in the face. That's some scary shit.

So I jumped up the stage, and ran over to him for a hug, but wouldn't you know it, he just punched me in the face. That's some scary shit.

You forgot the part about using a girl's wheelchair to gain access to the stage. :hmm

Tweedy took my camera at the Wichita show and acted like it was confiscated ... I nearly shat until I realized he was kidding. Then he took the infamous crowd pic and all was right with the world.

:stunned

So i'm obviously being dumb here..but what infamous crowd shot?