Ken Jennings' List of Best Bands From Each State

Ken Jennings has a pretty decent blog that I read on a nearly daily basis. In his most recent post, he lists what he considers the best bands from each state. Yesterday he listed Alabama (the state, not the band) through Montana. Click here for the post. Here are a few of my favorites:

Florida Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, at least if you
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:realmad wildy disagree. Although the 'mats and westerberg clearly get their critical acclaim, I think Westerberg is one of the most underrated songwriters in history.

Hey, he had to pick someone. I'd have a hard time with that decision too (though I'd end up picking the Replacements).

He probably didn't want to have to make the "I'm not a racist am I" disclaimer like he did with his Illinois pick. And for the record, he was wrong when he went with The Supremes over The Miracles. Just goes to show that mult-million dollar winning game show contestants don't know everything.

I agree about the lack of selection, but come on! Johnny Cash is from Arkansas.

People were raising similar complaints on his message board, and to his credit, Jennings responded that his list was HIS list of the best BANDS from each state, not solo performers. Plus, if he actually picked quality acts from each state, he wouldn't be able to make snarky little comments. Where's the fun in that?

back the fucking train up...he didn't pick BOB FUCKING DYLAN for Minnesota??????
Jennings responded that his list was HIS list of the best BANDS from each state, not solo performers.

If you look over on my message boards, I got yelled at by two different Chicagoans for picking Wilco over Smashing Pumpkins.

I'm not really convinced about Dylan & the Hawks/Band...not only were none of the Hawks from Minnesota, but they never played together on an official release. Gotta be Prince or the 'mats.

Ken

Prince is a good choice. Heck, there was a time I would've gone with Prince myself (that string of records from Purple Rain to Sign 'O' the Times is pretty tough to beat.)

On the other hand, Dylan and Westerberg are two of my favorite songwriters... Minnesota is a tough State to call.

For overall talent I'd go with Prince; for lyrical brilliance Dylan, and for heartfelt emotion Westerberg.

GWAR is from somewhere?

If you look over on my message boards, I got yelled at by two different Chicagoans for picking Wilco over Smashing Pumpkins.

I'm not really convinced about Dylan & the Hawks/Band...not only were none of the Hawks from Minnesota, but they never played together on an official release. Gotta be Prince or the 'mats.

Ken

Beautiful!