Cheap beer appreciation thread

Miller Lite is nothing to be upset about. Yuengling is the best but it's not available east of Ohio. Grain Belt is a very, very excellent middle price range beer, and in fact one of my favorite beers period.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller Lite is nothing to be upset about. Yuengling is the best but it's not available east west of Ohio. Grain Belt is a very, very excellent middle price range beer, and in fact one of my favorite beers period.

I had never heard of Grain Belt before this thread. I used to love Rolling Rock, but it will not pass my lips now that it is no longer made in the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe. :angry

I had never heard of Grain Belt before this thread. I used to love Rolling Rock, but it will not pass my lips now that it is no longer made in the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe. :angry

Latrobe is a very cool town, by the way. My parents went to college there, so I've been quite a few times. Never had Rolling Rock, though.

There are beers other than Guinness?

Seriously, though, I find it hard to drink just about anything else. When presented with the choice of cheap beer/no beer, it's no beer. Prolly the cheapest I'll go is Labatt. Used to like Rolling Rock, but I was working in Latrobe the day they announced the buyout/closing of the brewery, and I gotta tell you, the local's reaction was a bit strong. Decided on that day to show a little solidarity with them.

Otherwise, maybe a (free) Genny, but I'm not sure they even make it any more (To the OP, I'm surprised you can find Genny Cream. The brewery folded a while ago and became "High Falls" brewery. They have the Sam Adams contract, among others)

Latrobe is a very cool town, by the way. My parents went to college there, so I've been quite a few times. Never had Rolling Rock, though.

I have heard - my best friend's dad is a Latrobe native.

There are beers other than Guinness?

Seriously, though, I find it hard to drink just about anything else. When presented with the choice of cheap beer/no beer, it's no beer. Prolly the cheapest I'll go is Labatt. Used to like Rolling Rock, but I was working in Latrobe the day they announced the buyout/closing of the brewery, and I gotta tell you, the local's reaction was a bit strong. Decided on that day to show a little solidarity with them.

Otherwise, maybe a (free) Genny, but I'm not sure they even make it any more (To the OP, I'm surprised you can find Genny Cream. The brewery folded a while ago and became "High Falls" brewery. They have the Sam Adams contract, among others)

$5.69 a 12-pack at the distributor down the street. I am about five hours driving time from Rochester.

$5.69 a 12-pack at the distributor down the street. I am about five hours driving time from Rochester.

Wow, guess they're doing a little more up at the brewery than I thought. Is it just the cream available, or the beer also?

This is utter lunacy.

Not a stance I would take myself. Like the flowers need the rain, I need beer.

Not a stance I would take myself. Like the flowers need the rain, I need beer.

I can understand a statement like that if it involves, say, pizza or sex. But not beer. Even crummy beer is still a decent beer when it's the only option.

Wow, guess they're doing a little more up at the brewery than I thought. Is it just the cream available, or the beer also?

The beer, and the bock were all there, and I think the light as well. Hard times are good times for cheap beer makers.

I can understand a statement like that if it involves, say, pizza or sex. But not beer. Even crummy beer is still a decent beer when it's the only option.

Not to me. I don't really drink much anymore -- hardly at all, in fact -- and those few times that I do, I want something good. I'll order water or Diet Coke before I order a cheap beer.

Not to me. I don't really drink much anymore -- hardly at all, in fact -- and those few times that I do, I want something good. I'll order water or Diet Coke before I order a cheap beer.

I can see that. I don't think that was the vibe of the guy's post, though (and I may be off base and do not mean to speak for him).

I can't see being out on a boat or at barbeque or something and wanting a beer and turning one down because it's sub-par to my standards, though.

A Genny and a garbage plate do a body good.

Only if it has white hots, extra hot sauce!

We do training in the Rochester area for people from all over the northeast. It has become a tradition for us to force garbage plates on the non-vegetarians one day a week. Not the day they're leaving though, as we don't want to put anyone through the small hell of a long drive after a garbage plate.

The beer, and the bock were all there, and I think the light as well. Hard times are good times for cheap beer makers.

IIRC, the bock is spring time only. My Genny memories are coming back, though. Since you seem to be a fan, do they still make the 12 horse?

I can see that. I don't think that was the vibe of the guy's post, though (and I may be off base and do not mean to speak for him).

I can't see being out on a boat or at barbeque or something and wanting a beer and turning one down because it's sub-par to my standards, though.

I think I may be the original "guy" referred to here. Feel free to speak for me as long I still retain the rights to the royalty checks.

It is a rather sticky situation, though, as I don't want to be rude or snobbish when refusing a drink. If I don't know what is being offered when it is being offered, I generally pass immediately so as not to offend. If I do know, I make up an excuse to pass it up. If I know the person really well, or at least if they know me, they'll know I am by nature a sarcastic prick, so I will not let them down with my refusal. "Piss water" is the term, I believe.

When I did drink cheap beer (i.e., briefly during college), it didn't get any cheaper than Dubuque Star.

I think it was $5 for a case of longnecks at Food4Less, and sometimes only $4.

Plus, it was far better than Milwaukee's Best, which was the cheap pisswater of choice for most of my classmates.