Favorite album(s) by....

No kidding. Wasn't Bob and Sara split up at the time? I seem to recall a story that she was in the studio hanging out for some reason when that song was recorded. That must have been heavy.

Right. It was supposedly done as they were finishing the album and on their way out the door.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to Desire again last night. I would definitely put it in my top five. I listened to the SACD version and I think the mix sounds fine. It is a pretty unique sounding Dylan disk, so I can definitely understand if someone might not rank it as high as some. It does sound like his band, at these sessions, is having fun. Rob Stoner's bass playing is pretty solid throughout.

The Allen Ginsberg liner notes are a fun read, too. Reading the notes made me wish I had Desire on vinyl.

To those who have it on vinyl, where were the liner notes printed?

Listening to the Bob Dylan station on Pandora right now. The Levee's gonna break from Modern Times is on. Sounding really good. I was in the mood for the older acoustic stuff but this is doing the trick. Might have to pull that CD out.

I think that is in the No Direction Home book. I can't recall exactly.

I think I got it from the Bob Spitz book.

farewell angelina is great!. its funny how he leaves some of his best tunes off the albums
It is one of the greatest songs ever. Joan Baez does a great version of it on one of her early albums. It was sort of her song after that.

LouieB

just to chime in with a follow up thought about my dislike of Desire given the last couple of posts ...

I realize that I also don't like the duets with Joan Baez. So it may just be that when I want my Dylan fix, I want my Dylan fix straight. No ice. No water. Neat.

I love his voice. It just doesnt sound good to me when it's mixed with female vocals. To each his own, I suppose.

just to chime in with a follow up thought about my dislike of Desire given the last couple of posts ...

I realize that I also don't like the duets with Joan Baez. So it may just be that when I want my Dylan fix, I want my Dylan fix straight. No ice. No water. Neat.

I love his voice. It just doesnt sound good to me when it's mixed with female vocals. To each his own, I suppose.

For me it depends onthe song and the setting. But I do have a friend who can not stand Joan Baez singing with Bob, so your view is nto uncommon.

Singing a duet with Dylan seems to be always a challenge. I read plenty of interviews with Baez where she states Bob likes changing key in the middle of a song, which can't be fun while you are on stage trying to perform a song. On Desire, it seems Harris is at times is just trying to keep up with Dylan on the vocals. It's, at times, a bit ragged, but it works for me.

A few posts back someone mention Desire was an all acoustic guitar album, however a Bellzouki was played an few tracks and it does add to the songs. Of course the acoustic guitar is the most prevalent throughout.

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-6578-D...Electric-Guitar

Agreed 100%.

I can't imagine in a million years enjoying 'The Water Is Wide' off of Rolling Thunder.

On Desire, it seems Harris is at times is just trying to keep up with Dylan on the vocals. It's, at times, a bit ragged, but it works for me.

This is a nice point. A lot of her parts seem just a tad off the mark. It works for me, too.

I'm not sure Baez has really added value to any song she sang on.

Edit: Now I kind of feel bad for saying this.

She was an early champion of his, helped his music reach a wider audience, and they were together. We should remember that.
The old, I can't stand Joan Baez and her voice is so tired. Admittedly she is now not the "star" she was in the 60s, but she did ALOT for Dylan's career including ecording what were wonderful versions of his songs on her own albums, bringing alot of attention to him. Even now she continues to promote his songs, some of which are primarily known because of her, including Mama you've been on my mind and Love is Just a four letter word among others.

I sort of agree that the two of them don't sound all that great together, but then again, few people do sound good with him. (and yea, EmmyLou does sound good with him (she is pretty far down in the mix on Desire though) and she sounds great with everyone.)

LouieB

The old, I can't stand Joan Baez and her voice is so tired. Admittedly she is now not the "star" she was in the 60s, but she did ALOT for Dylan's career including ecording what were wonderful versions of his songs on her own albums, bringing alot of attention to him. Even now she continues to promote his songs, some of which are primarily known because of her, including Mama you've been on my mind and Love is Just a four letter word among others.

I sort of agree that the two of them don't sound all that great together, but then again, few people do sound good with him. (and yea, EmmyLou does sound good with him (she is pretty far down in the mix on Desire though) and she sounds great with everyone.)

LouieB

I agree on all counts. I'm just not a fan of her style of singing, completely subjective opinion. Although if it has become tired then there must be many others who agree with me. No denying she has had an important role in Dylan's career and in the music world. Like I said, I regretted making the statement because it does not really add much value to the conversation.

I don't about the early days, but I think in the liner notes to the 75 show release she talks about sort of being thrown into the deep end. If I recall correctly, she said he kept changing the songs, and she did not know what was going to go down until they were actually doing it onstage. I think she says something about "watching his mouth". I suppose we also have to remember that on stage vocal monitor systems were still not all that great in 1975. At least compared to what we have today, anyhow.

I recall reading in one of those Dylan books about him and Bob Neuwirth talking her into joining the tour. Which must have been a trip - if one notices the way they treated her during the Don't Look Back time period.

I think it is the same with Emmy Lou's vocals on Desire - as I said above - she did not really know what he wanted. Personally, I could do without the female voice on that album. I'd like to hear it with just Bob's voice.

She is a very strong woman and had done a lot of work over the years for the movement. Sometimes, I think that is what turns people off - more so than her singing - her politics.

I like to hear her sing certain songs - such as Let It Be, for example. Oddly enough, there is actually a photo of her and Pete Seeger in the new issue of Rolling Stone.

I don't about the early days, but I think in the liner notes to the 75 show release she talks about sort of being thrown into the deep end. If I recall correctly, she said he kept changing the songs, and she did not know what was going to go down until they were actually doing it onstage. I think she says something about "watching his mouth". I suppose we also have to remember that on stage vocal monitor systems were still not all that great in 1975. At least compared to what we have today, anyhow.

I recall reading in one of those Dylan books about him and Bob Neuwirth talking her into joining the tour. Which must have been a trip - if one notices the way they treated her during the Don't Look Back time period.

I think it is the same with Emmy Lou's vocals on Desire - as I said above - she did not really know what he wanted. Personally, I could do without the female voice on that album. I'd like to hear it with just Bob's voice.

She is a very strong woman and had done a lot of work over the years for the movement. Sometimes, I think that is what turns people off - more so than her singing - her politics.

I like to hear her sing certain songs - such as Let It Be, for example. Oddly enough, there is actually a photo of her and Pete Seeger in the new issue of Rolling Stone.

I certainly don't mind her politics, I'm probably to the left of her on most things. I don't dislike her or her voice, it has just never moved me.

LouieB

i don't know. i'd say Manfred Mann, The Byrds, The Hollies etc... had a bigger influence in helping Dylan actually become BIG. Mama You've Been on My Mind I'd associate with Rod Stewart or Fairport Convention - they certainly did a far better job with it than her. she just makes everything sound so maudlin and contrived. but, she was good looking - i will say that. someone like Karen Dalton, who was popular amongst the folk singers of the time, but didn't want to record & make it big (but is kind of being rediscovered now) is an american female folk singer who wipes the floor with Joan Baez's talent, and she doesn't shove her bleeding heart liberalism down your throat whilst she's doing so. sing a song, or do a speech - not both at the same time!

I certainly don't mind her politics, I'm probably to the left of her on most things. I don't dislike her or her voice, it has just never moved me.

I'm with you, Moss. I saw her perform on Martha's Vineyard in '88 at an outdoor band shell and she sounded nice, but in terms of her pairing with Dylan I'm not a big fan. Her voice doesn't do it for me. Nothing political about it. Her cover of Gabriel's "Biko" is my favorite thing of hers.