he had his final match at wrestlemania on sunday and they had a big tribute to him on last night's RAW program that featured a reunion of the Four Horsemen. he'd been wrestilng about as long as i've been alive and was one of the best entertainers i've ever seen. i have sooo many great memories watching him every saturday afternoon on TBS. hulk hogan is considered the biggest icon the business ever spawned, but he ended up a such a property/caricture...the nature boy lived the role to the hilt.

he still has a few years on his wwe contract, so i'd never say never...but i guess he stated he'll be doing PR work for them in some capcity. whatever that means. whatever the case, it was a sad evening in the famous household last night. owen, logan and I all traded patented flair 'whoo!'s this morning in his honor.

ricflair.jpg

Old Rick was a staple for the Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling series I watched back in the 70s.

They used to roll into town for matches and then hit the bar where one of my middle school teachers bar tended . The teacher, a fan himself, would captivate us the following morning with stories of Rick, Blackjack Mulligan and "Wahoo" McDaniel generally getting smashed and having a good time.

I've a buddy who's the same age as I who swears that Rick stole his girlfriend at a match held at a high school football field, here in rural Virginia in the late Eighties. That would put the girlfriend somewhere between 18-20 and Mr. Flair at around 40-ish.

I totally believe this story for two reasons: 1.) The guy who lost the girl has always looked dejected as hell when recounting the tale and 2.) I can totally hear, as the story goes, Rick calling the audience a stupid bunch of rednecks in one breath and then asking the first cute little blond he spies to come hang out with the Nature Boy in the next.

Whoooo.

Shine on you old platinum haired diamond.

As a fan since the WTBS Georgia Championship Wrestling days, Flair was as much a part of my childhood as Saturday morning cartoons and Christmas at grandma's. It was really great to see all the Mid-Atlantic/NWA guys reunite and wish Flair well. In a business not known for class, last night's send off was one of the classiest things the WWE has ever done.

I'm happy that I have these:

51DKXNHEBRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51T7w3YPEDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

dude, think i'm going to have to get that horsmen dvd. i remember being stoked when i saw it was being released, but forgot all about it until your post...and you know my sentiments echo yours exactly, i think i watched TBS during that same timeframe EVERY saturday for years and years.

Cheers to the Nature Boy. :cheers After all the bad news from the wrestling world in the last few years it's good to see him go out in style.

Please don't take this the wrong way but, is all this "professional" wrestling love love of the ironic sort or genuine affection?

What with your quotes around professional, you could've just deleted everything before the comma.

As a younger fan I clealr missed Flair in his prime but I was unbelievably impressed with his match. Without doubt the best he's had in years. Nice to see he went out on top.

P.S. Needless to say i didn't well up :shifty