ya know, i hemmed and hawed about getting an ipod for long time. finally got one about a year and a half ago. i hate the damn thing!!! it's 30 gigs and i am ALWAYS taking shit off and putting shit on. i get so frustrated and just delete everything. it's just so hard to just listen to an album on their with all those artists and songs. it really makes me crazy. i can never decide what to listen to. should i put all my music on there? just some? should i downsize? go back to cds? any one else have this issue. i kind of miss the days of just picking up one cd every couple months and listening the shit out of it. now music is so 'available' i could have the entire neil young catalog in the next 24 hours. :dontgetit

Wow. I totally had an iPod hate afternoon. i also have a 30 g and it just isn't enough--i had to take off all the wilco live shows because they take up almost 18 g.

I need a bigger one. with video. is it really worth it to have the video? I am about to start a job and will be commuting by train at least 1 hour in each direction....

Wow. I totally had an iPod hate afternoon. i also have a 30 g and it just isn't enough--i had to take off all the wilco live shows because they take up almost 18 g.

I need a bigger one. with video. is it really worth it to have the video? I am about to start a job and will be commuting by train at least 1 hour in each direction....

the video is nice, but make sure you bring your charger to work.

I find trying to watch something on that little screen to be a bit annoying, but that didn't stop me from paying $1.99 for the Super Bowl highlights.

I agree about not being able to decide what to listen to. But I love my IPod.

I was so against them when they first came out, saying that they would kill the CD, etc. And now, although I have been proven right (the CD is dead) I'm addicted to my IPod.

I'm actually thinking about selling a lot of my cds now.

ya know, i hemmed and hawed about getting an ipod for long time. finally got one about a year and a half ago. i hate the damn thing!!! it's 30 gigs and i am ALWAYS taking shit off and putting shit on. i get so frustrated and just delete everything. it's just so hard to just listen to an album on their with all those artists and songs. it really makes me crazy. i can never decide what to listen to. should i put all my music on there? just some? should i downsize? go back to cds? any one else have this issue. i kind of miss the days of just picking up one cd every couple months and listening the shit out of it. now music is so 'available' i could have the entire neil young catalog in the next 24 hours. :dontgetit

Have you tried creating playlists? You could either create a bunch of playlists on your computer and then have a few on your iPod and switch them every so often or you can set them all on your iPod, depending on the space you have available. Maybe if you had some mixes ready to go you'd feel better about it. Or shuffle is good, if you have the time and know which songs you don't want to hear and shuffle and set them to skip when you have shuffle on. I had to go through and de-select all my Wilco live stuff because last week I heard Walken live 2 times in a row and then later on same day I heard it again..all from live shows.

Jen, yes videos are nice to have, I bought a few tv shows from iTunes and have those on there in case I get bored and want to watch them again, I have even found some really great video podcasts that I subscribe to as well :)

My favourite thing to have on there though are my podcasts of Sound Opinions and audiobooks. I already have my audio book borrowed from the library ready to put on my iPod for the trip down to St Louis :) Sometimes that helps me get through a long trip. The only thing with audiobooks are you have to do a little work to convert them and put them into one big file so that you dont have a ton of 'songs' all labelled part 1, part 2, etc cause it can be hard to remember where you left off if you listened to music for a while and then went back to the book.

Have you tried creating playlists? You could either create a bunch of playlists on your computer and then have a few on your iPod and switch them every so often or you can set them all on your iPod, depending on the space you have available. Maybe if you had some mixes ready to go you'd feel better about it. Or shuffle is good, if you have the time and know which songs you don't want to hear and shuffle and set them to skip when you have shuffle on. I had to go through and de-select all my Wilco live stuff because last week I heard Walken live 2 times in a row and then later on same day I heard it again..all from live shows.

