Black Gang recording session videos

This is going to be so wicked. Watt is overdue for some great new material. I didn't like his last one all that much (the organ trio one), as much as I hate to say it. Watt and Nels are sort of in the same boat, having a lot of their time devoted by their roles in bigger name groups. I'm glad Watt was finally able to find time to do the Black Gang album he's been promising for almost a decade.

Thanks for the videos. I'll watch them later.

I didn't like his last one all that much (the organ trio one), as much as I hate to say it.

Yeah, that one took a while to grow on me but I like it now. I had a really hard time getting used to the organ instead of some crazy guitar playing to complement Watt.

I'm really excited about this though. Probably my most anticipated release this year.

I'm not sure--I just read about it in the Downbeast blog a few days ago. None of his "solo" albums that I have are just him, so I'm guessing it's probably with a group. It will be interesting to see who he teams up with this time. He's also on Jeff Gauthier's new album, due out in June, I think.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him play with the Scott Amendola Band and with the Singers in two weeks. It will be my first non-Wilco Nels show.

I'm not sure--I just read about it in the Downbeast blog a few days ago. None of his "solo" albums that I have are just him, so I'm guessing it's probably with a group. It will be interesting to see who he teams up with this time. He's also on Jeff Gauthier's new album, due out in June, I think.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him play with the Scott Amendola Band and with the Singers in two weeks. It will be my first non-Wilco Nels show.

That's going to be awesome. I wish he'd come back to the south. I've seen him in a number of non Wilco settings and it's always amazing.

Hopefully Watt can get him to sign on for a Black Gang tour. I'll bet it's been a while since Nels or Watt have done a 50 shows in 51 days type of tour.

Gotta check out the vids tonight after work. Thanks for posting.

It was by the Way of Watt that i first saw/ heard Mr. Cline - here's hoping they do indeed that their thing out on a tourspiel!

I thank Nels is a fantastic guitar player. But, I will stand in the minority here. I just didn't get it. Maybe it was the quality of the recording, but with that being said I just didn't like it. I will reserve my final judgement for the cd but it would really have to knock me off my ass.

It was by the Way of Watt that i first saw/ heard Mr. Cline

Me too. Nels played with Watt on a few tours, but I saw him with Watt's band "The Crew of the Flying Saucer" (I think that's what they were called). That lineup had two drummers, one of them was Michael Pruessner from the Nels Cline Trio. I think that was Nels' first Watt tour, and they played mostly the material from Watt's "Ballhog or Tugboat" album (aka, his "wrestling album"). The Geraldine Fibbers were the opening act. Nels joined the Fibbers not long after that tour. The diary for that tour is epic.

Unfortunately, I missed all the other Watt tours that Nels was on.

I've been reading bits and pieces of that tour diary for months and am still not done with it. It's great. It makes me wish he'd keep a blog on his website, but I don't think he ever sits still long enough to do that.

I first discovered Nels via Wilco but have been working on his back catalogue since last summer. I'm through the Singers and the Geraldine Fibbers, as well as that amazing Scarnella album and a few of his albums with the Trio. His work with Watt will be my next adventure, I think.

• 1 month later...