The Byrds vs The Doors

The Byrds vs The Doors  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the Byrds or the Doors?

• The Byrds
    • The Doors

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The insecure music snob in me wants to vote for The Byrds, but I'd much rather hear a Doors song, most of the time.

your bare naked honesty just inspired me to finally open the diet coke that had been sitting on my desk for 5 minutes or so

It's not even close for me.

I love the Byrds and can't stand the Doors.

Hmmm...two sixties bands, both from LA. I like 'em both, this is too hard so I'll go with the Mothers. :stunned

i have an issue with a band that could write something as cool as Peace Frog and then ruin it with a shit poem. that kind of somes them up for me - they'd be great without the shit poems, and all that attempted wisdom.

the byrds, on the other hand, rarely put a foot wrong (although gene clark's lyrics sometimes step over into the "shit-poet zone" - that's two doors down from the twilight zone, just in case you were wondering)

The Doors are one of the most overrated bands ever, imo.

I realize a lot of folks like them and I won't make the obligatory comment about every 8th grader going through a Doors ohase (though I suppose I just did) but really, Morrison's drivel for lyrics as mystic poet is a joke. Yes, they had some decent Rock tunes but a lot of their music seems repetitive/redundant and bleakly bland to these ears.

The Byrds don't do much for me either, fwiw.

i have an issue with a band that could write something as cool as Peace Frog and then ruin it with a shit poem. that kind of somes them up for me - they'd be great without the shit poems, and all that attempted wisdom.

I agree with you there, but I like alot of Doors songs. But, some of Jim's rants and poetry and what not.........what the hell is he talking about? It doesn't taint the Doors for me, so I just ignore it.

I realize a lot of folks like them and I won't make the obligatory comment about every 8th grader going through a Doors ohase (though I suppose I just did) but really, Morrison's drivel for lyrics as mystic poet is a joke. Yes, they had some decent Rock tunes but a lot of their music seems repetitive/redundant and bleakly bland to these ears.

I like their song about drinking beer in the morning

Hmmm...two sixties bands, both from LA. I like 'em both, this is too hard so I'll go with the Flying Burrito Brothers. :stunned

You hit the hammer to the nail on your doors description.

Which byrds records do you have? Knowing your love of the dead I'm suprised you don't like Sweetheart of the Rodeo or 5D

My favorite Doors album is Morrison Hotel. They have a lot of cool rocks and tunes, and a sound that belongs to them only thanks to Densmore, Manzarek and Krieger, not to speak of Jim's undisputable charisma as a singer and performer.

The Byrds lack energy, and many of their tunes are samey. They sound too clean.

The Doors are horribly overrated. If not for Ray Manzarek's production work with X, he would be one of the most insufferable people in all of rock music, right behind his frontman. Krieger and Densmore are talented musicians but not good enough to make up for Morrison's lyrics and Manzarek's general awfulness.