Hey all was just wondering if some of the ridiculously smart people on this board could help me out:

I am planning on a buying my first tube amp.

I have had my heart set on buying a fender hot rod deville 410.

but deep in my heart i know that this will be way too loud for my apartment, and while it will be fun for jamming, playing it in my place at fun volume is impossible.

So i was also looking at the fender hot rod deluxe. or maybe even the deville with the 2 12's...

Also I guess the fender blues deluxes could be good. if i can pick out a good fuzz/distortion pedal...

does anybody have any suggestions as to what i should go for?

I really need help deciding.

i think the hot rod deluxe would be nice, i just dont know if it is not as nice as the deville, or what to expect.

thanks guys, i really appreciate it...

I don't have an experience with either of these, but you get the impression from other people online (like even the reviews at sweetwater.com) that the HRDx is a pretty big step down. Which sucks because of the $$ etc.

Also wrt the Blue Deluxe Reissue, that is made down in Mexico. (the old ones were made in the US) also people online say that the BDRI is super loud.

Random comment: I don't think any of these is really going to be very quiet. Have you considered using some Solid State Technology for home and then rocking the 410 at rehearsal / gigs? I know that sucks, but if you're really afraid of the volume...

Is money a huge issue?

Having played on almost every currently offered fender, i am completely sold on the 65 Deluxe reverb RI...a loud 22 watts, 4 inputs, reverb, vibrato, fabulous tone, jensen speaker, and it does not go from soft to silly loud like the Hot rods do...

Have said this before...i think the fender blues junior is about the best 'first tube' amp one can get into, youll get great, cutting tone while learning about tube creaminess and avoiding crank overkill

Get the amp you want. You can turn the amp and your guitar down as low as they will go, and you will be able to play in your apt.

Thanks so much for your help guys.

Buying a first tube amp when you don't know much about them can be very overwhelming especially if you are looking at sites like harmony central.

i think i want a hot rod deville 212, or the hot rod deluxe. but i get the impression both get extremely loud, with little headroom...

I am also not sure if the hrd will be loud enough when i gig/jam.

thanks again for the help...

Having played on almost every currently offered fender, i am completely sold on the 65 Deluxe reverb RI...a loud 22 watts, 4 inputs, reverb, vibrato, fabulous tone, jensen speaker, and it does not go from soft to silly loud like the Hot rods do...

I am curently selling a shit ton of gear to get this amp. The fucking warmth at low settings is out of this world. Best Buy..............................period. I have owned or played every fender combo out there, each has it's pro's and con's, but not the case with the 65 Deluxe Reverb. The only fender amp I can't let go is my 78 Vibro Champ. The Deville 4/10 is way to fucking heavy and at lower settings, sounds like shit.

It sounds like your in the same price range as me right now, so do what you will. I've spent the last 5 years going through fenders, marshals, peavey, and vox amps. Go buy the 65 RI now, that amp will lend it's every need to your situation.

If you wan't to save some cash now and later buy an upgrade, get a JR.

I have owned or played every fender combo out there, each has it's pro's and con's, but not the case with the 65 Deluxe Reverb.

the only con is that it is hard on power tubes...i get about 6 months out of a single 6v6 playing 12 hours a week...a small, small issue for a fabulous amp

the only con is that it is hard on power tubes...i get about 6 months out of a single 6v6 playing 12 hours a week...a small, small issue for a fabulous amp

That would not be a con for me right now cause I pretty much play acoustic unless a song really calls for electric. That amp really fits my needs as far as playing rythem. If and when I take a lead I know straight up that amp has got it. Even the "boring part" of playing rythem guitar takes on a whole new way of looking at things. I've only played that amp four times or so, but it seems like the most mondain parts of a song's stucture takes on a whole new life.

I saw one on ebey with two tens in it(moded), what are the pro's and con's on that?

That would not be a con for me right now cause I pretty much play acoustic unless a song really calls for electric. That amp really fits my needs as far as playing rythem. If and when I take a lead I know straight up that amp has got it. Even the "boring part" of playing rythem guitar takes on a whole new way of looking at things. I've only played that amp four times or so, but it seems like the most mondain parts of a song's stucture takes on a whole new life.

I saw one on ebey with two tens in it(moded), what are the pro's and con's on that?

The reason it burns thru tube is that it has by design a higher plate voltage than many amp, and it doesnt matter how hard you drive it, they will still go out more readily than in other amps...dont get me wrong, its worth it, the 6v6 is a great tube

I dont play electric, per se, my rig is a Gibson Chet Atkins SST or Martin acoustic though the DRRI...you get the great clean with warmth for acoustic sounds and some searing tube bending drive after about 3-4...it makes my sound

Id stay away from modded versions, but i cant see a real problem with 2 ten in that amp as long as the ohms are matched properly...although i have no idea why one would do that mod, the DRRI has a extension cab out already, just add extra speaker cab

I've got a Blues Deville 4x10 that I use in my band. It's a great amp, but It's not great for low volume practice because the volume knob is extremely sensitive, and it's either too quiet or too loud. I think the Hot Rod Deville's are the same way, both 4x10 and 2x12. I would aslo recommend a Blues Jr. It's a great practice amp and still plenty of juice if you plan to play out.

