I was surprised by the content of the latest Yep Roc email to land in my inbox...

The follow up to last year's 30-track epic Never Hear the End of It, new album Parallel Play finds the Canadian quartet in top form. A June 10 release date and a summer U.S. tour are planned.

In accordance with Sloan's unique creative dynamics, band members Jay Ferguson, Chris Murphy, Patrick Pentland and Andrew Scott each contribute three songs to Parallel Play (with Andrew clocking in at 4).

Patrick Pentland says of the Sloan process, "I think we create better separately than when we try to do it together. Some times collaboration works, but we're such different people, and all of us are capable song writers and producers, that it doesn't make sense to try to force the band to adhere to some preconceived idea of the typical rock band architecture."

Less a conscious answer to NHTEOI's ambitious unabridged length, "Parallel Play" is a boiled down continuation of the musical concepts put forth on their last album and a further exploration of the band's four-songwriter dynamic. A term taken from the science of developmental psychology, parallel play is a behavior seen in young children in which they enjoy independent activities in the company of other children, something the four boys in Sloan know a lot about.

The track listing and songwriting credits for Parallel Play are as follows:

1. Believe In Me - PATRICK

2. Cheap Champagne - JAY

3. All I Am Is All You’re Not - CHRIS

4. Emergency 911 - ANDREW

5. Burn For It - PATRICK

6. Witch's Wand - JAY

7. The Dogs - ANDREW

8. Living The Dream - CHRIS

9. The Other Side - PATRICK

10. Down In The Basement - ANDREW

11. If I Could Change Your Mind - JAY

12. I'm Not A Kid Anymore - CHRIS

13. Too Many - ANDREW

Looks like they've abandoned their longstanding practice of releasing the album in Canada first on murderecords and then waiting the better part of a year for the U.S. release. Interesting...

Figured I'd share, since there seems to be a fair few Sloan fans on this board. I thought NHTEOI was a genuine return to form, so I'm pretty pumped about this announcement. :dancing

• 2 weeks later...
looks like a good proportion of Patrick songs. Good!

Which means we should be in for some hook laden rockers :yes

After a bunch of listens this weekend (while suffering through the worst stomach flu of my life, guh) I can honestly say that I find this to be their best work since Between the Bridges, released almost a decade ago.

And that track of Andrew's is absolutely a a Dylan pastiche. I love how disparate his tunes are here, and I love how amazing Jay's are. Witch's Wand is absolutely one of the best songs these guys have ever released. Good stuff! This + MMJ's Evil Urges = the sound of my summer, most likely.

I'm Not A Kid Anymore = so Spoon it hurts, and i love it

my favorite track and, as i put on my blog, my favorite song about the struggle w/ adulthood since 'I'm an Adult Now' by The Pursuit of Happiness.

they finally cracked the code for me. i've always appreciated the band and i really dig a lot of their tunes...but i've always stopped short of categorizing myself as a 'real fan'. this album has officially pushed me over the edge.

soundwise, it's actually not THAT far off their older stuff, certainly more than their last few.

what records did you check out in full?

you name it, i've given it a try. they've each had a slew of tracks I really like, but either the slower jams have been too slow or the rockers have ended up sounding redundant. this time around, they've all gelled for me.

'one chord to another' came close and 'pretty together' almost did it...but there were few tunes that stopped them short from being a total package. what can i say.

seeing them live last summer helped peak my interest even more...it was a fun show.