Jonathan Richman residency!

Ok, who the hell is this guy? For the past month I've been hearing so much about this guy, and I never knew he existed. His name makes him sound like a stand-up comedian. So who is he?

Ok, who the hell is this guy? Its as if in the past month I've been hearing so much about this guy, and I never knew he existed. His name makes him sound like a stand-up comedian. So who is he?

have you seen Something About Mary? :lol

Modern Lovers ring a bell?

Ok, who the hell is this guy? Its as if in the past month I've been hearing so much about this guy, and I never knew he existed. His name makes him sound like a stand-up comedian. So who is he?

Out of Boston. He formed The Modern Loverns in the mid-70s. Some of the tunes are really witty and goofy in a Pixies kind of way. Sort of intelligent pre-Punk stuff, I guess.

I haven't listened to much (if any) of his solo/duet stuff but any Modern Loverns stuff is worth checking out.

I saw him about 2 months ago and he was horrible, and I would go as far as saying it was the worst show I have ever attended. It was boring and that's a word that shouldn't be used when talking about Jo-Jo. Granted he played a lot of new stuff, but nothing else of interest (new version of old world and a half-assed attempt at lesbian bar, which consisted of one verse and the chorus repeated once). The new stuff just didn't have "it" and was not entertaining. It was mainly him jamming and playing with his effect pedals. Plus, he can only play/sing for less than an hour due to health reasons.

I saw him 3 years ago and he was brilliant. It was the most amazing show ever. He has the distinction of being the best and worst concert I have ever been to.

i recommend starting with the late 80's rounder records lps:

-having a party with jonathan richman and the modern lovers

-modern lovers 88

-i, jonathan

-jonathan goes country

or:

-jonathan sings

-rockin and romance

i adore this man's music. have seen him countless times and danced my socks off and had my heart touched at every show.

this quote may be overstating it...from a seattle reporter: "there are two types of people in the world: jonathan richman fans, and those who don't know yet that they are jonathan richman fans."

Have you heard the CD that came out yesterday. Allmusic gave it a very positive write-up. Jonathan's great!

am due to pick it up today!

the last time i saw him he played a couple of tracks from the new record. "the lovers are here" has been getting airplay on KXLU here in los angeles.

Yikes..this is good news....sounds like a great time.

LouieB

:cheers :dancing :dancing

Hubba hubba!

hello andrew! :dancing

i saw him over a year ago in la, got there early and met and hung out with jonathan and tommy for a little bit. what a great guy and what a great show. the next day i was eating at a chipotle in santa barbara, and they have burrito wrappers with musicians' names written all over them, and jonathan richman was written on there so i was really excited. then i walk out of chipotle, and walking down the sidewalk who do i see but jonathan richman and tommy larkins. i stopped and we chatted and they asked for a good place to have a burrito. very surreal. i completely forgot the new album was out today, and am now on my way to get it.

but for beginners, i would definately have someone start off with his album "Not So Much To Be Loved As To Love" and go from there.

:rotfl

knowing this neighborhood, there may not be a starbucks, but there will be a kosher market.

also: NO SOCKS! :pirate (california in june, and all :dancing )

I have seen Jojo 5 times (maybe 6?) and he has never been anything less than outstanding.

One of the best performers, ever.

ok, had a bit of scheduling luck: although jr's residency is the SAME WEEK as the largo-coronet is opening (godDAMMIT!), the helio sequence is playing the week AFTER. :whew

man, caught a break on that one. i was starting to develop a cramp. :monkey

Wow! I will definetely be heading up to the Mint for these! I love that place! I'm used to seeing Nels play there with Watt, Perk and Co. I missed him when he played over here in Costa Mesa last fall and was regretful. Now I have 4 opportunities for redemption. Helio Sequence too. When and where is that?