First year university

Recently a lot of people have been asking me what I will need to go away to university, and I have no idea! I will be staying in residence, if that makes a difference. What do you all suggest?

Recently a lot of people have been asking me what I will need to go away to university, and I have no idea! I will be staying in residence, if that makes a difference. What do you all suggest?

Your university should have a list but you can always go to the containerstore.com or the actual store they have a list for handy ideas of things to take with you.

Storage is always good..think about the things you actually use on a day to day basis in your room/bathroom...try to weed down what you use and make a list.

find out what you are allowed to have and what will be provided. when i was in college and lived in a dorm, we were not allowed to have hotplates. also, our laundry had loadable cards, eliminating the need for quarters. i would just suggest getting informed about what your place will be like.

other than that, a good strong laundry basket, space saving things like drawers and tubs, cleaning stuff (paper towels, windex, etc) and a mini-fridge. do NOT bring everything you own. do not bring more than a few books (you won't have time to read them) and do not bring all of your clothes. keep it simple and life will be easier.

Mini-fridge, if they're allowed. I would have starved without mine the first year. And, you know, for the beer.

Noise-cancelling headphones.

There was one girl in my dorm who brought 31 pairs of underwear so she would a pair a day for a month and would only have to do laundry once a month when she visited her family.

Even if the university supplies a bedspread, mattress pad, etc., you should bring your own. Who knows what's been on the old one?

Several pairs of comfy slippers.

do not bring all of your clothes. keep it simple and life will be easier.

Adding to this, if you're close enough to home that you'll be able to visit every few months, try to organize your clothing seasonally and rotate out what you need -- so you don't have sweaters cluttering up your space in September, or a huge pile of shorts lying around in January.

Only bring the shit you need. Try to coordinate with your roommate so you both do not bring giant TV's (a bad idea). on second thought do not bring a TV. Only bring as much as can fit in a four door car, because that is all the room there is. A set of silverware and plates and bowls are a good idea. Do not bother bringing your own books they take up space, you more than likely will not have time to read them and your university's library will have them any way. Movies are good, but only bring all your cd's if they are not already on your computer, or you have a car.

congrats on getting in, by the way! :party

when i went off to college, my aunt made me this really amazing care package, filled with a bunch of stuff that i never would have thought to bring. of course, now i can't remember anything that was in there, except for a bottle of goo gone.

Bedroom

• posters
  • plants
  • photographs
  • dress clothes for job interviews
  • comfortable casual clothing (e.g. sweats)
  • slippers
  • shoe mat
  • clothes hangers
  • extra shelf
  • extra lamp - One that you can clip on to your bunk would be the best idea, not having to keep roomie awake, but able to read while in bed is a plus
  • extension cord, power bar
  • stackable storage bins you get a dresser so what do you need this for?!
  • nightstand you get a dresser so what do you need this for?!
  • filing cabinet
  • bedding
  • cushions and pillows
  • sleeping bag
  • humidifier
  • fan
  • lap table suggested if you have a laptop?
  • computer
  • radio, stereo, VCR, TV - ask roomie if she is bringin tv too? you can always watch dvds on your computer if you dont want to watch what roomie is watchin on tv.
  • CDs and videos - don't bring them all, unless you keep them in one of those folder things so you dont have stacks of them all over
  • video game console - maybe?
  • camera
  • water filter, water bottles
  • Windex
  • needle and thread - learn how to mend things before you go to Uni
  • prescribed medication - and bring any paperwork you may need from dr and prescription
  • ear plugs - for snoring roommate
  • clipboard (for taking class notes) - or notepad
  • pencils, pens, erasers, pencil crayons, markers, ruler, scissors, stapler
  • calculator
  • thumbtacks, pushpins, paper clips
  • basic tool kit
  • alarm clock - one that won't annoy the whole floor
  • can opener
  • measuring cups and spoons

Bathroom

• shower shoes
  • bathrobe
  • basket for carrying things to and from the bathroom
  • soap dish
  • towels and face cloths

Kitchen -find out what your floor/building will have in kitchen provided

• basket/container for carrying things to and from the kitchen
  • pots, cookware, utensils
  • dish rack, dish soap, dish towels, sponges/cloths
  • toaster, toaster oven
  • extra food (even if on a meal plan) (healthy food so you don't gain 15 pounds from eating junk)
  • cutting board
  • sharp kitchen knife
  • Tupperware

Laundry

• clothes hamper/basket
  • laundry detergent - get a huge bottle
  • fabric softener - get the dryer sheets, one box lasts ages
  • stain remover
  • clothes drying rack, only if you will have room to actually set it up IN your room
  • iron - check with roommate to see if she will be bringin one too...you don't need 2 in one room

A couple of things that really I thought were crucial my freshman year were:

1. Carpet - Weather it be an area rug or one from the local hardware store that covers the whole floor, it will make a huge difference in the comfort level of your room. I suggest the full rug.

2. A nice big mini fridge if its allowed, the more room the better, you'd be amazed with how much you'll use it.

3. Wireless headphones - this isn't really crucial but I found them to be rather nice. I like to go to sleep listening to music, and it also helps if you and your roommate(assuming you'll have one) have different sleep schedules.

4. Get a loft, it makes all the difference in the world as far as floorspace is concerned.

5. An open mind - as cliche as it may seem, I think a good attitude can make all the difference. It's a crazy but fun time in life and if you're not expecting it to be different, you'll miss out on a lot. I'm glad I've got two years(maybe two and a half or three, we'll see) of it left.

Sit back, relax and enjoy some of the best times of your life.

/$.02

I definitely say dryer sheets. your clothes will smell like shit if you don't use them, with my experience most college laundry appliance suck and will underdry your clothes or leave smelling odd. DON'T BRING WHITE SHEETS. I'm learning that laziness+white sheets= unsettling coloring of the sheets over time. for that matter, dont bring bright sheets. if you can manage it, a carpet's nice. and if you can manage a carpet, try managing something to vacuum it with. bed lofters are great, if your bed doesn't loft. even then, you can loft your bed twice and manage a lot of extra space, which is primo. I've seen it done and I was jealous my bed didn't loft in the first place because depending on how tall the bed can get, the added bed lofters almost double your potential living space.

edit: Sandals or shower shoes, especially. people who think that somehow wearing them isn't necesary get burned. (my room mate)

8152.jpg

Heh.

large_Jodphur-Hookah-Dude.jpg

you get those once you're there, you don't bring them with you.

I disagree, maybe the drugs are better back home. Also, if you show up to school on the first day and you already have drugs, you'll be the most popular kid!!!

Did I say drugs? I meant rugs. Bring rugs.

I disagree, maybe the drugs are better back home. Also, if you show up to school on the first day and you already have drugs, you'll be the most popular kid!!!

Did I say drugs? I meant rugs. Bring rugs.

notice it;s the guy from BC to suggest this................ i wonder why? hmmmmmmmm

5177-VanSunMarcEmery-tn.jpg

yep, thats why

the fact that only one person so far suggested condoms perplexes me. not that i'm one to promote sleeping around or anything, but...it's...well...it's kind of the university experience. or it can be, for a lot of people (i'm not one of those people).

but yeah.

condoms.