Favorite album(s) by....

i actually like under the red sky. the production is bright and fun. of course i hated it when it came out. i was steeped in 70s production and couldn't believe the state of music production in 80s-90s. however, not that my pallet has 'matured' i actually like the album. my attempts with dylan are to focus on lyrics, then music, then voice, then production. in that order, every album can reveal itself to be quite good.

Hmmm, I don't think I have listened to it since it came out. Have to dig out my cassette and cassette player and give it a play.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard most all of those, I just have not bought them. I gave up on being a completest a few years ago, but I will get those albums someday.

Before the Flood (re-master) (March 31st)

New Morning, and, The Basement Tapes also.

Various Dylan Blu-Spec cds to be released. (Amazon.com link).

I've never heard of this format.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

this is interesting. however, i think it will probably go the way of sacd, dts, and dvd-audio. not to mention that inability of blueray to catch on. how many times are the music industry folks gonna try to get people to re-buy albums?

didn't john mellencamp's last album come out in some new format too? whatever, if you love the song, you'll listen to any shit version.

this is interesting. however, i think it will probably go the way of sacd, dts, and dvd-audio. not to mention that inability of blueray to catch on. how many times are the music industry folks gonna try to get people to re-buy albums?

didn't john mellencamp's last album come out in some new format too? whatever, if you love the song, you'll listen to any shit version.

I've never bought any of the Dylan re-masters. We talked about that Mellencamp deal in some thread around here. It's called

CODE. I think I read somewhere that Neil Young was working on some new audio format also. I find that I am happy with re-masters done in HDCD.

New Morning/Basement - these are the same type of remasters as the catalog went through a few years ago?

I mean, I know these weren't done in that batch that had been done, not a repeat.

At first they came out in digipak format, and then went to jewel cases.

It seems to be a bit confusing. Some of them are listed Blu-Spec Import re-masters, other are not. I doubt I will buy any of these, as I already own them all. I am curious to hear what they sound like, but there are no bonus tracks, or other goodies, so it is hard for me to justify buying them again.

It seems to be a bit confusing. Some of them are listed Blu-Spec Import re-masters, other are not. I doubt I will buy any of these, as I already own them all. I am curious to hear what they sound like, but there are no bonus tracks, or other goodies, so it is hard for me to justify buying them again.

Over at Expectingrain board, the reviews have not been that great, esp. New Morning. (though over there they all seem to love to complain about everything in extreme detail).

I am going to pick up New Morning, since I never owned a proper copy of it and have not listened to it in years.

The others I have already and happy with them.

New Morning is one record I always thought sounded 20x better on record, very warm production.

• 7 months later...
Guest Runaway Jim

I've basically come to the conclusion that I'll never be able to pin point one favorite Dylan record. There's just so much that I love, and still so much that I haven't even heard yet.

But I think if asked about his "Best" album, I'll always say HWY 61 or Blonde on Blonde.

I too, feel this way about Mr Zimmerman's proper output. One thing I can pinpoint is the The Basement Tapes has slowly become one of my all-time favorite records. Ever.

Are you partial to Tree With Roots or the original 5 volume "genuine"?