Jen, yes videos are nice to have, I bought a few tv shows from iTunes and have those on there in case I get bored and want to watch them again, I have even found some really great video podcasts that I subscribe to as well :)

My favourite thing to have on there though are my podcasts of Sound Opinions and audiobooks. I already have my audio book borrowed from the library ready to put on my iPod for the trip down to St Louis :) Sometimes that helps me get through a long trip. The only thing with audiobooks are you have to do a little work to convert them and put them into one big file so that you dont have a ton of 'songs' all labelled part 1, part 2, etc cause it can be hard to remember where you left off if you listened to music for a while and then went back to the book.

well, i will try playlists again. havent done that in a while. shuffle is pretty bad as it's so repetative and doesn't seem random. not to mention, i get addicted to pushing skip all the time. what is party shuffle?

video is fun for movies and tv shows.

c

Yeah, playlists are the best way to work an iPod that is not a Shuffle.

Jay kind of took over mine so he can listen to it at work. I have XM Radio, so I listen to channel 43 all the time.

When he gets a new one, I'll get mine back. Eventually.

you mean when YOU get a new one, Jay can keep yours. :yes

I have a 30g with video - and I have watched MST3K (Master Ninja II) on it and This American Life episodes on it. I rarely use it for video (even on commutes) but it's nice on occasion when I am just too spent to knit and wanna be distracted for the train ride home.

Mainly I just have mine on shuffle or listen to This American Life podcasts.

I love my iPod unconditionally. Really. It's 160 GB and I haven't had time to fill more than half yet but it's something to look forward to doing. When in doubt- I just don't use it.

Guest Muncle Douchey
i kind of miss the days of just picking up one cd every couple months and listening the shit out of it.

i enjoy having a iPod, but man, i couldn't agree more with the above statement.

I've got a little 2 gig MP3 player (can't remember the make right now) that I love. It plays pretty much any music format, and it's the size of a lighter.

I only us CD's in the car because all my music is on my computer (which has a killer sound system).. I tried using an FM transmitter with my MP3 player in attempt to eliminate CD's, but the FM transmitter just sucks.. Too much interference and the volume is low.

i love my ipod! to the point that i panic if the battery goes dead sooner than i think it should. i had gotten so used to letting it drive on album shuffle, when i got my new car and the car stereo didn't recognize album shuffle, my whole ipod world went into a tailspin. i solved that problem by making playlists and ehmmm, ummmm, getting a nano to compliment my 30gb so i don't have to navigate through so much music through the car stereo interface (and the nano matches my car, dork i know). i did have to take all of my wilco shows off of the nano. although i am tempted to make the nano all wilco all the time. :)

i enjoy having a iPod, but man, i couldn't agree more with the above statement.

thanks! i think the last cd i did that with was AGIB...just listened to that one over and over. others were Siamese Dream in college and Nomads Indian Saints by indigo girls in high school. oh and of course, neil young :thumbup

i love my ipod! to the point that i panic if the battery goes dead sooner than i think it should. i had gotten so used to letting it drive on album shuffle, when i got my new car and the car stereo didn't recognize album shuffle, my whole ipod world went into a tailspin. i solved that problem by making playlists and ehmmm, ummmm, getting a nano to compliment my 30gb so i don't have to navigate through so much music through the car stereo interface (and the nano matches my car, dork i know). i did have to take all of my wilco shows off of the nano. although i am tempted to make the nano all wilco all the time. :)

yeah, i have thought about getting a nano to be dedicated to neil young. i love the new album cover interface with the new ones. more of a whole experience rather than just print.

I've got a little 2 gig MP3 player (can't remember the make right now) that I love. It plays pretty much any music format, and it's the size of a lighter.

I only us CD's in the car because all my music is on my computer (which has a killer sound system).. I tried using an FM transmitter with my MP3 player in attempt to eliminate CD's, but the FM transmitter just sucks.. Too much interference and the volume is low.

yes, fm transmitters blow!!! when we all have cars with ipod jacks and not cd players...well...that's it. the cd is gone.