School Of Rock

Jambo

Q Brothers

Buck Howdy With BB

Uncle Rock

Big Don

Mr. Ray

The Jimmies

I'm going to this as my brother lives in Austin and my brother-in-law is playing the Festival, but I have to admit being a little let down by this line-up. Bands that were rumored to be playing that aren't that I was really looking forward to:

Wilco

Radiohead

Flaming Lips

Super Furry Animals

Bands that ARE playing that I'd be interested to check out:

Foo Fighters

Spiritualized

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Beck

Manu Chao

Alejandro Escovedo

David Byrne

The Raconteurs

Gnarls Barkley

Man Man

Robert Earl Keen

Jenny Lewis

M. Ward

Iron and Wine

Mason Jennings

Antibalas

Silversun Pickups

Gogol Bordello

Gillian Welch

The Black Keys

Okkervil River

Galactic

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings

Vampire Weekend

Yonder Mountain String Band

Any others that I may be less familiar with that I shouldn't miss?

i had already decided i was going to skip this year. i've gone every year and last year really wore me down. i'm glad that the lineup is going to allow me to skip this festival without feeling like i'm missing anything. a lot of the bands that i would be interested in seeing were just here for sxsw.

i find it interesting that the same people produce lollapalooza and that festival clearly got the superior lineup. why did they shaft acl??

I second that. I saw him on the Grown Backwards tour and it was great. I really enjoy his solo work as much as I do the talking heads.

I saw him on that tour as well at Bonnaroo. Great record. His solo material really is great is a shame it doesn't get more notice.

i had already decided i was going to skip this year. i've gone every year and last year really wore me down. i'm glad that the lineup is going to allow me to skip this festival without feeling like i'm missing anything. a lot of the bands that i would be interested in seeing were just here for sxsw.

i find it interesting that the same people produce lollapalooza and that festival clearly got the superior lineup. why did they shaft acl??

in your mind. there are many folks here who would rather see many of these artists then what lolla has to offer.

The Raconteurs

Iron & Wine

The Black Keys

Okkervil River

Alejandro Escovedo

Drive-By Truckers

Every year I talk about going to this and every year I don't. Many on the list are intriguing but the artists above would more than make this worthwhile for me.

i don't recommend it, the side shows (outside the festival) are what's to see. Every time i've been the sound bleed over from the bigger stages ruins the smaller sets, which are what I always prefer to see. Most folk splay somewhere else in town on their off day or night, that's what I try to focus on.

i don't recommend it, the side shows (outside the festival) are what's to see. Every time i've been the sound bleed over from the bigger stages ruins the smaller sets, which are what I always prefer to see. Most folk splay somewhere else in town on their off day or night, that's what I try to focus on.

yeah, i'm going to save my money and just go to "late" shows every night. and i'll actually have time to try to get into ACL tapings!

My experience was that I had to leave the headliners early to make the late shows. But since I don't care much about the headliners this year, that wouldn't be an issue.

Exactly, you should almost hope that the headliners suck. :) That way you can get out of there before the rush of the crowds, you get back to your hotel to shower and eat, and then get in line for the late shows in town. At least, that's what I did last year... Also, by the end of a long day at the grounds, there is garbage everywhere and people are usually pretty wasted. I hate the late shows at fesitvals.

My experience was that I had to leave the headliners early to make the late shows. But since I don't care much about the headliners this year, that wouldn't be an issue.

My brother lives in Austin and has a cab driver he knows who he calls on his cell when we are leaving Zilker. He picks us up outside the grounds and we're back downtown for the late shows in plenty of time. I'd bet that even if you're from out of town you could talk to a cabbie when you get to town, tip him well and get his cell #.

ETA: So apparently Brian Eno is touring with David Byrne. I assume he means he'll be with Byrne for his ACL appearance, making what is already my most anticipated show of the festival even MORE anticipated-ier. :P

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Heading to Austin today! Unfortunately I won't get there in time for David Byrne's show at the Paramount Theatre, but I got a nice surprise this morning and learned I have a laminate for the Festival so I'll be able to check out all my faves from stage-side! [/shameless bragging]

Anyone else going?