Wilco Only Mermaid Ave.

> I'll always have a soft spot for the first MM Ave album because that was how I discovered Wilco.

me too!

i dont mind the Bragg stuff at all. California stars was the first song i heard, but the next one that really grabbed me was Way over yonder in the minor key

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I admit I haven't bothered to investigate (because I can't stand his stuff) -- so my impressions are based solely on what little I've seen of him.

Not that this changes my overall opinion of him any. :fish

:lol D

oh, ok

so we're not allowed to burn our own CDs or make our own mixes?

that's one of your rules for people on this message board?

just trying to be clear

don't want to break one of your rules

Yes, that's one of the rules. Sorry.

I really can't fathom why anybody would even think to do this sort of thing. Bragg's contributions are more honest than Wilco's, and there are just as many brilliant interpretations by Billy as there are by Jeff & co. Stetson Kennedy, Way Over Yonder, Walt Whitman's Niece, My Flying Saucer... these are stellar, stellar songs.

Another pro-Bragg voice here. I wouldn't be without his MA contributions, they're mostly excellent and many of them feature Wilco to boot. Actually, of nearly all the ones Wilco did on MA1-2, I have live versions that I enjoy a lot more -- so I probably enjoy the studio Bragg ones more than the studio Wilco ones now. :P

oh, ok

so we're not allowed to burn our own CDs or make our own mixes?

that's one of your rules for people on this message board?

just trying to be clear

don't want to break one of your rules

Yeah. Sorry, no exceptions. Wish I could play ball with you on this, but I can't. My hands are tied.

A question for all of you who think Bragg is an ass: have you met him? What exposure have you had to him that makes you think he's an ass?

I've met and talked with Bragg on multiple occasions, and I've never met a warmer or more genuine person in the music industry.

I met him once myself and had a ball, hanging out backstage with him and Grant Showbiz. He really isn't an ass, I just think MITS paints him in a weird light. He loves his fans and is very generous with his time from what I have seen and he has been on the right side of many many causes over the years as well.

Dumping his songs from the mix is okay in some respects, but his material is also very strong and worth listening to.

LouieB

I met him once myself and had a ball, hanging out backstage with him and Grant Showbiz. He really isn't an ass, I just think MITS paints him in a weird light.

That's an interesting take. I've watched MITS a couple of times recently, what I thought is that Jeff definitely 'stole' the scenes he was in. I'm not sure it made Billy look like an idiot, but Tweedy did come across as a more interesting figure. Maybe the filmmaker was infatuated, or maybe the camera just loves Jeff Tweedy?

Just to clarify from my original post, it is not that Billy Bragg the person wears on me, it is more the sonic aspect of things. See I have always LOVED Tweedy's voice, from day one, even when it wasn't fined tuned, esp on AM and Mermaid AVE he sounds even better like with a bad cold or something. So I'm digging it and loving it and then Billy Braggs voice pops in, and I like the tune (cause it is largely Wilco) but the voice just wears on me. That is why I wanted a straight Wilco Mermaid Ave for some of the time. Not that I had to clarify that, but that is ultimately what I mean.

I'm possibly more of a Billy Bragg fan than I am a Wilco fan.

Consequently, I've never done this, and I don't plan to.

Talking With The Taxman About Poetry is a perfect album and should straighten out the Bragg haters.

Disclaimer, I made a Wilco-only mix too, way back in the day, but I have since become a BIG Bragg fan.

(See Taxman.)

Just to clarify from my original post, it is not that Billy Bragg the person wears on me, it is more the sonic aspect of things. See I have always LOVED Tweedy's voice, from day one, even when it wasn't fined tuned, esp on AM and Mermaid AVE he sounds even better like with a bad cold or something. So I'm digging it and loving it and then Billy Braggs voice pops in, and I like the tune (cause it is largely Wilco) but the voice just wears on me. That is why I wanted a straight Wilco Mermaid Ave for some of the time. Not that I had to clarify that, but that is ultimately what I mean.

What happened is that you opened a can of worms because of the bad blood between Bragg and Jeff/Jay that goes back to the recording sessions, and apparently has never been resolved. Bragg called Jay a fucker, and Jeff's standard description of Bragg now is 'full of shit'. blah blah

Why people call Bragg an asshole, I don't know. Being a Wilco fan doesn't predispose me to that kind of generalization..but that's just me.

Yeah, I wasn't being sensitive, I figured that this whole Wilco Only Mermaid thread would cause a little of the who's a bigger ass stuff, but at least for me it was soley musical related, even though any musician with politics up front tends to get under my skin. I do appreciate how wilco, at least on their albums hides their politics well, even though we all have a good idea of their politics but that is another thread of which I have no interest, since I like to focus on music to get away from alot of that.

It's OK. I can certainly understand people not liking Bragg's voice. It's an acquired taste for most.

If you ever find it convenient, though, you might try giving Talking With The Taxman About Poetry a spin, just to see if it has any effect on you. Just a thought. :thumbup

For some reason the most hysterical MA-related anecdote I've read was this,

"...On May 14, 2000, Jeff Tweedy played the Noise Pop Festival at Double Door in a concert that polarized Wilco fans. Natalie Merchant joined the band onstage, but left after Tweedy requested that she perform Utah Phillips' murder ballad "Rock Salt and Nails". " (from the wikipedia Loose Fur page)

I don't know why, but I laughed out loud when I read this. What's the story on that show??