I love my Deluxe Reverb (reissue). It consistently delivers beautiful tone and works well with every pedal or guitar I've plugged into it. I haven't had any tube issues yet, but I don't play it as much as I really want to. The tubes seem to be easy to access, so swapping out old tubes shouldn't be much of an issue (aside from having to buy them, and the possibility of a failed tube during a gig).

My Traynor amp requires a LOT of disassembling to get to the tubes, and then some contortionist acts to install the new tubes. I'm not looking forward to replacing tubes in the Deluxe Reverb, but I'm not dreading it like I was when dealing with the Traynor.

I've got a Blues Deville 4x10 that I use in my band. It's a great amp, but It's not great for low volume practice because the volume knob is extremely sensitive, and it's either too quiet or too loud. I think the Hot Rod Deville's are the same way, both 4x10 and 2x12. I would aslo recommend a Blues Jr. It's a great practice amp and still plenty of juice if you plan to play out.

Yeah mine 4x10 is the exact same way. However I only use it live not for practicing so I really have no complaints about it other than it's gd heavy. Superb tone either through my Martin or my Strat, loud as hell, can't ask for much more.

Yeah mine 4x10 is the exact same way. However I only use it live not for practicing so I really have no complaints about it other than it's gd heavy. Superb tone either through my Martin or my Strat, loud as hell, can't ask for much more.

Yeah, I LOVE this amp. Both my band members and I were very happy the day I plugged this beauty up at a show. I use both the amp distortion and a RAT pedal to get the higher gain. It has a great tone that cuts through the mix at live shows, but yes, it does need wheels.

• 2 months later...

Yeah I'd have to agree. Blues Jr is the way to go. Not necessary to get a 2x12...would be too much power for what you're looking for.

The new Princeton reissue is supposed to be amazing. 15 watts, 1x10. You can get the Deluxe reverb for only $50 more, though.

553810.jpg

Had this debate today......................thats funny shit.

I'd say both are smart choice and could be talked into a lower watt amp any day of the weak. I decided not to go with the RI. It's turning out that I'm meeting some good people in the repair and luthier world. I'm making it a goal to own every fender silverface of my birth year, 78.

I'm making it a goal to own every fender silverface of my birth year, 78.

Interesting goal. How many silverface models were available that year?

My friend has a silverface Deluxe Reverb (I don't know what year) and it always sounds incredible, even with crappy guitars.

• 3 months later...

hey, im selling a hotrod deville 4X10 amp at the moment, im looking for around 500 bucks. im willing to negotiate though. its in great condition, i just need a smaller amp. was looking at the blues junior. pm me if anyones interested.

the pro junior is an awesome option and gets massive raves. in fact i think nels raves about them too...

(in fact here is the Gtr Player article where Nels talsk about it - http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/steadf...ons/Mar-05/484)

Yeah, Nels loves those amps. He talks about them on his "Amp Du Jour" essay from the Tech Talk section of his website, which if I remember correctly, is a recap of all the amps he used on a tour with Gregg Bendian's Interzone in which he borrowed an amp at each gig:

http://www.nelscline.com/tech.html

SIXTH GIG: Columbus

AMP: another choice!! A Fender Pro Junior, or one of those "tweed" 50+ watt combos (was it a Fender? I think so). Well, we were playing on a cement floor in front of the high stage at Little Brother's, which meant that I could get away with using one of my favorite amps: The Fender Pro Junior. Sure it's only 15 watts, sure it only has an 8" speaker (a bit thin for my usual 12"-type bass-y tone), but it can be driven JUST A BIT for REAL TONE! Sustain! The first of the tour! I love these amps! They're great for recording, and mine has been very reliable. Thank you, The Avant Collective (bad name for a pretty decent new music bunch)!! I didn't have to end up playing too hard (a pitfall of repeatedly not achieving tone) and I barely used my compressor.

At the end of the essay he awards it the honor of "most valuable amp" of the tour:

MOST VALUABLE AMP (MVA):

Fender Pro Junior of Columbus

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled on this thread. I own a 2x12 Hot Rod Deville. I would have no problem recommending it but the loudness is a factor. I don't think I have ever had it above "4" and that includes playing live. You can't really get that nice screaming tube sound with it so low.

I have thought about getting another amp so it's good to hear your thoughts. I was actually thinking about something like a Mesa/Boogie but I do love that Fender sound.