Wilco Only Mermaid Ave.

I'm going to do this, but I will admit there are some Billy Bragg songs that I don't mind off of these two records. "Way over Yonder in the Minor Key" always reminds me of my brother in law when he was 9 years old and he loved trying to sing real low like Billy. I also must admit that "My Flying Saucer" is a great Buddy Holly type thing that I always enjoyed. Overall though, I'm going for it, thanks for the ideas and support in my cause.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im on it

mediafire'n as we speak.

heres the tracklist...

1.another mans done gone

2.at my window sad and lonely

3.california stars

4.christ for president

5.hesitating beauty

6.hoodoo voodoo

7.one by one

8.airline to heaven

9.feed of man

10.secrets of the sea

11.remember the mountain bed

12.blood of the lamb

13.joe dimaggio done it again

14.someday some morning sometime

figure 10-15 minutes

Compilations are a gray area, but I'd err on the side of caution and not publicly provide commercial Wilco songs on a Wilco board. Sorry!

hold on though

i jumped on trying to help out folks who were looking or a said compilation

I don't think the original poster was looking for the tracks themselves. I think he was asking, if he was going to make a compilation for his own enjoyment, from tracks that he has already legally purchased, which tracks should go on it and how should they be sequenced.

Discussion of such a compilation is different than posting links to tracks which are available commercially. As was pointed out above, there is a VC policy against that.

Hey, WAH, why not tell anyone interested to PM you and you'll send them the link? If this is a bad idea, forgive me. I'm just trying to help. :thumbup

Hey ellsworth, why not try to be a bit more sly? :brow

:P

Ha ha! It sounded like that didn't it? But I honestly have no interest in the compilation! :mellow (I don't know what that icon means but I wanted to use one)

Whether you're a fan of BB or not, imo you can't exclude "The Unwelcome Guest". Great words - and when Jeff comes in with the high harmonies it just gives me chills.

I like the mix of Wilco and BB on the albums. I think, although he's an ass, they work together, at least in the context of being on the same album, very well.

The Unwelcome Guest is easily the most moving song on the album, and Jeff and Billy's voices sound great together. Another Man's Done Gone is the perfect lead in, also.

Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key is really great too. I think everyone should enjoy the album as it was released. The Bragg songs may not be as good as the Wilco ones, but they are still great songs.

A question for all of you who think Bragg is an ass: have you met him? What exposure have you had to him that makes you think he's an ass?

I've met and talked with Bragg on multiple occasions, and I've never met a warmer or more genuine person in the music industry. Not even Jeff, who can be a bit remote. Bragg is constantly lending his assistance to various causes through benefit shows and other means, is a major supporter of labor and other causes, and is fan-friendly to the point of printing on his album covers the maximum price that anyone should pay for them. Here's an example:

Life

See that text along the left and right edges? That's classic Bragg.

So, fine, you didn't like him in The Man in the Sand or some shit. That's your right. But you should really find out more about the man before you call him an ass. :no

Yeah, I agree with cryp. Bragg has always come off as a really genuine good guy to me, and "Waiting for the Great Leap Forward" is one of my favorite songs. I think his half of MA1 is really good, and he has some gems in MA2 as well.

--Mike

I agree with you, cryptique (I hope I spelled that correctly). I never had the pleasure of meting him but I have followed him for many years. I first saw him back in 1990 (if that was the date of the 20th anniversary of earth Day...). Me and a couple pals drove up to DC to catch the free show at the Mall. Billy Bragg, Stipe, 10,000 Maniacs, Indigo Girls... Damn, now I'm remembering some cool music that day. Stipe and Bragg did some tunes together as did Stipe and the Maniacs, some stipe and Indigo Girls. Mostly the collabs were cool covers. I seem to remember Buck coming out with Stipe, Bragg and Natalie Merchant and they did some R.E.M. tunes. God Damn!1 If anyone has a copy or can/ever finds one, I would be forever in your debt!1 But i seriously digress. edit The last time I saw him was on the Tell Us the Truth Tour with Steve Earle, Lester chambers, Boots Riley and Mike Mills. Now that was some amazing music!!

anyways, Bragg is definitely a genuine and sincere artist. No pretense or bullshit. Sorry for the stroll down memory lane - unless it produces a copy of the music from that day. Then we'll all be happy that the old man rambled.

A question for all of you who think Bragg is an ass: have you met him? What exposure have you had to him that makes you think he's an ass?

I've met and talked with Bragg on multiple occasions, and I've never met a warmer or more genuine person in the music industry. Not even Jeff, who can be a bit remote. Bragg is constantly lending his assistance to various causes through benefit shows and other means, is a major supporter of labor and other causes, and is fan-friendly to the point of printing on his album covers the maximum price that anyone should pay for them.

So, fine, you didn't like him in The Man in the Sand or some shit. That's your right. But you should really find out more about the man before you call him an ass. :no

Interesting. I admit I haven't bothered to investigate (because I can't stand his stuff) -- so my impressions are based solely on what little I've seen of him.

Not that this changes my overall opinion of him any. :fish

My minor interactions with Billy Bragg have led me to believe that he is a truly decent guy, and entirely sincere, but also that it must be really exhausting to be Billy Bragg.

My minor interactions with Billy Bragg have led me to believe that he is a truly decent guy, and entirely sincere, but also that it must be really exhausting to be Billy Bragg.

He's no Mike Farrell, that's for sure!